UKC

OS maps app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 02 Jun 2020

I’m looking at the premium subscription model for OS Maps, the website suggests 2.99 per month, the app suggests 4.99 per month, are they the same thing?

also, can I enable family sharing on IOS so my wife can also use the subscription?

Babika 02 Jun 2020
In reply to ablackett:

My partner pays £2.99 a month and I can't access it as well. 

Though I do look over his shoulder......

Babika 02 Jun 2020
In reply to ablackett:

My partner pays £2.99 a month and I can't access it as well. 

Though I do look over his shoulder......

Martin Wing 02 Jun 2020

Me and my wife use the same login and it works fine on several devices.

I pay £25.99 a year.

Edit, I subscribe through iOS but can still login on the website.

Post edited at 07:48
 DaveHK 02 Jun 2020
In reply to ablackett:

A buggy PITA in my experience so far.

Martin Wing 02 Jun 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Really? I use it almost everyday and never have any trouble, what bugs have you found?

DaveHK 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Martin Wing:

Keeps crashing when trying to access or update off line maps and at various other times.

Post edited at 08:04
OP ablackett 02 Jun 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Are you IoS or Android?

DaveHK 02 Jun 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Android and an older phone so don't know if that's an issue. I've used the report fault facility but haven't tried contacting them yet.

Fredt 02 Jun 2020
In reply to ablackett:

I've used the app on an iPhone for several years, (£25.99 p.a.), very pleased, never had a problem, only gripe is when downloading maps to the device, it isn't clear what area has downloaded.

mbh 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Fredt:

I have also used it for years, now at £23.99 a year for a rolling annual subscription, I think. Really useful, but when out I often get the message that using data can cost money, even though I have downloaded a map of the area I am looking at.

DaveHK 02 Jun 2020
In reply to mbh:

> I have also used it for years, now at £23.99 a year for a rolling annual subscription, I think. Really useful, but when out I often get the message that using data can cost money, even though I have downloaded a map of the area I am looking at.

I think it might default to accessing maps live on the web rather than using the pre-downloaded ones.

Post edited at 09:57
 mbh 02 Jun 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> I think it might default to downloading maps live from the web rather than using the pre-downloaded ones.

This is on iPhone, where you open a 'custom offline map' from a list of those you have already downloaded, beneath each of which it says 'Map downloaded'. I still get that message.

deepsoup 02 Jun 2020
In reply to ablackett:

They are the same thing, you use the same login on the app as on the website.  The price of subscription varies depending on whether you're paying monthly or annually, buying a month/year as a one off or setting up a recurring subscription.

The app works well for me, but I've seen that it can be a bit of a buggy nightmare for some so I guess I've been lucky there.  What is weird is that the app seems to show a slightly older version of the map than the website.  The difference is minimal, but it just so happens that there are a couple of paths that have only recently made it on to the map around here, which are now visible on the website version of the map but don't appear on the app.  Weird.  I've tried asking them why this is by email but got no response.  (Generally they're quite responsive to emails, but they've just ignored that question.)

The website can be a bit buggy too sometimes.  Currently it's refusing to let me stay logged in so I have to log in every time, which is not the end of the world but quite annoying.

I've stuck with the subscription because the website allows you to print your own map on A4 or A3 paper to scale, which is incredibly useful.  If I know where I'm going to be in advance it means I can print a paper map to take with me.  (And I've built up a big collection of laminated A3 paper maps of bits of the coast for sea kayaking - they're *so* much more convenient than having to put a paper OS map in a map case.)

Depending on what you want to use the app for, you might find Viewranger a better bet.  The app is free, but it costs about the same as the OS app to subscribe and make the OS maps available on there.  I find Viewranger much better than OS themselves for planning and tracking routes, unlike the OS's own app the maps on the Viewranger app are bang up to date, and the app seems to be more reliable.  I would have a subscription there instead of with the OS if it was possible to use Viewranger to print a nice map on paper, but apparently not.

If you just want to get a look at the 50k and 25k OS maps, you can do that for free via bing here:
https://www.bing.com/maps

The Open Street Map can be handy too.  In my current favourite bit of countryside (close to home and more beautiful than I'd ever realised, a bit of a 'lockdown' revelation), the OpenStreetMap is more accurate and more useful than OS.  It shows a lot of well trodden paths that don't appear on the OS map, and omits some public footpaths that do appear but don't actually exist on the ground.  (Somewhat suspiciously, around one farm in particular.)

https://www.openstreetmap.org

I find the OpenCycleMap layer a bit clearer than the standard OSM map.  If you have a data signal, you can look at the online map via a browser on a smartphone, give it permission to know your location and have a 'you are here' dot on the map.

In reply to deepsoup:

Oddly, I don't seem to be able to get to Bing maps; your link goes to bing.com, and, if you search for hung maps, it takes you back to the going.com search page... If your search for a location, it doesn't offer a link to maps.

I used to use bing maps OS mapping quite a bit, but it seems like they've 'improved' their system so you can't get to it any more... Do you have to sign in now, or something?

I find OpenTopoMaps the most appropriate of the OSM series, for outdoor use.

Andy Johnson 02 Jun 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

I mostly agree. The main irritants for me related to offline maps.

Iven if I have a map downloaded to my phone (Android) for offline use, I have have to manually select it from a list that appears to be in random order (its certainly not sorted on name or sheet number). Why the app can't automatically fall-back to locating me on an offline map if there is no/poor network data is hard to understand. And why can't I scroll from one offline map to the other? Because who actually knows the number of the map north or south of the one you're currently on? I suspect the designers/developers don't really use it mountain areas away from network coverage.

And the web app is slow as cold treacle. Really bad. I only consent to use it because its less bad than Memory Map.

MG 02 Jun 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

I think it only works on larger devices such as an Ipad.  I get the same on my phone.

OP ablackett 02 Jun 2020
In reply to MG:

Thanks all, what I want to do currently is layer a GPX route into the 1:25000 map, I don’t seem to be able to find a way to do this in Bing. Any ideas of a work around?

deepsoup 02 Jun 2020

Ah, looking at MG's post, I just tried on my phone and got the same.  Ticking the "request desktop site" did the trick - not very nice but just about usable.  (I have a small phone and fat thumbs!)

No need to sign in.  I usually look at Bing and Google maps in a 'private' browser window anyway to start with a clean slate instead of carrying cookies etc., over from whatever I was looking at before.

> I find OpenTopoMaps the most appropriate of the OSM series, for outdoor use.

Is that opentopomap.org?  I just had a look and I'm not sure I like it, but the contours are good.  Is that part of the OSM series, or something else?

I also just discovered another couple of OSM layers I'd not seen before, the "landscape" and "outdoors" tabs on opencyclemap.org - they seem good.  Not as substitutes for the OS map, obviously, but useful additional info for planning walks/runs etc.  The "outdoors" tab has 'named' paths marked on (eg: the Pennine Way but also shorter local ones like the Round Sheffield Walk), which don't seem to appear on any of the other OSM variants.

tonyg9241 02 Jun 2020
In reply to ablackett:

hi you can buy a subscription plan for os maps from blacks for £18, normal cost £30 for the year lees if you are member of some  organisations eg BMC, Defence Discount scheme, National Trust, Mountain training, then you get further % off bring the cost down even more , getting you online maps and mobile apps to use as well printing maps in A4 A3 import and export gpx files 

hope this helps

tony

In reply to deepsoup:

> Is that opentopomap.org?  I just had a look and I'm not sure I like it, but the contours are good.  Is that part of the OSM series, or something else?

Yes: check the attributions: both OpenStreetMap and OpenTopoMap attributions should be present.

I use OruxMaps on my Android devices, and it offers a selection of open mapping options. It's also a more fully fledged mapping app than the OS one, which is a bit crude by comparison.

deepsoup 02 Jun 2020

That sounds interesting.  Does it allow you to download OSM maps to use offline?

I have the (long discontinued) OCM app on my Android phone.  It's small, simple and rather brilliant, but strictly online only - nothing gets cached.  Google Play has been trying to update it out of existence for ages, so I have to be careful never to press the "update all" button.

deepsoup 02 Jun 2020
In reply to ablackett:

> Thanks all, what I want to do currently is layer a GPX route into the 1:25000 map, I don’t seem to be able to find a way to do this in Bing. Any ideas of a work around?

As a one-off?  The OS subscription service has a (fully functional) 7-day trial for free.

In reply to deepsoup:

> Does it allow you to download OSM maps to use offline?

Yes. I did just that when we did the TdMB a couple of years ago.

It used to be able to access the Bing OS mapping and download that, until the OS set the vampires on to them...

As for worrying about old apps, install an APK extractor, and save the APK, so you can reinstall it if it get accidentally overwritten.

Post edited at 16:43
In reply to ablackett:

I use viewranger, you just pay for the tiles you want. I've found it excellent and extremely cheap.

deepsoup 03 Jun 2020

Cool.  I'll perhaps give that app a go then, thanks.

Ditto the APK extractor - that sounds like great advice and I'd never heard of such a thing.  There seems to be a bewildering array of them, are they all pretty much the same?  Is there any one in particular that you'd recommend?

Scott K 03 Jun 2020
In reply to ablackett:

I swapped from OS to memory maps due to the bugs with offline maps. I reported the issue and it was suggested that i reload the app. Not much use when there is no internet / signal.

If I had android, I would probably use Locus map.

monkeychoss 29 Jun 2020

I used the OS online maps on Saturday for romp up Skiddaw, I was very impressed. I never considered printing off and laminating a hard copy also so thanks for the heads up. 

lb1dej 01 Jul 2020
In reply to ablackett:

I've just renewed my sub for £19.99. I plot routes on my laptop and then access the route on my mobile. Great value for money IMH. I usually have a paper map with me and may use the OS data to check my position. There have been occasional hiccups like having to login while I'm outside.

Dave

Baz P 05 Jul 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Slightly off topic, I have been using MemoryMap successfully for many years on PC and mobile. I have the full U.K. 25k maps dated 2016 but they want £120 to update to the 2020 map. Are there enough extras/addons to make this worthwhile?  In particular I would be looking for more permissive bridleways. 

deepsoup 05 Jul 2020
In reply to Baz P:

> Are there enough extras/addons to make this worthwhile?  In particular I would be looking for more permissive bridleways. 

I would say that's a no, imo.  For planning routes you would probably be better off using your existing OS maps in conjunction with the Open Cycle Map:  http://opencyclemap.org/

Baz P 05 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks for the reply. The only problems with the OpenCycleMap are that you need an internet connection if wanting to look on route and also there is no provenance to the shown routes. Some are actually on private land.

It’s really annoying that you need to look at several different maps to find routes. In National parks it’s not too bad but elsewhere to find say off road bike routes I have to combine OS maps, OSM, Sustrans and for the latest rights of way information, the local council maps. 
My local council is quite good at upgrading to bridleways or permissive bridleways and cycle routes but these are then not incorporated in any other maps. Thus local information is king.

Loads of times have I plotted routes on MM only to find extra bridleways and cycle routes on the ground that were not on the OS map. Hence my question re the 2020 maps. MemoryMap don’t do upgrades, you have to pay the full price again for the maps, which is £120. You have these for life but life seems to be about 4 years before the OS upgrade. 
We really need a joined up mapping organisation. 

ChrisJD 05 Jul 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Back in 2016, I just sucked up buying the whole of UK @ 1:25,000 via Memory Map and store the whole of UK @1:25K (~25 GB) on my Phone SD card.  All the hassle gone.

The Memory Map licence allows it to be used on a number of portable phone/tablets (so wife also has all UK on her phone) and on 2xPCs as well. Use it most days on PC. 

Also store most of the OSM mapping (with contours) for France, Spain & N Italy on the phone as well (one off payment for unlimited downloads, NOT subscription).  Also have the whole of France IGN 1:25K maps (purchased, one off) as well on the Phone & PC.   .. Its a 200GB micro-SD on the phone, so no shortage of space

The OSM maps are invaluable for Europe, they are ace.

Post edited at 12:58
 deepsoup 05 Jul 2020
In reply to Baz P:

> Thanks for the reply. The only problems with the OpenCycleMap are that you need an internet connection if wanting to look on route and also there is no provenance to the shown routes. Some are actually on private land.

As you say, local knowledge is the key.  I don't think there will ever be a single map that includes all that, there certainly isn't anything that covers a lot of the permissive paths and cheeky cut-throughs that I know personally.  (I only recently found out that a path I've been using a fair bit during 'lockdown' and had assumed was not legit is actually a permissive path and has been for about 30 years.)

By and large I think we're pretty spoilt in (most of) the UK for easy online access to quality maps.  I spent some time last year trying to plan various mini-adventures in Ireland and ended up paying through the nose for 50k (only) OS maps via Viewranger, which cost me well over a hundred quid and didn't include Norn Iron.

As far as the offline access goes though, have you tried the Viewranger app?  You can subscribe to have the latest 50k and 25k OS maps on there for about £25 a year or so, but there are various other layers available for free including the OCM.  Pretty sure that will let you save maps for offline use and follow a route.

Baz P 05 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

I fully agree with you that we are spoilt for with the quality of our maps.
I do subscribe to ViewRanger premium and also Wikiloc both of which are useful for finding other people’s routes. Wikiloc especially as you can search for dozens of sports. For example I have found the locations of via Feratta, caves and bike routes in several foreign lands. I have purchased a few individual tiles in ViewRanger for Spain and France, just for the areas that I frequent.

When thinking of upgrading my U.K. OS25K 2016 maps at a cost of £120 I did consider the ViewRanger option which which would have a break even point of about four years which is the time I have already had the MM ones, but these are for life. Also, I do like  the facilities available in MM re making routes and tracks and sending them to another four devices. So, I will probably shell out at some point for the latest maps but they really should offer some sort of a discount for just upgrading.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...