UKC

Novice scrambles, North Yorkshire?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Singinghound 17 May 2021

Good evening, I’d be grateful for some advice. I am busy building up QMDs for my Summer Mountaineering, and although I am not a climber bar the occasional visit to a wall, I am keen to introduce some simple and easy scrambles. I want to improve my balance and effectiveness on steep ground, and more importantly, my confidence. 
Can anyone recommend any advice or routes. I’m based in North Yorkshire (Moors), so happy to travel!
Thank you very much!

CantClimbTom 18 May 2021
In reply to Singinghound:

N Yorks is lovely, has some great boulders and crags and if you can stretch across to the Dales there's amazing underground adventure too, but not quite scrambling and mountaineering country. According to UK scrambles here's the list of scrambles covering N Yorks https://www.ukscrambles.com/england-other/   Links on right hand side of that blank looking page SORRY!! not much beyond

Gordale Scar Waterfall (interesting for a look?), Coddow Slip (Danger, this is climbing shale, you were warned), Great Hangman Gut (tides! and limited belays), Great Red Gully, Selworthy Spur ("...the top of which is dangerous and constantly changing.."), Whitebeam Gully (Tidal and 7 hour day), Strans Gill Scramble in Wharfedale (sounds better)

Can you get a couple of nights stay over in the Lakes?  N Wales,  other?

Edit, for QMDs are you talking about Mountain Leader Summer?  That is very worthwhile and best of luck, but if so... ????  please do NOT describe that to anyone as "Mountaineering" or face ridicule sarcasm and various unsupportive and unhelpful comments, far better phrase yourself more carefully there!  Also beware their FAQ guidance on what does/doesn't count as a QMD with respect specifically to Dartmoor and N Yorks

Post edited at 09:36
 SouthernSteve 18 May 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

If you are willing to do some easy climbing and can persuade a climbing friend, a day at Brimham that would be good for getting some moves sorted - pick a weekday as it can be very busy. However grit and the local limestone are not that great at simulating the mountain experience and a trip over to the lakes or North Wales would probably be most appropriate. Having a day out on Tryfan or similar would fit with your purposes and be on typical rhyolite!. 

I would strongly recommend a course at one of the national mountain centres if affordable, although others may disagree. 

OP Singinghound 18 May 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Morning, thanks for some excellent pointers. This is a great, and much appreciated.

Also for the etiquette advice. I am indeed just an ignorant soldier. You've saved me!

Post edited at 10:53
OP Singinghound 18 May 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Thank you, good advice. Yes I have been looking at a basic rock climbing course!

CantClimbTom 18 May 2021

Bat signal in sky to summon   Jez B

Jez, please advise Singinhound

Mr/Ms Hound, if you can stretch to a paying course (and not all of us can at times in life so just shut this discussion down if you can't now), consider asking Jez if he has availability, he knows his stuff and his stuff is exactly this stuff.

Post edited at 11:29
 Lankyman 18 May 2021

There's more to the Dales than many folk assume. A lot of the little gills that fall down the side of somewhere like Wensleydale or Swaledale cross several bands of limestone and there will usually be a ravine or waterfalls (often dry as the stream sinks). Part of the fun is just setting out the map and then going to explore.

SouthernSteve 18 May 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes, there is nothing quite like wet limestone. 

Lankyman 18 May 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> Yes, there is nothing quite like wet limestone. 

Yes, and the limestone usually encountered in a typical Dales gill is nothing like that encountered on a wet climb (if it's wet at all). As in an active cave, water-washed limestone is much grippier as it has no moss or algae on it. You can soon work out what to trust even where there is a bit of growth just as in a Lakes gill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...