UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Maesglase, a Mid Wales Gem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 24 Apr 2020

Looking out from Craig Maesglase on what we have referred to as Pwint y Diafol or The Devil's PointAs you head south on the A470 and drop over the col at Bwlch Oerddrws, you are confronted by the grassy slopes of Maesglase, a magnificent whale of a hillside. Hidden on the other side, in a remote cwm, is Craig Maesglase, a rugged rocky escarpment that runs across the head of the valley. This walk makes a horseshoe around the impressive central waterfall, which is overlooked by what can only be described as something of a Devil's Point or Pwint y Diafol in Welsh. This impressive crest can be traversed to give a pleasant walk with mindblowing outlooks across a remote area of Mid Wales.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1274

Matt Podd 24 Apr 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Brilliant walk, but even better if you start from the Bwlch and do the full circuit of the 2000ft hills and descend to Dinas Mawddwy. We hitchhiked back up to the Bwlch, but there are probably bus routes going to Dolgellau. Lovely engraved boundary stones and great views - doubt you will see a soul after the plane spotters at the Bwlch. The waterfall is a brilliant ice climb in a very hard winter. I can recommend the Red Lion in Dinas Mawddwy - a first class old fashioned pub. Well worth calling into after this or a walk up the Arans. Also a good cafe in the village.

mysterion 24 Apr 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Lots of contouring around with the whole route visible just about the whole time. Some tw*t going up from 8 to 7 whacked one of the farm dogs so the wife was hiding in wait on my way down. It's a permissive path ffs but she was very nice in the circumstances. Never knew about the true summit so I'll have to go back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...