UKC

Munro Round - record attempt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steelbru 01 Aug 2020

Wasn't sure whether to put this in Hilltalk or Running............

Donnie Campbell is attempting to beat Stephen Pyke's record for a self-propelled ( run, bike, kayak, no motorised transport ) round of the Munros - Spyke's record is 39 days and 9 hours.

Donnie set off this morning on Mull - up and down Ben More, has now cycled across Mull, kayaked over to Lochaline, and is now cycling up towards GlenFinnan to do the 2 Munros there, then Gulvain, then cycle to Fort William area, ready for a big day tomorrow over the Ben and heading east.

Tracker, with his very ambitious schedule of 33 days https://live.opentracking.co.uk/donniemunro20

Andy Hardy 01 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Good luck to the lad, but surely starting  in August is a big handicap - stalking and midges and shortening daylight hours?

bouldery bits 01 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Tremendous.

Dave Hewitt 01 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Yes, good luck - will be interesting to see how he gets on. There have been one or two post-Spyke attempts but no one's come close as far as I'm aware. As has already been said, it's quite late to be starting, especially with the shooting season now beginning - Spyke finished on 3 June and Charlie Campbell on 16 July. Plus there might be logistical complications with Covid - outdoor gatherings from five different households is the current status in Scotland so that gives plenty of scope, but car-sharing still isn't allowed as far as I'm aware.

Suspect if all goes well Spyke will offer some help and/or sustenance - I was covering both Charlie Campbell's 2000 attempt and Spyke's in 2010 (was on Ben Hope for both finishes) and Charlie stashed a bottle of malt in the cairn for Spyke while the previous record-holders, Rory Gibson and Andrew Johnston (finished 13 July 1992) did the same for Charlie.

Mind you, as I always tend to say when such attempts are made, it's worth remembering that when Charlie did his fast time in 2000 he swam the three watery bits.

PPP 01 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Surely midges just minimise the amount and duration of breaks, no?  

Andy Hardy 01 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

I had always wondered what they were good for...

colinakmc 01 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Gaun yersel’ Donnie, good luck in your venture. I’d come out in support but it’s a certainty I would slow you down nowadays!

Post edited at 19:44
 Nic Barber 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

I think Dan Duxbery did it about 2 days outside Spyke's time, though he was going for the journey not the record. A few years back. I think he did it a bit earlier in the year - April/May time rings a bell, to fit in between half term and easter holidays - so he also had some snow to deal with.

Spent far too much time today scrolling around that map.

Dave Hewitt 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Nic Barber:

> I think Dan Duxbery did it about 2 days outside Spyke's time, though he was going for the journey not the record. A few years back. I think he did it a bit earlier in the year - April/May time rings a bell, to fit in between half term and easter holidays - so he also had some snow to deal with.

Thanks - I'd forgotten about Dan D, apologies. He took 42 days (in 2014), so sort of split the difference between Spyke and Charlie C:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/features/interview_dan_duxbury_on_hi...

With Spyke there were also concerns that he might be starting too early - here's his schedule (an amazing thing) and he set off from Mull on 25 April:

http://chris-upson.com/Munros/SpykeMunroSchedule.pdf

As it was, the early start seemed to work in his favour as there was a good spell of spring weather and a lot of runnable snow, but any start in the back end of winter is always going to be a bit of a gamble in those terms. Charlie set off in late May which is perhaps the safest percentage option in the too early / best chances / too late considerations.

When Hamish Brown did his original (and best?!) round in 1974 he set off on 4 April and finished on 24 July - and had a month of near-perfect weather early on, too hot if anything. When I did the watershed in 1987 - at a much slower pace! - I started on 11 April with snow still around but it was early May before I got into the Highlands and late-winter conditions didn't really feature at all. I can't now really remember, but I don't think I ever called for an axe to be sent in the weekly supply drop.

ed woods 03 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Very reluctant to be that guy but... Isn't the summit of Beinn Eibhinn said to be 'the other one'? Looking at the tracker.

kwoods 03 Aug 2020
In reply to ed woods:

Can't see which one on the tracker but the east, more obvious, cairn is higher so should be all good. 

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=S&rf=348

GrahamD 03 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

In terms of logistics,  does the bike and or kayak have to be transported around or is it actually possible without that ?

ed woods 03 Aug 2020
In reply to kwoods:

Nice one. Good stuff! I saw it mentioned somewhere once as a common error... My wife and I have long thought we needed to go back (well, she did at least). 

OP steelbru 03 Aug 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> In terms of logistics,  does the bike and or kayak have to be transported around or is it actually possible without that ?

Not sure if I've understood your question....

His support team can have a bike waiting for him at any point, Donnie doesn't need to worry about what happens to the bike whilst he's on the hill, as long as the crew have it ready for him at the point he comes off the hill ( or he might leave it hidden at the bottom of a hill if he can cycle in and out on a track - eg that's what he did at the Glenfinnan 2 on day 1 )

The kayak is only used twice I think - once to get from Mull across to mainland, and the other to get across Loch Lomond either before or after doing Ben Lomond ( haven't looked to see what direction he's doing it ). 

GrahamD 03 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

I think you confirmed what I assumed, thanks.  Sounds mental !

Nic Barber 04 Aug 2020
In reply to ed woods:

The is also the chance (as I assume with Aonach Mor) that the tracker is attached to his back pack and when moving solo he may dump his pack for small out-and-back sections.

65 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Nic Barber:

That is what happened with Aonach Mor. He did note on FB that he’d remember to take it for future out-and-backs.

greg_may_ 04 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Was wandering around the tracker thinking which lines I'd take up a top we're thinking of for tomorrow if the wind dies down.  Wondering if one of the tops are incorrectly indicated?

A' Bhuidheanach (897m) - should this not be marked as A' Bhuidheanach Bheag (936m) which is the Munro? 

Jack Frost 04 Aug 2020
In reply to greg_may_:

Good spot...hope the visibility is good enough when he reaches it to see its not the summit. 

Looks like another massive day today in sh1te weather

Kalna_kaza 04 Aug 2020
In reply to greg_may_:

> A' Bhuidheanach (897m) - should this not be marked as A' Bhuidheanach Bheag (936m) which is the Munro? 

Definitely. I hope he has his GPS file way marked on the correct one! Even in good conditions the Munro summit didn't look too different to the lower summit from the rest of the plateau.

Harry Jarvis 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> Definitely. I hope he has his GPS file way marked on the correct one! Even in good conditions the Munro summit didn't look too different to the lower summit from the rest of the plateau.

I have been in touch with his team and the error appears to be with the people who do the trackers. The error has now been corrected.

Post edited at 14:50
 greg_may_ 04 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Great, it would be a major shame for that to happen.

Nic Barber 07 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Descending to Cairngorm ski car park yesterday, just to re-ascend up to the Ptarmigan first thing this morning - ouch! Wonder what the options would be to avoid that - try and sneak in to the Ptarmigan and kip on the floor there? Add Bynack More on to the end of a long day yesterday and stop at Ford of Avon refuge overnight? Or take a different order with a stop at the refuge.

complaining of tib ant pain/soreness

Post edited at 08:03
OP steelbru 07 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Yeah, spotted that this morning, not sure what the optimum solution was, I'm sure he would have considered a few.

Hopefully he doesn't have any issues at the crossing of the Fords of Avon shortly. After that torrential rain all day Tuesday it would have been doubtful, but hopefully levels have dropped now to a safe level

greg_may_ 07 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Should be ok, I was up that way on Wednesday and it had dropped. Raining now mind you...

Jack Frost 07 Aug 2020
In reply to greg_may_:

I don't know about others but I've been addicted to following the dot this week. I was (and still am) a bit sceptical about his schedule but having watched him over the past 7days I'm starting to believe this might be possible. Really hope his tendon trouble doesn't kybosh it. Go Donnie.

Ally 09 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

I was on the hill with Donnie on Friday and the tendon wasn't too bad. He was moving really well actually. It's mostly getting aggravated by softer rough terrain, like he had in the day on the west Drummochter hills and Monadhliath. So I imagine the last couple of days have been really shit. He wasn't looking forward to today and tomorrow. Plenty rough ground and a lot of kilometres tomorrow but luckily it's one of the ones he can cut short without adding heaps to the next day.

Rachael took his bike up to the Ptarmigan on Thursday afternoon so he at least didn't need to run down through the ski area. I'd assumed he'd free wheel down to Glenmore then ride out to Bynack Stables in the morning, but maybe going back over the shoulder of Cairngorm is just as quick. He's staying in the campervan every night, no bivvies like Spyke did. The thinking is it allows for higher quality recovery, and he's doing most of it on his own so getting kit carried in would be a faff.

OP steelbru 09 Aug 2020
In reply to Ally:

Ally, thanks for the update, great to hear from one of the support team. Fingers crossed for the injury.

Tomorrow does look huge, I think in the interview on here he said it was 80km and 5500m

Mike-W-99 09 Aug 2020
In reply to Ally:

Thanks Ally, it looked like he stopped on Broad Cairn yesterday?

OP steelbru 09 Aug 2020
In reply to Mike-W-99:

The tracker wasn't able to transmit as it lost the phone signal coming off Broad Cairn, but it continued to log his position and uploaded the track this morning once he got back up high and it got a signal again.

From Broad Cairn he descended Bachnagairn and overnighted in the van at Glendoll ( if you zoom in to the tracker you can click on the dots and they show date and time ). Got down to Glendoll at about 16:15 yesterday and left just after 06:00 this morning

65 10 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

I just checked his tracker as I think today is his biggest day. He's currently coming off his last Munro of the day, Carn Liath on Ben a' Ghlo. I note he opted to descend all the way to Glen Tilt from Being Dearg rather than cut across country to Carn a'Chlamian. A very big dog-leg but much easier going underfoot. I hope his injuries aren't playing up. What a mind-bogglingly tough day, and in very humid conditions too. 

Post edited at 20:38
OP steelbru 11 Aug 2020
In reply to 65:

Regards Beinn Dearg to Carn a'Chlamian - he had a mountain bike brought in by his wife to about a mile or so from Beinn Dearg, so he got all the way down to the glen by bike. If you use Strava, you can see all his activities ( he splits his day into separate running and biking activities ), he's making use of a mountain bike quite a lot - extra work for his wife who has to run in after him and retrieve it at start of day, or have it waiting at bottom of hill at end of the day, as well as doing all the driving of the van etc.

An earlier good example was that she had taken a mtb up to the Ptarmigan cafe up high on Cairngorm, so he could ride back down and save his legs a bit

Welsh Kate 11 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

I can't believe the speed with which he's tearing up the hills after so many big days in a row!

Harry Jarvis 11 Aug 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> I can't believe the speed with which he's tearing up the hills after so many big days in a row!

Not only that, but he's often choosing the most direct route, regardless of steepness. Remarkable effort. 

65 11 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Thanks, that makes sense. I didn't think to follow him on Strava. 

baron 11 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

What’s the criteria for being self propelled?

Does having somebody drop off/pick up your MTB count?

Obviously you wouldn’t expect him to carry a kayak around all the hills just to use it a few times.

Although, the way that things are progressing, someone will probably give that a go as well!  

OP steelbru 11 Aug 2020
In reply to baron:

> What’s the criteria for being self propelled?

> Does having somebody drop off/pick up your MTB count?

> Obviously you wouldn’t expect him to carry a kayak around all the hills just to use it a few times.

> Although, the way that things are progressing, someone will probably give that a go as well!  

I not sure if there is a written definition of it anywhere, but I think it simply means that you don't use any form of motorised transport for any part of the journey. It must all be done under your own steam.

So road bike, mountain bike and kayak being made available at any point is acceptable. 

I think the first person to do it ( in the days before the Skye bridge ) swam between Mull/mainlaind and Skye/mainland, but kayak seems to be the acceptable way to go now for Mull and is also used to cross Loch Lomond 

baron 11 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Thanks.

It’s a formidable undertaking no matter what assistance is given.

Dangerous Dave 12 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

His route strikes me as odd for the next few days, looks like he goes South east to Ben Chonzie then Ben Vorlich tomorrow, which makes sense to me. Then he goes back up to Bridge of Orchy on Friday before heading back south to Ben Lomond on Saturday. 

I am sure he has given way more thought than I have an knows what he is doing, just seems a bit back and forth. Will be interesting to see his route.

OP steelbru 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

Yeah, that does look a bit convoluted, heading north to BoO before heading south again, you'd think he'd have done the Crainlarich ones, then the Arrochar ones after Chonzie/Vorlich/Stuc

That must be part of the fun of preparation, poring over maps, going over the countless options, trying to make best use of bikes where possible, etc

Welsh Kate 12 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

He's dropped off the last two munros of today's target - hope he's not injured. Must be a logistical nightmare not and a huge ask to pick those up en route.

OP steelbru 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

From Facebook :

"Well my schedule finally got the better of me today!! I had to drop the last two Munros! Don’t panic I originally only had 3 planned for tomorrow which was basically a rest day so I can pick the two I missed today off before breakfast!! ⁣

Thanks for all the prayers for healing of my ankle/tendon, today was the first day since last Thursday I could run down hill without basically being in tears 😭 with the pain. Still not near 100% but a lot more manageable which made today more fun rather than the last few days which was basically a suffer test!!⁣"

Welsh Kate 12 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Thanks for posting. Thursday did look 'relatively light' (!!), so hope it all works for him.

Welsh Kate 14 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Did he just paraglide off Beinn Mhanach or something? Under 20 minutes to get from the summit to landrover track in the glen!

OP steelbru 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

When we were talking a couple of days ago about what constituted "self propelled" I did wonder if a paraglider would be in the spirit of things or not ! I suppose there's no motors involved, so maybe.....

Then I thought would the effort of carrying that extra weight be worth it compared to the energy and time saved running/cycling down ? At that point I gave up as I've no idea how much they weigh

Kalna_kaza 15 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Looks likes he's come off Ben Lomond and is about the paddle across the loch. All north from here.

Welsh Kate 19 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

I still can't believe how quickly he moves day after day, especially climbing and descending.

I'm particularly enjoying working out how he might get from hill to hill when he's not on the standard Munro routes. Big day today with a lot of height loss and reascent, but the decision to bundle Creise along with the AE and Ballachulish looked sensible.

Harry Jarvis 19 Aug 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I've just been comparing Campbell's efforts so far with Stephen Pyke's round, and I think Campbell is 3 days ahead of Pyke at this stage. Remarkable!

As you say, it's very entertaining working out the potential routes, especially when you know the terrain being covered. He's covering a lot of ground on non-standard routes, so presumably not on paths - which makes the effort even greater. 

Nic Barber 21 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

There was no usual facebook update last night and no tracker movement so far this morning. Hope this is just a lack of signal by Loch Cuiaich and not a retrial due to his tendonitis issues.

Harry Jarvis 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Nic Barber:

He's on the move this morning, approaching the top of Ladhar Bheinn. Coverage in that part of the country is very sketchy - it will better on the tops than lower down. 

Post edited at 09:24
OP steelbru 22 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Shorter than planned day today ( 3 instead of 12 ) to let his ankle recover a bit, to recharge the batteries, and get out of the weather ! Was a very long day yesterday.

The 3 on the north of Loch Quoich done, but leaving the South Glen Shiel Ridge, Sgurr na Signe and The Saddle for tomorrow.

186/282 complete

Welsh Kate 22 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Not entirely surprised on one level - it was a really tough day yesterday, and then the Loch Quoich three followed by the South Glenshiel Ridge and extensions looked mahoosive. Hope his ankle eases up.

andrew ogilvie 23 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

I was camped close to Loch Quoich yesterday and I can confirm the conditions were properly character building.

I decided my character was tall enough and went home again. Good effort putting in another long day in that weather. 

Kalna_kaza 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Looks like he's gone from The Saddle to Beinn Sgritheall, there can't be many people who have taken that route before.

OP steelbru 23 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Yep, another crazy long day ( looks like it was a 4am start this morning ) and I'm guessing he's now going to cycle to Skye and then the Cuillin Ridge ( and probably Blaven ) tomorrow.

Then 14 on the north of Glen Shiel the following day, then a Mullardoch Round the day after, then.......

It just relentless, totally mind blowing what he is achieving

Welsh Kate 23 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

I was wondering if he might do Bla Bheinn this evening on his way over to the Cuillin, it's a bit of a detour on the bike whichever he decides.

OP steelbru 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Possibly.

I've not been in Glen Sligachan, but was wondering if it was suitable for a MTB ?

He could come off SnG, have a mtb waiting, and cycle south down the glen, then depending if there's a way up the back of Blaven head up from the west, or if not cycle to the road and do the normal route. Would save a lot of distance from cycling round by road.

He's from Skye, so I'm sure he'll know the best ways

kwoods 23 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

> Then 14 on the north of Glen Shiel the following day, then a Mullardoch Round the day after, then.......

> It just relentless, totally mind blowing what he is achieving

Yep, just this. Absolutely incredible. Don't know what his ridge tactics are, but the Slig is the closest point of entry to the ridge, it would work going north to south and he did this as a recce run shortly before beginning.

If that was the case, Sgurr nan Eag across to Bla Bheinn is a fairly neat coupling (it's all relative) then he'd be in the best place for biking to Kintail; straight out to Broadford then east.

The run north in a few days will be interesting to see. I guess he would finish the Kintail day at Glen Affric to allow a clockwise Mullardoch round. That gives good access onto the start of Strathfarrar, though I wonder if they'll have issues overnighting in the glen.

It's great to watch this.

OP steelbru 23 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

He's heading to Glenelg ferry crossing, rather than cycling back up over the Mam Ratagan. Must have a mate with kayaks waiting there. That will save quite a bit of cycling time and effort.

Pretty sure Spyke never did this option, think he just kayaked twice, ie Mull to mainland, and across Loch Lomond

kwoods 23 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Into Glen Brittle for a South to North tomorrow. Today has been a rediculously big day.

In reply to kwoods:

At least it looks like he has reasonable weather for the ridge tomorrow.

65 24 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Just checked his tracker, he's on top of Sgurr nan Gillean now. I wouldn't imagine he'll do Blaven this evening, but it will hopefully give him an easier day tomorrow with some cycling to let his muscles recover for the big days ahead. 

greg_may_ 24 Aug 2020
In reply to 65:

Big weather coming in tomorrow as well. Nice not to be up quite as high I'd think!

Harry Jarvis 25 Aug 2020
In reply to greg_may_:

Big weather and a headwind for his cycle back to Glen Shiel. I do hope these aren't the days when it all goes wrong, although he's ahead of Spyke's schedule and could give himself an easier day today. 

kwoods 25 Aug 2020

Conversely seems quite lucky having a singular hill to smooth over the bad day. Hopefully looks like good conds are coming up for putting the foot down through the rest of this week. 

In reply to kwoods:

Apart from he's not just doing the one hill today, he's now cycled back into glen sheil and he's off into the hills again. 

I find it hard to comprehend how much grit it takes to do this day after day whatever the conditions.

kwoods 25 Aug 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

Just seen! Seems to be getting the benefit of being further north on the edge of the rain, if not the wind; Bealach na Ba weather station is fair blowing about today.

Welsh Kate 25 Aug 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

It'll be interesting to see if after Beinn Fhada he'll try to pick up the three westernmost Three Sisters of Kintail on a loop back, or head back after Beinn Fhada.

Harry Jarvis 25 Aug 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Given the weather, he couldn't be blamed for calling it a day after Beinn Fhada and getting some decent rest. Tomorrow's forecast is considerably less unpleasant.

He has been very fortunate with weather this August particularly in W/NW highlands. My weather station is currently recording 0.85 inch of rain in Gairloch for the past 24 days. Last August it was over7 inches for this period and had reached 8.5 inches by the end of the month

James FR 26 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Good progress so far today, it's going to be another long day!

Myr 26 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Incredible stuff.

Looking at Donnie's time between close-together Munros (e.g. 14 mins from Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh to Sgurr a'Mhadaidh) made me wonder:

- Which are the closest two Munros? A quick browse of a map suggests that Sgurr Mhic Coinnich and Sgurr Alasdair would be hard to beat at ~300m apart as the crow flies.

- And what is the fastest time between any two Munros? I would guess not the Skye Munros, if terrain is a more important factor than distance?

Welsh Kate 26 Aug 2020
In reply to Myr:

He was 18 minutes between Tom Buidhe and Tolmount, there may be faster times but I'm on a coffee break from a conference and have to get back...!

His speed for such a sustained period of time is phenomenal though.

kwoods 26 Aug 2020
In reply to Myr:

I once did Ghreadaidh to Mhadaidh in I think 13 mins, and remember noticing Finlay Wild's record Cuillin at something like 7 mins - oooftya! I'd say they are pretty high contenders with the easier terrain, close distance and mainly downhill from one to the other.

Harry Jarvis 26 Aug 2020
In reply to James FR:

I'm assuming he's going to be staying at the Glen Affric Youth Hostel tonight - or it's a long way out to the camper van at the end of the road. I wonder if this means he's been carrying extra overnight gear today?

James FR 26 Aug 2020

I would guess a bike has been brought up the track for him to get to the road. That would also put him in a better position for tomorrow (Toll Creagach)

OP steelbru 26 Aug 2020
In reply to James FR:

Yep, agree with that - his wife will have brought a mtb up Gleann na Ciche as far as she can, then she'll run back to the van. He'll bike back to the van which I guess will be at the parking spot on the shore of the loch where the track heads up towards Toll Creagach

kwoods 26 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Clockwise Mullardoch makes sense, finishing Carn nan Gobhar. My best guess would be a road bike to Struy in absence of overnight under the hills at Strathfarrar?

jpicksley 26 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

I was thinking that would be the most likely. There are certain areas where I've found it fascinating working out his route and mode of transport. It must be great taking some of the lines that he has. Some of them must have hardly ever had another human on them. I regularly look at some of the lines of mountains and think they may never had anyone on them but he's doing some of them. It must be a great adventure.

Kalna_kaza 26 Aug 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Meall Garbh to An Stuc took 18 minutes as well by the looks of it, I'm sure on fresh legs that could be even quicker as distance wise it's very close.

OP steelbru 26 Aug 2020
In reply to kwoods:

I think I read somewhere that every night was going to be in the van, no overnights bivvying/bothying, so yeah that was my thinking. 

Given that Strathfarrer not open for vehicles until, is it 9am ? and he's normally on the move between 6-7am, then I was thinking he'd cycle up the glen to start the Strathfarrer ones, and his wife would go in later with the van and pick up the bike ?

Then anti-clockwise around Loch Monar, and back out from Lurg Mhor by bike from the bothy to the road at Attadale do you think ? Or clockwise around Loch Monar and out at Craig, but you'd think he might as well do Moruisg if he was doing that His schedule has the anti-clockwise order although he has changed a couple of days around

jpicksley 26 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Anti-clockwise around Loch Monar and out from Lurg Mhor to Craig using a mountain bike to freewheel down the track, I reckon. Hopefully they're not staying overnight in that midge infested car park though. That'd be hideous.  Adding on Moruisg would make that day an absolute whopper! But given what he's done to date I wouldn't bet against it.

Welsh Kate 26 Aug 2020
In reply to jpicksley:

Yep, I love the idea that he's running over bits of land that may not have seen human feet for decades or centuries - or ever! An exploration as well as a massive physical and endurance feat!

OP steelbru 26 Aug 2020
In reply to jpicksley:

The reason I thought he might go out to Attadale rather than Craig, is that in the schedule the first top the following day is Maol Chean-dearg rather than Moruisg. 

Quick times between Munros - it was 15 mins between two of the South Glen Shiel Ridge ones, but doesn't beat the 14 mins for the Skye ones

jpicksley 26 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

You may well be right! That's part of the fun for us watchers. Whatever he does it's a monumental effort.

James FR 27 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Now only 2 more Munros left for the day. It looks like he's going to head to Strathfarrar then either bike out to Struy (and back again tomorrow morning) or if they somehow have permission to overnight, stay in the van in Glen Strathfarrar. What a day!

OP steelbru 27 Aug 2020
In reply to James FR:

It was definitely easier to work out the plan for overnight stops, based on the where the support van was, when they were further south with more widespread mobile coverage. We might not find out until he's back up high tomorrow

OP steelbru 28 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

So, going by his tracks that are now showing, looks like they got permission to stay overnight in Glen Strathfarrer last night.

Hope we get a signal all day today, and can follow his route around Loch Monar

jpicksley 28 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

That's a shame. The signal seems to have gone. I'm intrigued to see how he gets across to Maoile Lunndaidh. I'm guessing he'll drop down to the loch via the ridge from Carn Eiteige and then follow the path to near Creag Bhreac and up onto that ridge. What do you think? It's another humdinger of a day. His physical and psychological resilience is really very impressive.

Welsh Kate 28 Aug 2020
In reply to jpicksley:

I was thinking exactly the same thing just now about his route.

His endurance is extraordinary. Yesterday was such a big day anyway, but after nearly a month of big days it was extraordinary that he's still keeping up a really consistent speed on the 'flat' bits, and I'm totally awed by the speed at which he climbs!

James FR 28 Aug 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

There is possibly an alternative route staying a bit higher. Heading west to Druim Dubh, then towards the summit of An Sithean, then between the two small lochs up Maoile Lunndaidh. It's a similar height gain and a bit shorter, but I don't know the terrain at all so it might be a nightmare!

In reply to James FR:

I've done that as part of a winter round of Monar.  Its not too bad so I expect he'll go that way plus he'll bag a corbett if he goes over the summit

Mike-W-99 28 Aug 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Well he’s resurfaced but still a mystery as to how he got there.

looks like his bike is getting delivered from Attadale.

Harry Jarvis 28 Aug 2020
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Well he’s resurfaced but still a mystery as to how he got there.

If nothing else, it's an indication of the limitations of the technology. It's interesting that there's point recorded on the upper slopes of Carn nam Fiaclan, but not on the higher summit of Maoile Lunnaidh, about 1km distant. 

malk 28 Aug 2020
In reply to Full moon addict:

nah, i reckon down to loch using paths would be quicker for a runner esp in cloud (and valley would explain no signal whatever way looks like he made it from Sgurr Fhuar-T to Maoile Lunndaidh in about 2.5 hours!

Post edited at 15:49
 James FR 28 Aug 2020
In reply to jpicksley:

A bit more of the track has appeared: he did indeed drop down to the loch, but following the path down the valley beyond Carn Eiteige

Mike-W-99 28 Aug 2020
In reply to malk:

All filled in now looks a sensible route.

jpicksley 28 Aug 2020
In reply to James FR:

Yeah, I was a bit surprised he took the path so early near Carn Eiteige and not the ridge. He seems to like what appears to me from the map like it would be very rough going but more direct so I thought the ridge was the likely route. I got the Attadale exit wrong as well! Thought he might go via the Craig exit. Shows what I know. I guess I'm looking at it as a walker and, when I ran, an occasional fell runner. I never really liked running on really rough terrain but he seems to thrive on it. I wonder if he might have had advice on lines and terrain from others so he knows what's coming. It really is great to watch and his recovery and resilience is amazing. He deserves all the accolades he's getting and I hope he finishes it off in style.

petestack 29 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Audacious, incredibly-sustained effort, and I really hope he smashes it! But looks like he's on his way back up Moruisg just now having missed the true summit, poor guy...

Dave Hewitt 29 Aug 2020
In reply to petestack:

> Audacious, incredibly-sustained effort, and I really hope he smashes it! But looks like he's on his way back up Moruisg just now having missed the true summit, poor guy...

That's very unfortunate, although it is a bumpy area with quite a few cairns. If Sgurr nan Ceannaichean was still a Munro it presumably wouldn't have happened, as he'd have crossed the top of Moruisg as a matter of course in linking the two.

OP steelbru 29 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

That's going to annoy him - today supposed to be a relatively easy day and he's just given himself an extra 800m climbing.

Welsh Kate 29 Aug 2020
In reply to petestack:

I saw that this morning just before heading out and wondered if he'd missed the summit or it was just his tracker. Obviously the former. That must have been really frustrating - I feel for him!

OP steelbru 30 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Great to see that current holder Spyke turned up and accompanied him up and down Morusig, twice - chapeau sir !

skog 30 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

He's already on his way up the Horns of Alligin, he'll have done his Munros in time for lunch today!

Cycling to Incheril after that, I suppose, with a huge day tomorrow. I wonder whether he'll be tempted to do Slioch this afternoon? It'd mean a bit of doubling-back, but it'd take about 600m of ascent off tomorrow's run.

Post edited at 11:41
 Welsh Kate 30 Aug 2020
In reply to skog:

Nuts isn't it? He'd done what I'd class as a 'big day out' before I'd even stirred from my bed this morning, and now on his third 'big day out'!

skog 30 Aug 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Aye - I can just about imagine being fit enough to do one of his days, but to do it day after day after day is almost superhuman!

malk 30 Aug 2020
In reply to skog:

or maybe a 'rest day' after yesterday? wondering if he may bike it via Heights of Kinlochewe to get to lochan Fada (and do Slioch from there)?

Welsh Kate 30 Aug 2020
In reply to malk:

Slioch certainly makes that 'yellow day' a lot more pain! But Ben Wyvis does the same to the Fannichs day.

Pero 30 Aug 2020

When's he due to finish?

OP steelbru 30 Aug 2020
In reply to Pero:

According to his schedule ( you can see it in the tracker which is linked in top post in the thread ) he has 4 more days, so would be Thursday. He is currently a day behind his original plan which had him finishing on Wednesday

Although I'm sure I recall him mentioning ( perhaps jokingly ? ) in one of his earlier FB updates that he might try and combine the last 2 days - that would be a ( yet another ) absolutely epic day if he did that, especially in terms of the amount of cycling.

skog 31 Aug 2020
In reply to malk:

He's on top of Slioch now, and went by the normal route.

I suppose that, while it's a monster day today, it's no bigger than some of the others he's done already!

At least it isn't pouring with rain, raising the river - that could have been a real barrier for him, maybe even adding a day if it was high.

mountainbagger 31 Aug 2020
In reply to skog:

Apologies if someone has already posted this, but if you love stats, he's been uploading all his activities to Strava:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/7386532?hl=en-GB

I had no idea quite how ridiculous some of the days were until I looked at that!

fimm 31 Aug 2020

Another who has recently joined the band of dot-watchers here... it has been fascinating to watch and I too am amazed at Donnie's ability to keep on going day after day.

Question - from the tracker trace I am looking at, it looks as though he has missed some - is that just a function of the tracker not loading some older data properly?

As I type, I see that he's done an out-and-back to Sgurr Ban in the Fisherfields, not going on to Beinn a' Chlaidheimh. Quite right, it isn't a Munro. Now. It was a Munro when I climbed it. So here's another question - how many Munros did the previous holder of the record do? 

Harry Jarvis 31 Aug 2020
In reply to fimm:

> As I type, I see that he's done an out-and-back to Sgurr Ban in the Fisherfields, not going on to Beinn a' Chlaidheimh. Quite right, it isn't a Munro. Now. It was a Munro when I climbed it. So here's another question - how many Munros did the previous holder of the record do? 

The current record holder is Stephen Pyke, who did his round in 2010, covering 283 Munros. 

http://munros2010.blogspot.com/

I've lost track of which previous Munros have been taken off the SMC list and when they were demoted. 

kwoods 31 Aug 2020

Beinn a' Chlaidheimh demoted two years later for the only change between them. I'd think the time advantage is so infinitesimally small it'd account for maybe half an hour or so at Donnie pace, or a fraction of a percent of total effort.

malk 31 Aug 2020
In reply to skog:

> At least it isn't pouring with rain, raising the river - that could have been a real barrier for him, maybe even adding a day if it was high.

cool, light cloud, gentle southerly breeze sound ideal conditions for him today and the best scenery in scotland must be giving him a buzz..

OP steelbru 31 Aug 2020
In reply to fimm:

> Question - from the tracker trace I am looking at, it looks as though he has missed some - is that just a function of the tracker not loading some older data properly?

The tracker system only seems to hold a finite number of data points, and Donnie has exceeded this, I think it works out about 20 days worth for the size of days he's doing.

So every time he creates a new data point ( which looks like every 11 minutes ) then one drops off. Shame, as it would have been nice to go back and check out his route on some of the sections where he links up groups not normally done together. However, as mentioned above, his strava profile is public, so you can see all his days there, just not in one big continuous "view"

In reply to steelbru:

Wow, he's making this look too easy. I thought this was going to be a really long day, (for me it would be a REALLY long day) but it looks like he is going to be back to the road in time for his tea.

Post edited at 14:56
 skog 31 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

So, presumably kipping in the camper van by Loch a'Bhraoin tonight, then along the Fannichs tomorrow (less Fionn Bheinn, already ticked), cycling out from Loch Fannich to Grudie and round to Ben Wyvis, then cycling to either the end of Strath Vaich or the W end of Loch Glascarnoch ready for Wednesday? It looks a bit rainier then, but I don't think there are any major river crossings after he gets on to Am Faochagach. Cycling out Strath Mulzie then what, up Glen Oykel to get to Conival and Ben More Assynt? And where from there, across the moors NE to the NW end of Loch Shin, then round to the Crask or thereabouts? Quite a day, with a fair bit of support work moving his bike, if it's anything like that. That would just leave a final day most of us could manage (albeit in a long May or June day!)

OP steelbru 31 Aug 2020
In reply to skog:

After Conival and BMA, rather than lots of foot miles across pathless ( I'm guessing from looking at the map ) terrain to Loch Shin and even more to get to Crask Inn, would it be worth having a bike up Glen Cassley ( looks like a track within 2.5km of BMA ) and cycle all the way down to Rosehall, across to Lairg, then up to Crask ?

I suppose it depends on what the underfoot conditions are like for going cross country, can't imagine many have ever thought about going from BMA to Ben Klibreck cross country.......

Harry Jarvis 31 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

> After Conival and BMA, rather than lots of foot miles across pathless ( I'm guessing from looking at the map ) terrain to Loch Shin and even more to get to Crask Inn, would it be worth having a bike up Glen Cassley ( looks like a track within 2.5km of BMA ) and cycle all the way down to Rosehall, across to Lairg, then up to Crask ?

> I suppose it depends on what the underfoot conditions are like for going cross country, can't imagine many have ever thought about going from BMA to Ben Klibreck cross country.......

He doesn't really seem to be hindered by the lack of paths. The way he's covering difficult terrain is astonishing. Having said that, I imagine the cross-country from Loch Shin to Crask would be a bit of a quagmire, even in dry weather. 

skog 31 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

> would it be worth having a bike up Glen Cassley ( looks like a track within 2.5km of BMA ) and cycle all the way down to Rosehall, across to Lairg, then up to Crask ?

Yeah, that might make more sense - it's a wee bit further on the bike, but would make the running a fair bit easier and avoids crossing the River Cassley.

skog 31 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Looks as if he's decided to pick off some of the Fannichs this evening!

OP steelbru 31 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Wow, he's on the move again, looks like he's doing some of the Fannich's this evening !!!

Obviously Slioch, Fisherfield, An Teallach and a 10 mile cycle was not enough.......... 

Does this imply he's going to try and finish on Wednesday ??

OP steelbru 31 Aug 2020
In reply to skog:

Oops, cross post !

Pero 31 Aug 2020
In reply to kwoods:

> Beinn a' Chlaidheimh demoted two years later for the only change between them. I'd think the time advantage is so infinitesimally small it'd account for maybe half an hour or so at Donnie pace, or a fraction of a percent of total effort.

If someone missed out 385 yards of the marathon the previous record holders might have something to say about it. 

oldbloke 31 Aug 2020
In reply to skog:

Wonder if he's close enough to the end to extend days, cut rest and try and finish before the weather breaks.  Looks grim end of the week.

skog 31 Aug 2020
In reply to oldbloke:

I suppose if he can run by head torch, he might even do the circuit of 5 this evening.

Finishing on Wednesday would be astounding, but maybe possible.

I can barely believe his stamina!

skog 31 Aug 2020
In reply to Pero:

It's a self-propelled round of the Munros.

The Munro list has changed; unless the previous holders made sure to include Beinn an Lochain at Arrochar, this is quite legitimate.

In reply to fimm:

I think Spyke deliberately avoided a demoted Munro on his round when he did it as a tip of the hat to the previous record holder Charlie Campbell so that he would still hold the record for the 284 Munro round. Really nice touch that. This achievement by Donnie is absolutely amazing and really hope he finishes strongly as he appears to be doing as just started the Western Fannichs right now.

gavmac 31 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Definitely worth trying to take advantage of today's weather... But what a day! 

kwoods 31 Aug 2020
In reply to Pero:

Just as well it's not a marathon.

Do you have an axe to grind?

kwoods 31 Aug 2020
In reply to gavmac:

> Definitely worth trying to take advantage of today's weather... But what a day! 

Slioch to An Teallach and over to the Fannaichs.... that's brilliant. He is so on fire.

Dave Hewitt 31 Aug 2020
In reply to skog:

> The Munro list has changed; unless the previous holders made sure to include Beinn an Lochain at Arrochar, this is quite legitimate.

As skog says, the tradition is that you do the round as it is at the time. But it's worth noting that the "marathon" is currently longer than it has been at various points in the past - there have been lots of these continuous rounds and when Hamish Brown did the first one in 1974 there were only 279 Munros on the list; a few years later it had dropped to 276, and for a long time it was 277. Anyway, Donnie Campbell has climbed Moruisg 1.999 times during his effort, so that compensates quite nicely for the reduction from 283 to 282 since Spyke's round.

Plus it's almost axiomatic with these things that no two rounds are really comparable - eg strictly speaking neither Spyke's effort nor Donnie C's can be compared with Charlie Campbell's 48-day round given that he swam the three watery bits whereas Spyke and Donnie C used kayaks.

In reply to Pero:

If he only takes a minute off the record then you could possibly argue if it is valid.

If you take 5 days off the record, arguing about a few hundred metres would seem petty in the extreme.

As other post has said it seems a nice touch that past holders could still claim to be record holders, on very slightly different courses.

colinakmc 31 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

8.04pm and he’s nearly at the summit of a’Chaillach....is he actually going to stop tonight or are the Fannaichs history?

Absolutely amazing. Puts these fanny’s on bikes for the TDF in their place....

OP steelbru 31 Aug 2020
In reply to colinakmc:

Moment of truth very shortly - is he going back down the glen to the van, or heading up for another 3 ??

petestack 31 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Support tracking now showing near Garbat!

Post edited at 20:34
 Dangerous Dave 31 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Going by the support position looks like he is going for the lot!!

65 31 Aug 2020
In reply to petestack:

Yes, wow, looks like the van is heading to Lochluichart, I assume his wife, or someone, will ride a bike in for him to roll out on. My God, what a day in the hills this is turning out to be.

oldbloke 31 Aug 2020
In reply to petestack:

Just awesome, so Fannichs in the dark, quick rest then Wyvis to Inchnadamp tomorrow to leave the last 4 for Wed?  In the spirit of Mike Hall.

OP steelbru 31 Aug 2020
In reply to petestack:

Good spot - so it's all of them. Wow !!!

Nice wee night time cycle up the glen, then run back for Rachael !!

BALD EAGLE 31 Aug 2020
In reply to steelbru:

What a day! Go Donnie go!

jpicksley 31 Aug 2020
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

At the beginning of this I wondered if he'd get injured or have to use some days for rest or in fact just get stronger. Clearly it's the latter! Regardless of how it compares to other rounds I think we're seeing something special here. His present level of fitness must be remarkable and I'm amazed at his resilience.

Welsh Kate 31 Aug 2020
In reply to jpicksley:

Blimey, I went out on a callout just as he was heading up Sgurr Breac and expected to come back to see him snug in the van on the A832 and I've just got back and he's still out there. After doing Slioch, the Fisherfields AND An Teallach already. It's just mind-blowing!

Post edited at 23:25
 kwoods 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Just landed at Grudie, 17 Munros and 19 hours later!

Kalna_kaza 01 Sep 2020
In reply to kwoods:

And he's not finished yet. 04:30 now and he's coming down Ben Wyvis. An unbelievable effort.

Dangerous Dave 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

On the move again already. I wonder if he will go all out today and not stop until he is finished? What a beast!

skog 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

Ha, yeah - lost a day on your schedule? No problem, just don't sleep one night...

This does have the look of a final sprint for the line, using up what he has left. It's just that it's a 2-3 day final sprint!

kwoods 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Ha, I went to bed. And up Am Faochagach.

jpicksley 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

A benefit of doing Ben Wyvis at that time of the day is you might get a parking spot.

Kalna_kaza 01 Sep 2020
In reply to jpicksley:

Ah yes, a common misconception that either the In Pin, motivation or physical ability presents the biggest hurdle to a would be compleater, it is in fact one's ability to find a parking spot 😂

jpicksley 01 Sep 2020
In reply to skog:

I suspect he's checked his diary and realised he has an appointment for something or other on Thursday as this adventure keeps getting more and more audacious.

fimm 01 Sep 2020
In reply to MalcyversustheMunros:

> I think Spyke deliberately avoided a demoted Munro on his round when he did it as a tip of the hat to the previous record holder Charlie Campbell so that he would still hold the record for the 284 Munro round. Really nice touch that. This achievement by Donnie is absolutely amazing and really hope he finishes strongly as he appears to be doing as just started the Western Fannichs right now.

Oh, interesting that.

I was just being pedantic. 

I was gobsmacked to realise he'd gone on to the Fannichs yesterday evening!

BALD EAGLE 01 Sep 2020
In reply to skog:

> This does have the look of a final sprint for the line, using up what he has left. It's just that it's a 2-3 day final sprint!

Donnie has just mopped up Eididh nan Clach Geala and is now off for the superbly positioned and remote Seana Bhraigh. I've only approached Seana from Inverlael and the support vehicle is parked at lower Strath Mulzie so I guess the vehicle can be driven at least as far as Corriemulzie Lodge? Or at the least a bike dropped off there?

Anyway it does have the look of a final sprint for the line before the bad weather arrives and a truly amazingly gobsmacking achievement by Donnie so far. Fingers crossed for the final 5 munro's and great to see that the target has already been exceeded for British Red Cross. It would be ace if anyone who has been following this thread on UKC, been hooked by the dot watching whilst trying to guess the some of the routes taken to link up the monster rounds could donate a few £ if they have not already...

Cheers

Dave

Post edited at 11:59
 malk 01 Sep 2020
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

will do. looks like Donnie may compleat later today? which would be  under 32 days according to time taken?

Post edited at 12:21
 Stenton 01 Sep 2020
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Strath Mulzie is bikeable from a lot further up than the lodge, should be a quick ride out

OP steelbru 01 Sep 2020
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I've been following him on Strava since early July, and he recce'd Seana Bhraigh from the Strath Mulzie option back then, think he biked pretty far in, so sure his wife will be delivering the bike in to the same spot.

skog 01 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

I think the bike was delivered earlier - the van was up Strath Mulzie, but is now back at the main road. His wife or whoever's supporting presumably now needs to run up Glen Oykel as far as he'll be cycling, to take the bike from there when he arrives and get it round wherever he's planning to come down to from Ben More Assynt.

He won't be able to complete the whole round in daylight today - I wonder whether he'll push on after dark, or leave the finish until tomorrow?

65 01 Sep 2020
In reply to skog:

I guess we'll know soon. He's almost at the Strath Oykel main road, I do wonder if he is emptying the tank and aiming to finish today. Following his tracker has become as riveting as a Tour mountain stage.

skog 01 Sep 2020
In reply to 65:

Yeah, I keep checking it too!

jpicksley 01 Sep 2020
In reply to skog:

I think he'll leave the last two for tomorrow. I don't see how he can have had any sleep since yesterday morning. He must be running on fumes. I think he'll want to be fresh for tomorrow to really enjoy it. He certainly deserves too. If he cracks on tonight he'll be totally wasted. But given his performance to date I wouldn't be surprised he just goes for it and finishes it tonight!

Mike-W-99 01 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

He has got very good weather for it if a bit breezy. Can see his last few hills from the crag today.

like others can’t believe the ground covered yesterday. We covered some of the same ground over the last 3 days and that was pretty much with us going at a brisk pace.

Post edited at 14:55
 skog 01 Sep 2020
In reply to jpicksley:

He's going an unexpected way (or at least, not the way I expected) - heading up towards Inchnadamph, with the van stopped about 3km south of there.

Edit - the van's at Inchnadamph now.

Post edited at 14:54
 malk 01 Sep 2020
In reply to skog:

seemed quickest to me then van to other side of Assynt and cycle down Glen Cassley..

jpicksley 01 Sep 2020
In reply to malk:

I thought the same but what it did do was make me look closely at Glen Oykel and that looks like it could be a really nice approach to the two munros using the two ridges either side of the River Oykel with an approach by bike. Looks brilliant.

colinakmc 01 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Has he got enough of a support team to carry him down off Ben Hope? I think he’d deserve it! Wonder what it feels like for him, having 4/3/2 left to do? Quite humbling, watching this unfold.

petestack 01 Sep 2020
In reply to 65:

> Following his tracker has become as riveting as a Tour mountain stage.

Much more to some of us!

skog 01 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

Almost up Ben More Assynt and the van's still showing at Inchnadamph. Is he going back down there for a pint?

jpicksley 01 Sep 2020
In reply to skog:

Don't tell me he can take his drink as well?

Kalna_kaza 01 Sep 2020
In reply to skog:

Definitely heading back to the van now (18:15). Perhaps he's finally going to get a proper rest and have a big bike ride tomorrow to finish Ben Klibreck and Ben Hope.

skog 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Pitiful. Not even 37 hours of near-continuous hill running and cycling, after a mere 32 days on the trot, and he's already stopping to rest?!

BALD EAGLE 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> Definitely heading back to the van now (18:15). Perhaps he's finally going to get a proper rest and have a big bike ride tomorrow to finish Ben Klibreck and Ben Hope.

Donnie's back on his bike again and has just left Inchnadamph...

Kalna_kaza 01 Sep 2020
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

> Donnie's back on his bike again and has just left Inchnadamph...

Defying all expectations, again! 

Dave Hewitt 01 Sep 2020
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

> Donnie's back on his bike again and has just left Inchnadamph...

Fascinating and entertaining though the recent mega effort has been, he needs to be careful - he could do himself some damage here.

Jack Frost 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

He's got 50miles to cycle to BK. Not sure I would want to be driving that road knowing what will be coming at me on two wheels. 

What's that coming over the hill? Is it a monster? Is it a monster?

youtube.com/watch?v=qZtJxhp7mUw&

Totally enthralled by this effort, as unpredictable as....?

Dave Hewitt 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Jack Frost:

> He's got 50miles to cycle to BK. Not sure I would want to be driving that road knowing what will be coming at me on two wheels. 

That was partly my thinking - he almost certainly shouldn't be driving a vehicle in his current state and it's therefore debatable whether he should be cycling on a public road. Plus there must surely be concerns about his general health - I don't know him at all but everyone has their limits. I'm keen to see him succeed as much as the next person - and he has several days in hand to beat the record - but having been involved journalistically in Charlie Campbell's 48-day effort in 2000, I can remember how he too went for a big sustained no-sleep finish (but not as big as Donnie's C's one) and started getting hallucinations on the bike, quite worrying.

BALD EAGLE 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

It looks like Donnie's other half in the motorhome is providing a "protective arm" and mega-support by following him closely behind! Maybe another 20 miles or so to the start of Ben Klibreck and surely some rest before the final push tomorrow morning before the bad weather arrives? What will he do? Go Donnie Go! The tension is unbearable...

65 01 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

> Much more to some of us!

Ha ha, aye, I get that. 

Gripping stuff now to see if he heads up Ben Klibreck tonight or gets a decent sleep at the base before what for him will be a very short but I imagine weary day. He must be on such a high though with it all but in the bag.

Robert Durran 01 Sep 2020
In reply to colinakmc:

> Has he got enough of a support team to carry him down off Ben Hope? I think he’d deserve it! 

I hope that the finish is down at the road rather than at the summit of Ben Hope - it would just seem more authentic. One of the things I love about this is that I am finding it possible to relate to what he is doing in that he is just having a series of big days in the hills like any of us might do, albeit at an almost superhuman level. And a day on the hills finishes back down at the road.

Post edited at 22:45
 colinakmc 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

I know what you mean - your day isn’t over at the summit - but I was just taking it from his own description on his just giving page, of aiming to finish on Ben Hope. 

Is it not also the case that other record attempts whether Cuillin ridge, Ramsay round or whatever, are measured summit to summit rather than car park to car park?

Post edited at 23:14
 Dave Hewitt 01 Sep 2020

> I hope that the finish is down at the road rather than at the summit of Ben Hope

Unlikely to be - that's not the way these things tend to work. I was on Ben Hope with both Charlie C and Spyke and each time the summit arrival felt like the main event - after which there was some sitting/standing about and then a general ambling downhill. Both were in very good conditions however - especially Charlie's. He was late re the plan, and I got there early to be on the safe side, so there was a five-hour wait in lovely weather. Glad I took a book, though!

petemeads 01 Sep 2020

He certainly started an hour before his first summit so I'm sure he will take his overall time once back at the road. Actually, it ought to be his starting point I suppose!

Dave Hewitt 01 Sep 2020
In reply to petemeads:

> He certainly started an hour before his first summit so I'm sure he will take his overall time once back at the road. Actually, it ought to be his starting point I suppose!

Charlie C in 2000 deliberately eased up towards the end to ensure he arrived at the top of Ben Hope pretty much precisely 48 days 12 hours after having started. I think (although not sure) he took sea level before Ben More Mull as his start-time, but the trig on Ben Hope was certainly the chequered flag as it were.

Remarkable that Donnie C is going to take almost a third off Charlie's time - although I can recall both Charlie and Spyke musing on the possibility of "the Munros in a month", so 31 days is perhaps the next target for someone.

petestack 01 Sep 2020
In reply to 65:

> Gripping stuff now to see if he heads up Ben Klibreck tonight

On his way now!

Post edited at 23:19
 kwoods 01 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

Just about to say the same. Wow!

colinakmc 01 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

23.21 and he’s off again! About a k east of the van. Unbelievable.Go Donnie.

petestack 01 Sep 2020
In reply to kwoods:

Sub-33 days if he finishes by 6:00am!

Welsh Kate 01 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

Wasn't expecting that!

65 01 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

Yes, just noticed. Is that a good/commonly used place to start? I went up Ben Klibreck a couple of years ago and I’m certain I started a bit south of where he is, and followed the broad ridge all the way, easy going from memory. I guess he is happy with a steep direct route.

Trivia note: my walk up Klibreck was on my maiden voyage in my campervan which I’d bought from Donnie about 2 weeks previously, so as I’m sat in it right now this is a particularly engaging part of his round.

kwoods 01 Sep 2020
In reply to 65:

> Yes, just noticed. Is that a good/commonly used place to start? I went up Ben Klibreck a couple of years ago and I’m certain I started a bit south of where he is, and followed the broad ridge all the way, easy going from memory. I guess he is happy with a steep direct route.

One thing I've noticed is he often takes the established route around the hills even if there's a pathless shortcut, or prioritises the standard routes even if they add many miles. I wonder if that is intentional or not, maybe he'd rather have kept the pace up on erosion paths and tracks over going off-route? Unsure.

One thing's for sure. Every single day he's done has been impressive as feck. This is on another level, hard to believe yesterday morning he was in Kinlochewe. I am totally inspired, and more, right now. Might stay up to see what happens.

Robert Durran 01 Sep 2020
In reply to 65:

> Yes, just noticed. Is that a good/commonly used place to start?

He seems to have gone for the shortest direct route. I remember a boggy path from the bridge about a mile south of his starting point up towards the low point on the ridge.

65 01 Sep 2020

Yes, that’s it. It was pretty boggy so his direct route may make more sense to him.

kwoods 02 Sep 2020
In reply to 65:

2am and cycling to Ben Hope.

Kalna_kaza 02 Sep 2020
In reply to kwoods:

04:30 almost at the top of the first steep section on Ben Hope before the long south to north drag up to the summit. He'll be there before sunrise but should start to get some daylight on the way down.

Kalna_kaza 02 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Looks like he's made it to the top at or just after 05:00. A stunning achievement.

skog 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Yeah, well done Donnie!

jpicksley 02 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Phenomenal. Congratulations to the man. And remember he's just gone 2 days without sleep to finish it. A bit sad it's over time be honest. Been loving watching it live. Well done, Donnie!

DT 02 Sep 2020
In reply to jpicksley:

An truely awesome achievement and what a catch-up over Monday/Tuesday this week!

Puts my 25-year time in the shade a little.

Someone's bound to try the calendar month time soon. Would be a shame if they weren't totally self-propelled though.

BALD EAGLE 02 Sep 2020
In reply to DT:

Wow, wow and double wow just woke up to the news and an absolutely mind-blowing achievement so a maa-hoosive congratulations to Donnie and his Support! Just amazing and puts my 22 year compleation into perspective...  

OP steelbru 02 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

> Sub-33 days if he finishes by 6:00am!

Sub 32, not sub 33 😀, ie 31 days,  23 hours, and 2 mins

Huge congrats to Donnie, great physical and mental resolve to achieve what he's just done. Also fantastic planning over a number of months, working out where he could improve on Spyke's schedule.

Also, fantastic effort by his wife Rachael, remember she's been living in a van for 32 days, driving around narrow single track roads, running after him to retrieve a bike, cycling in to bottom of hills to drop a bike off, then there's all the other mundane stuff - shopping, cooking, washing, physio, massage, etc,etc

gavmac 02 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Just in complete awe! You are correct to highlight the team effort which has made it possible. Following Donnie on Instagram has been interesting as you could really see the emotional dip in the middle but over the last 7-8 days he's been like a machine. 

I just feel inspired by the achievements of Donnie over the last month, alongside Finlay smashing the Ramsey Round record. My brain is trying to recalibrate.

DT 02 Sep 2020
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

That Monday/Tuesday section reads like an Irvine Butterfield spoof: "Slioch (2 hours) but fit parties might want to extend the round by adding the Fisherfield 5, An Teallach, all the Fannaichs, the Ben Dearg Ullapool group (including the distant, isolated Seana Bhraig and Am Foacagach), Ben Wyvis, and then knock off the 4 Northern outliers for a longer day / itinerary too awful to contemplate."

That would take me fortnight.

Post edited at 08:15
 petestack 02 Sep 2020
In reply to DT:

> Someone's bound to try the calendar month time soon. Would be a shame if they weren't totally self-propelled though.

It's basically a different record if they're not, and no-one capable of going sub-31 (if there is anyone?) is going to want a compromised, less-recognised version.

In reply to steelbru:

Sub 32, not sub 33 😀, ie 31 days,  23 hours, and 2 mins

Yes, of course! He'd just have been into a 33rd day after 6:00am.

Dave Hewitt 02 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Remarkable achievement - congratulations to Donnie C and to the support team too. As others have said, the final big push in the north has been quite something. Glad he got round safely. The would of the Munros has changed considerably over the past couple of decades, but by any definition for someone to have managed a self-propelled round inside 32 days is an amazing thing.

fimm 02 Sep 2020

> Sub 32, not sub 33 😀, ie 31 days,  23 hours, and 2 mins

Just Wow. 

Welsh Kate 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Disappointed in a way not to have been able to watch the dot reach the top, but like everyone else just wowed by the achievement, especially the way he's torn through the north with such stamina and determination. Still can't get over his uphill speed!

65 02 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Wow, just wow! This is a level of endurance beyond my imagination. Outstanding, chapeau Donnie. 

Williecleuch 02 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Wow!!

Dave Hewitt 02 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

> It's basically a different record if they're not, and no-one capable of going sub-31 (if there is anyone?) is going to want a compromised, less-recognised version.

There was an obscure kerfuffle a few years ago in the obsessive world of Marilynbagging. Someone managed 24 Marilyns in 24 hours by the normal method of a self-propelled linking-up of various ridges etc. Someone else then got a friend to drive them round lots of much lower separate bumps (in the Welsh Borders I think, although not sure) and managed 24 in 24 hours that way. They then got quite annoyed when this wasn't universally regarded as the equivalent of the traditional method.

In reply to steelbru:

No bad for  a Campbell, albeit a Sgiathanach!

Seriously, a superhuman effort. Any Macdonalds out there willing to take it on?

petestack 02 Sep 2020
In reply to colinakmc:

> Is it not also the case that other record attempts whether Cuillin ridge, Ramsay round or whatever, are measured summit to summit rather than car park to car park?

Cuillin ridge, yes. Ramsay and other similar rounds, no.

petestack 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> Someone else then got a friend to drive them round lots of much lower separate bumps (in the Welsh Borders I think, although not sure) and managed 24 in 24 hours that way. They then got quite annoyed when this wasn't universally regarded as the equivalent of the traditional method.

We don't list challenges where the participants drive or are driven on the SHR Long-Distance pages except where of historical interest, e.g. Martin Moran's Munro round.

Dave Hewitt 02 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

> We don't list challenges where the participants drive or are driven on the SHR Long-Distance pages except where of historical interest, e.g. Martin Moran's Munro round.

A continuous Munro Round but getting back to where you started - as per the Ramsay etc - would be interesting, both in terms of how fast it could be done and also where would be the optimum starting point. There have been quite a lot of continuous rounds (could well be above 25 by now), and when I put together a list of known rounds for TAC a decade or so ago it was striking how many didn't have the standard Mull start / Hope finish format.

colinakmc 02 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

Useful to know, I’ll only ever be in the running for slowest ever Ramsay’s round!

Dave Hewitt 02 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

Here's the TAC list - it dates from 2006 (pre-Spyke) and almost certainly wasn't complete even then.

http://theangrycorrie.epizy.com/Tac68/tac68singleta.htm

There are 23 rounds here (22 names as the late Steve Perry appears twice), so my suggestion a few minutes ago of it maybe now being above 25 was clearly over-cautious - on this basis, and from what I know of the intervening period, I'd say there have probably been somewhere around 40 continuous rounds. They're all amazing achievements, as of course is Donnie Campbell's effort, although looked at overall I still think that Steve Perry's second round - his winter one - is perhaps the most remarkable of all. The deliberately long/slow ones taking in additional lists - Caldwell, Allum, Lincoln - are particularly noteworthy too.

I'll rootle about in some notes and see if I can add a few post-2006 names.

MJAngry 02 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Is it possible to see his tracking now that he has finished?

The track lines seem to have disappeared now.

Dave Hewitt 02 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

Here are another 12 rounds to go with the 23 on that 2006 TAC list:

Graham Williams, 2006 (start/end unknown but finished a normal round on Tom Buidhe 16/8/06 en route)
John Dunbavin, start BMM 16/5/08, end Ben Hope 1/10/08
Trevor Galloway, start Ben Lomond 13/4/09, end Ben Hope 10/8/09
Gerry McPartlin, end Ben Chonzie 6/7/10
Tom O'Connell, start BMM, end Ben Hope 18/9/11 (48d 6h 56m - five hours faster than Charlie C, but slower than Spyke)
Peter Holder / Joe Mann, start Mount Keen 17/5/12, end Ben Hope 17/7/12
Will Copestake, start BMM, end Ben Hope 11/5/14
Jack Campbell, start Ben Vorlich (not sure which one) 1/6/15, end Ben Lomond 18/10/15
Lisa Trollope / Libby Kerr, start BMM 3/7/17, end Ben Hope 17/9/17
Donnie Campbell, start BMM 1/8/20, end Ben Hope 2/9/20

So that's 35 minimum but there are almost certainly more - and I haven't really been on the case these past few years. I've a feeling that one of the rounds done by John Fleetwood of this parish might have been continuous, but I'm not sure.

It looks like the Jack Campbell round from 2015 might have completed the circle and returned to the starting-point, but again I'm not sure. Generally people have started and finished on Munros that are far apart from each other, although Craig Caldwell in 1985 (when he also took in all the Corbetts) started with Beinn Bhuidhe and ended on Ben Lomond.

In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Clan Campbell certainly features strongly, Dave. Maybe it,s in the genes.

Scomuir 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

There are definitely others.  My cousin and his mate did a continuous round in 1990 (I think - possibly 91), taking mountain bikes to every summit too.

Dave Hewitt 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Scomuir:

I stupidly forgot to include Spyke in that update to the 2006 list:

Stephen Pyke, start BMM 25/4/10, end Ben Hope 3/6/10

So that makes 36, Scomuir's two ups it to 38 and again there'll have been more - eg the no-rush four-month model pioneered by Hamish Brown will have been done by a few people who have stayed completely out of the publicity/charity limelight.

Here's Spyke's day-by-day Munro breakdown from 2000, for comparison with Donnie C's effort:

http://chris-upson.com/Munros/SpykeMunroSchedule.pdf

Post edited at 16:14
Gone for good 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> Looks like he's made it to the top at or just after 05:00. A stunning achievement.

Amazing achievement. It makes my legs cry just thinking about the amount of effort that went into breaking that record. 

petestack 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> A continuous Munro Round but getting back to where you started - as per the Ramsay etc - would be interesting, both in terms of how fast it could be done and also where would be the optimum starting point.

Interesting for sure, but perhaps without obvious point when some challenges are naturally linear (point-to-point) and others circular. Since you'd have to go to/from the outliers (e.g. Skye, Mull, northern four) wherever you started, I'm not sure there's any optimum starting point.

Dave Hewitt 02 Sep 2020
In reply to petestack:

> Interesting for sure, but perhaps without obvious point when some challenges are naturally linear (point-to-point) and others circular. Since you'd have to go to/from the outliers (e.g. Skye, Mull, northern four) wherever you started, I'm not sure there's any optimum starting point.

Psychologically it might be a bit easier to start somewhere in the middle, eg Laggan-ish, to give more of a sense of "returning home" after the various main outward legs, but as you say it probably doesn't make much difference. If one's actual home was within the general orbit - as with you - then that would potentially work well: simply step out of your door one morning, keep going and return with a full round in the bag some time later.

The main logistical/effort addition with doing a circuit rather than a linear route would be the extra kayak/swim on the Mull leg.

Jack Frost 02 Sep 2020

Donnie just been briefly interviewed by John Beattie on BBC Radio Scotland...he sounds fresh as a daisy! Best moment: "Cuillin Ridge traverse". 

It'll be on the Sounds app in a wee while. 

EDIT : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000m5h3 starts at 01:55:40

Post edited at 18:21
 Grahame N 04 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Incredible achievement.  TV interview here  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/scotland/54020626

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...