UKC

Ogwen car parks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 21 Sep 2020

Morning

Can anyone tel me how busy the Ogwen and A5 car parks are please East of Tryfan?

Might pop down later if it’s not too busy.

Ta

Dave

tehmarks 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Can't comment on today, but yesterday every car park and layby in Ogwen was rammed along with the usual prolific illegal parking by 09:30 - but we parked at the Gwern Gof Uchaf campsite for the princely sum of £2, and there was plenty of space.

1philjones1 21 Sep 2020

Just got back. It’s manic. We arrived at 8am and parked in the lay-by on the right just before Ogwen Cottage as you come up from Bethesda. We were the first there. Got back to find the car had been ticketed despite being fully in the lay-by. Double yellows are along the carriageway but not the inside of the lay-by so we thought it was ok. No cones across the lay-by. It obviously isn’t!

All car parks and every space taken to beyond Tryfan Bach at about 12.

Neil Williams 21 Sep 2020
In reply to 1philjones1:

Double yellows, where present, apply to the "building line", even private land (so the "rock line" in the case of the layby in question, if I'm Google Street View-ing the right one).  I've heard of a few businesses in London being caught out by that - if you want to park on your own property the road side of the building line, you have to wall it off and get a dropped kerb installed.

It is a bit entrapment-like not to put signs up saying that it is for loading only, though.

Red Rover 21 Sep 2020

Strange that it seems rammed, I was there the weekend after the august bank holiday and it seemed pretty normal. Maybe after the post-lockdown surge we have a pre-second-lockdown surge?

1philjones1 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

Thanks, I’ve done a bit of googling myself and you’re right, although there is a regulation that says the double yellows should be put on the inside of the lay-by to avoid confusion. We’ve been parking in that lay-by for many years with no issues and I guess the double yellows are new. 
We’ve taken photos and I think there is a strong case that we could argue but it’s probably not worth the effort. 
If they’re trying to solve the parking problem, it seems counterintuitive to take out of commission 5/6 perfectly good and safe parking spots.

Post edited at 15:53
In reply to 1philjones1:

It's possible there was a mistake in not breaking the lines at the laybys - maybe you could get a copy of the TRO and see what that says?

Yes, the double yellows are new, they aren't on Google Street View.

Post edited at 16:11
OP Dave the Rave 21 Sep 2020
In reply to 1philjones1:

Sorry to hear that you got ticketed.

Glad I didn’t go. My spidey sense was tingling.

FactorXXX 21 Sep 2020

> Double yellows, where present, apply to the "building line", even private land (so the "rock line" in the case of the layby in question, if I'm Google Street View-ing the right one). 

I'm intrigued by the person that looks like he's from a Western: Cowboy hat, long coat and appearing to be reaching for a holstered pistol.

In reply to FactorXXX:

I think some people seek out the Google cars and try to get on them!

OP Dave the Rave 21 Sep 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

It’s Lee Van Cliff

Lyndleme 22 Sep 2020

Busy usually every monday, It is the start of the week, y'know. 

roddyp 30 Sep 2020

In view of the imminent Conwy restrictions, what's the situation re Ogwen Cottage car park? Is that Conwy or Gwynedd?

J1234 30 Sep 2020
In reply to roddyp:

Tan y Celyn, Nant Ffrancon, Bethesda, Gwynedd, LL57 3LX

Neil Williams 30 Sep 2020
In reply to roddyp:

The one by the YHA seems to be in Gwynedd but *only just*.  The boundary comes down to where the road bridge over the stream is, then goes round the lakeshore (so the actual lake is all Gwynedd) then up along the east side of Llyn Idwal - so you can walk on one side of it but not the other!

Elfyn Jones 30 Sep 2020
In reply to J1234:

Thats actually a private house now. It used to be the NT office, but it got closed a few years ago and they moved the office to Ogwen Cottage, so I dont think the householder will be too impressed with a few hundred cars parking in their driveway! 

In reply to Elfyn Jones:

FWIW it would appear from the OS map that Ogwen Cottage is in Conwy but the car park and YHA in Gwynedd, I said it was close!

You could go up Y Garn, I suppose.

Its pretty farcical, isn't it? I live right on the border of Gwynedd and Powys, so if they extend the new restrictions to the rest of Wales (surely just a matter of time?) it'll be legal for me to drive 2 hours to walk in the Brecon Beacons but illegal to drive 5 minutes to walk up Cader Idris.

J1234 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Hi Elfyn,

thanks, I cut and pasted from the national trust website https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/carneddau-and-glyderau#How%20to%20get%20he...

If you have any contacts there, possibly worth letting them know.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for all the work you do, your the part of the BMC well worth the money.

In reply to pancakeandchips:

Indeed.  The idea of restricting travel in and out of a local lockdown makes sense where it's a one-off area, but where it's most of Wales it's downright silly.

roddyp 30 Sep 2020

Yup, I'd agree. A useful reminder that the "county" shown in addresses is that of the postal town, rather than the building itself.

GrahamD 30 Sep 2020
In reply to pancakeandchips:

It might be legal, but its certainly against the guidelines on unnecessary travel.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...