UKC

Lochivraon Bothy? Does MBA list all the bothies?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 annawells89 22 May 2019

Hey, 

I am planning a munro round this summer and now into the micro planning! 
I'm looking to link up the Fisherfields and Fannaichs via camping near Lochivraon. I have read some old walk reports mentioning a bothy there. However its not listed on the MBA map of bothies. So I have two questions!!
1) Does anyone know if this bothy is still in existence and useable?
2) In general, is the MBA list comprehensive or are there a lot of bothies not included?

Many thanks for any help!
Anna

Welsh Kate 22 May 2019
In reply to annawells89:

I believe Lochivraon is not an MBA bothy, so it won't be included on the MBA bothies list. That list only has bothies maintained by the MBA - other 'private' bothies on estates may well still be available to use on a casual basis, but as far as I know there are no easily available lists of them, and estate owners and the MBA are generally happy with that.

Harry Jarvis 22 May 2019
In reply to annawells89:

Yes, it's still usable, or at least it was at the end of last year, according to this report: 

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=86668

PPP 22 May 2019
In reply to annawells89:

MBA lists only bothies maintained by MBA (although I think there are few non-MBA ones now?). The controversial The Scottish Bothy Bible will have some some non-MBA bothies in it. 

Unfortunately, there's no public list available. A bit of a shame since I don't belong to any walking/climbing clubs and prefer solo adventures, so I don't get to get some list myself! 

DaveHK 22 May 2019
In reply to annawells89:

It's actually quite a nice bothy at least for summer use. In the winter it's hard to heat as it's just a bare tin roof with no cladding or upper floor to hold the heat in. Even has a sort of flushing toilet!

ScraggyGoat 10 Jun 2019
In reply to annawells89:

It is very difficult to say how many non-mba bothies there are, or where.  For a continuous round there are very few (that I'm aware of) that would be useful as bases for munro's (if they were useful they would / are well known).  As noted above the Bible lists most of these. 

It would be difficult to compile or publish an accurate definitive list as estates can open or close them as they see fit, there is no formal right to use them (as per MBA agreements with the bothies they look after with the owners permission), some could become uninhabitable very easily, and just because a building is open doesn't mean the estate intended to leave it open for public use. I've seen several reports of buildings being estate bothies for use when in actual fact they had been broken into, or the stalker, keeper or Ghyllie was on the hill/river and had left the building open for the clients later in the day. Furthermore a list could be counter productive as some estates are happy for limited usage but would not want them publicized and becoming popular, so might lock them should a list be circulated.  Bear in mind Geoff Allan didn't even give the estate owners courtesy of asking them if they wanted their buildings included in his book, and also in Scotland it is (wrongly)  very hard to find out whom owns some bits of land to ask, so to try and contact all owners (even if somebody did know 'them all') to confirm if they would be happy/keep their buildings open in the event somebody went to press would be a big task.

Most of the ones I know are in obscure spots, coasts, islands, moorland away from munro's.

I'm not going to let any cats-out of bags if I suggest that the following might be useful for a munro round, in no particular order:

Glas alt Sheil, Barrisdale, Carnmore, Bendronaig, Lochivroan, Corryhully

If you are not aware the YHA at Altbiethe is useful.

Post edited at 17:00
 rogerwebb 10 Jun 2019
In reply to annawells89:

It was open last month. 

m dunn 10 Jun 2019
In reply to rogerwebb:

Estate have been known to leave a notice at the road end if the bothy is unavailable. Sometimes they allow a group to have priority ...

DaveHK 10 Jun 2019
In reply to m dunn:

> Estate have been known to leave a notice at the road end if the bothy is unavailable. Sometimes they allow a group to have priority ...

Sometimes the army take it over for training.

Sean Kelly 11 Jun 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Flushing toilet best avoided as It seems to block up a bit. Someone needs to look into it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...