UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Lochnagar - Five Munro Loop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steely12 25 Nov 2020

Meikle Pap from the top of Eagle RidgeAn excellent big day out on one of the great Scottish mountains. The five Munros on the route are easily accessed from the Loch Muick car park and form an obvious loop, the perfect get high, stay high route. Ensure that you book some good weather to get the most enjoyment out of the day.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1278

Gawyllie 25 Nov 2020
In reply to Steely12:

Its shorter (27.3km total the last time I recorded it) and more pleasant to descend via the col with the Meikle pap and then down the land rover track That comes over from Deeside. This avoids the slog back along the loch and has the added bonus of granting the traditional brilliant view of Lochnagar's main corrie.

Post edited at 17:32
 ScraggyGoat 25 Nov 2020
In reply to Gawyllie:

Agree odd route choice avoiding viewing the  impressive vista of Lochnagars corrie. Effort wise going clockwise always feels easier, but for a first time visit anti-clockwise aiming to see the corrie lit up in early morning light from the Meikle Pap, or MP Col, with the rays catching the corrie rim and picking out the intricacies of the buttresses, would be my recommendation; even if it does mean an early start.

Post edited at 18:07
 Gawyllie 25 Nov 2020
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Yeah I tend to always go Clockwise so that the slog along the loch is at the start and the gentle decent down the land rover track at the end. Totally agree that with an early start anti clockwise would be worth it for some nice light on the cliffs.

Post edited at 18:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...