UKC

Map Sharing Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScottishHills 19 Mar 2022

I'm working through all the Munros and have been buying OS maps as I go but the cost is slowly rising and to cover all the peaks, I'd be looking at nearly £2,000 worth of maps (1:25). I know you can print them off from the web but I'd rather have an accurate physical copy with me rather than purely relying on GPS for safety reasons. 

Are there any map sharing systems/apps/communities out there to avoid buying all the maps? 

rubble 19 Mar 2022
In reply to ScottishHills:

you could try your local Library ... although they may only have some relevant to their local area and again might not have 1:25 version you seek.  Worth a shout though as it's a free resource for members.

deepsoup 19 Mar 2022

Your post is a little bit confusing - perhaps you are a little bit confused?

You say you don't want to print off your own maps because you don't want to be reliant on a GPS device - but if you're printing a map you print it on to paper, and then you have a paper map.  There are issues currently with printing perfectly to scale off the OS website (requires a subscription, which is very good value at 20 quid a year to print as many maps as you like) - I'm not holding my breath personally, but hopefully they will be resolved soon.

You can only print up to A3 size, but then I guess you're only likely to have up to an A3 printer.  I have one that I picked up in a sale years ago (it's also handy for printing plans for work), and also an A3 laminator (also a bargain - £19 in Lidl.)  So I print and laminate double-sided A3 maps at home.  They're waterproof so no map case required.

As far as libraries or facilities to share a traditional OS paper map, I dunno - they're generally in the 'reference' section in the library aren't they?  But even if you can borrow one, borrowing it to spend time poring over it while planning your route is one thing, but borrowing it to stuff it in a map case, fold and re-fold it and generally abuse it while you're out in the hills seems like something else.

Maybe you could do something cunning with this: https://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/The-Munros--The-Complete-Collection-o...

daWalt 19 Mar 2022

1:50 scale - double your moneys worth

seriously, it's quite rare that a 1:25 substantially beneficial.

HedleyP 20 Mar 2022

Pack of A4 waterproof paper and a subscription to OS maps and you are good to go. 

As deepsoup said there is an issue with the scale when printing from their new platform where 1km is 39mm as opposed to 40mm but you can still use their old platform which prints correctly.

I stopped buying OS maps a good few years ago and now just print what I need. The waterproof paper is great as it doesn't require a case, folds up/rolls up nice and small so fits in your pocket and because you've only printed the section you need, you aren't having to fold the map all teh time.

In reply to HedleyP:

What printer have you got? I'm thinking about buying a new one primarily for printing maps on, so I'd like to get one that works well with waterproof paper, shows detail adequately, and maybe can print A3.

rubble 20 Mar 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Angus Libraries certainly had OS Landranger maps which were available to borrow but, you're quite right that 'wear and tear' became an issue if they were used on the hill

Phil1919 20 Mar 2022
In reply to rubble:

Library's are certainly great resources. I found myself reading a book whilst waiting for a train in Birmingham Central library and by chance sat next to a complete set of weatherproofed landranger and outdoor leisure maps. I took the chance to browse areas of interest.

HedleyP 23 Mar 2022
In reply to pancakeandchips:

I've got an A4 HP Laserjet Pro 200. It's an old printer now and prints on Waterproof paper and cardstock up to 200GSM.

As its a toner it's a bit expensive to stock up on "ink" but if you buy non HP ones I can get a set of CYMK for £54 which lasts me for a couple of years (personal and business printing but I don't print loads) and they don't dry out and clog up after 5 mins of not using them like inkjet.

Howard 05 Apr 2022

Personally, I prefer 1:50,000, less cluttered and cover a bigger area, which I used when I was doing the Munros.. I have a huge number of maps at this scale, if you would like any, let me know.

TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 06 Apr 2022

To add to previous comments, print outs of OS maps is certainly the most cost effective way to have physical copies of paper maps on the hill when you're moving around different areas lots.

If you want a larger coverage than just one A4 sheet, I've found either printing A3 or printing two (or more!!) A4 sheets and sticking them together both seem to work fine for me (matching both sheets up like a jigsaw is strangely satisfying...). I've never had any bother with the latter strategy when combined with a decent map case. 

Friends who are good at computers have managed to print a 1:50 on one side and 1:25 (covering a key area, of often the whole route) on the other side of a single sheet (of fairly thick paper).

Other things worth bearing in mind are preserving the document scale when you print and making sure your printer has a decent amount of ink in it. 

Martin Hore 06 Apr 2022
In reply to daWalt:

> 1:50 scale - double your moneys worth

Major pedantry alert!  It will quadruple your money's worth.

Martin

daWalt 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

well, theoretically yea - but 1:25s are printed double-sided..... so it's about 1/2.

so nerr :-P

Martin Hore 06 Apr 2022
In reply to daWalt:

It's a pretty unimportant point, but are all 1:25,000 OS maps printed double sided? I thought it was only some outdoor leisure series maps that were.

Martin

daWalt 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

aye, well. I don't know, but I a lot of them certainly are.

just from looking at the overview key-map: most of the map areas are suspiciously rectangular. and they typically cover roughly 1/2 the area of the 50s.

never mind - it was still a good quality clever-bollocks answer, and you can still claim your pedantry points.

just maybe not the full score

veteye 07 Apr 2022
In reply to HedleyP:

I'm not aware of waterproof paper. Presumably it is ready to go (to the outdoors), and does not need laminating(?). Yet if it is waterproof, how does the ink of the printer, penetrate into the paper? Are the colours less vibrant due to a reduced penetration, or a greater thickness of material above where ink lodges in the paper?

What names/brands/types of this paper are there?

deepsoup 07 Apr 2022
In reply to veteye:

Toughprint is the stuff I use, made by Memory Map but bought from OS funnily enough. It's expensive but really good.

https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/toughprint-waterproof-paper-for-inkjet-a4...

It's made specifically for either inkjet or laser printer. The inkjet stuff prints just as well as ordinary paper and has a very slightly waxy texture but otherwise feels just like good quality paper. The result is a tough but not indestructible map that's very resistant to tearing. It is waterproof, but it's possible to smear it a bit of you handle it roughly while it's wet.
(I've never tried with a laser printer but assume it's much the same.)

It's great for printing a map to use like an orienteer (or for actual orienteering) with a thumb compass. So you hold the map in your hand, refolding and reorienting as you go and don't use any kind of case - lasts for several outings like that if dry, maybe only the one if its really wet as it is more prone to getting smudged with a lot of water on the surface.

Fat Bumbly2 07 Apr 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

Not too bothered about scale, due to the grid. I used to make up mosaics of Streetmap on A4 but have been using purchased digital mapping and printing from that.  Telephones are very much a back up. (screen grabs when there is a signal usually).      

Waterproof paper:  One of the many things that I miss from orienteering is the waterproof maps. First tried in 1977 with Tyvek and a faliure due to the ink rubbing off, they came back around 2007 and are now really good. See also Harveys.

Post edited at 08:30
 Fat Bumbly2 07 Apr 2022
In reply to daWalt:

For fans of nice places - the 1:50k and 1:25k maps of Coll and Tiree cover the same area. 1:25k definitely preferred there.

Fat Bumbly2 07 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

No, but most are.  And yes, your route will always require folding them over - the infamous Carneddau Shuffle.  Best done in a stiff breeze or worse for the full experience.

HedleyP 07 Apr 2022
In reply to veteye:

Sorry for delay in replying and I see deepsoup has already answered.

I also use Toughprint, pack of 25 sheets for £19.45 (from Amazon Smile so my local MR team get a donation) so pretty much a £1 a sheet so one needs to be mindful of that but it is great. I went for the laser version as I have a laser printer.

As deepsoup says, don't handle it immediately after printing but after a couple of seconds (laser) its good to go. 

Tough, waterproof, doesn't tear easily, small and easy to manage. love it

TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 07 Apr 2022
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

Sorry if I wasnt clear about this or have misunderstood your point, but what I meant with preserving document scale is that sometimes when printing the computer can change the document (not map) scale before printing (shrinking it to say 97% fit better to the page), meaning that the grids are incorrectly sized for the scale the map is supposed to be (i.e., the printed grid square will be slightly smaller than the romer on your compass thinks 1km should be).

For general munro bagging, I can't imagine this is much of a problem if its only a few %/mm out, but if youre wanting to measure fairly precise distances, it could get quite annoying

Post edited at 09:52
 deepsoup 07 Apr 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

> the computer can change the document (not map) scale before printing (shrinking it to say 97% fit better to the page)

That is a thing, but unfortunately the problems with scale when printing from the 'new' OS website are more fundamental than that - you really do try to print a 1:50k map and end up with about 1:52k ish.

(See the other current thread about that here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/hill_talk/os_map_routes-745246 )

deepsoup 07 Apr 2022
In reply to HedleyP:

> As deepsoup says, don't handle it immediately after printing but after a couple of seconds (laser) its good to go. 

There might be a difference between inkjet and laser there then.  I find mine are ok to handle as soon as they emerge from the printer, but the ink tends to smudge a bit while they're in use later on.

The way I use them is particularly hard on them though, because I have them folded down to about A6 size and carry them in my hand with a thumb compass orienteering style.  So they get folded and re-folded a *lot* and are constantly being mauled in my sweaty paw. 

That doesn't bother me though, because I'm usually checking out a new route for a (what I like to call) 'run' and as long as the map survives the first couple of recces I don't need it after that.

Incidentally, in case it's of interest to anybody, Lidl/Aldi have A3 laminators in once or twice a year.  I have one that I paid £19 for several years ago and it works perfectly so mainly use A3 laminated maps for sea kayaking.  Usually 1:50k OS maps with a few notes about tidal streams, buoyage and things copied over from the marine chart and/or guidebook drawn on by hand before laminating.  They're properly waterproof, so just go under the elastics on the deck.

Fat Bumbly2 07 Apr 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

The grid will shrink at the same percentage as the rest of the map.  Call me Mr Crude Navigator and yes I did have a minor wobble yesterday but the grid is my main goto place for working out distances.  I use a 7NL compass usually.

veteye 07 Apr 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Thank you two for your practical replies about paper for use in map printing.

I have an A3 printer that I have not used for a while, mainly due to lack of free time (and nothing has changed), so I may consider that in the future. Perhaps someone can give me a headsup when there is a Lidl supply of A3 laminators?

Meantime, I have a good number of really battered OS maps that are relevant to the Munro geography. I have all that are needed for completing the list. In fact I have 2 or 3 copies of some areas, often due to use in heavy weather, and the rub effect of the damp on folds, where there are also not infrequently, wear tears in the map.

TechnoJim 07 Apr 2022

As an aside, Go Outdoors currently have the bog standard paper OS maps on sale. If you have MS or BMC membership it gives you a further 10% off, I've just picked up a few for £4.50 each. 

Not as useful on the hill as waterproof prints but good it you're a map obsessive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...