UKC

OS red pointer gone on Ap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gimmergimmer 13 Apr 2022

OS red triangle pointer disappeared. I had to rejig/reboot my OS map Ap as it stopped working. Pleased it's working. But the useful red triangle/arrow pointer that shows you where you are has disappeared. Anyone got any advice. Thanks.

ebdon 13 Apr 2022
In reply to gimmergimmer:

Not that it helps you, but its showing on my ap (android)

Andypeak 13 Apr 2022

Working fine for me. Whenever I've had issues with the app I've found that deleting and re installing the app works. It's the app equivalent of turning in off and in again

OP gimmergimmer 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Andypeak:

Well I deleted it once and it refused to install again. After a complete hassle it eventually reinstalled. Bit reluctant to lose it again.

Martin W 14 Apr 2022

Are you using Android or iPhone?  If the former then it may be worth checking that the phone hasn't somehow forgotten that the app has permission to access the phone's location.  That's under "Permissions" in "Settings" -> "Apps and notifications".  If that's not the problem then you may be able to 'reset' the app by going in to "Settings" -> "Apps and notifications", finding the app in the list and force stopping it (Android usually says something like "if you force stop the app it may misbehave", which I find mildly amusing when the reason I'm force stopping an app is usually because it already is misbehaving).  If that doesn't help then clearing the app's cache or storage* (which includes the cache) might do it -  this basically has the same effect as re-installing the app from the Play store, so you will likely need to re-enter your credentials the first time you use it after that.  If neither of the above courses of action work then you probably will have to uninstall and re-install the app.  If you can find a copy of the version of the app that you are using on one of the online APK repositories such as APKPure then you can download and save a copy of the .apk file on the phone and re-install the app from there, rather than having to go to the Play store each time (you will need to enable installing apps from unknown sources to do this - how to do this varies by Android version, best Google it).

If you're using an iPhone then I'm afraid I'm unable to advise.

* In the case of the OS Maps app I think that clearing the app's storage may also delete any offline maps you have downloaded to the phone, in which case you'll have to download them again.

99ster 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin W:

> Are you using Android or iPhone?  If the former then it may be worth checking that the phone hasn't somehow forgotten that the app has permission to access the phone's location.  That's under "Permissions" in "Settings" -> "Apps and notifications".  If that's not the problem then you may be able to 'reset' the app by going in to "Settings" -> "Apps and notifications", finding the app in the list and force stopping it (Android usually says something like "if you force stop the app it may misbehave", which I find mildly amusing when the reason I'm force stopping an app is usually because it already is misbehaving).  If that doesn't help then clearing the app's cache or storage* (which includes the cache) might do it -  this basically has the same effect as re-installing the app from the Play store, so you will likely need to re-enter your credentials the first time you use it after that.  If neither of the above courses of action work then you probably will have to uninstall and re-install the app.  If you can find a copy of the version of the app that you are using on one of the online APK repositories such as APKPure then you can download and save a copy of the .apk file on the phone and re-install the app from there, rather than having to go to the Play store each time (you will need to enable installing apps from unknown sources to do this - how to do this varies by Android version, best Google it).

> If you're using an iPhone then I'm afraid I'm unable to advise.

> * In the case of the OS Maps app I think that clearing the app's storage may also delete any offline maps you have downloaded to the phone, in which case you'll have to download them again.

I bet it's this.  Just tested on iOS and if you turn 'location access' off for OS Maps app the red location icon (unsurprisingly) disappears.

OP gimmergimmer 14 Apr 2022
In reply to 99ster:

That's great. I went into settings and pressed the App, and 'permissions' and then 'location' -'allowed' and it's come back. (On Android). Brilliant. Thanks so much. Less chance of getting lost now(-though in case anyone asks I always take a paper map as well on the hill.) 

Post edited at 11:49
 John 14 Apr 2022

On Android the app store app has updated with a feature that removes app permissions if the app is not used for a month or so. 

After a quick google i could not find how to disable this new feature. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...