UKC

Pen-Y-Pas overnight parking question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tala1984 15 Apr 2022

hi all

newbie account but long term lurker when i have questions

I'm looking at doing snowdon with the dogs as our first of the big 3 peak (lots of large of smaller peaks with dogs and foreign hikes myself so im not a novice by any stretch) and was wondering why pen-Y-pass allows 24hr parking if you cant overnight in it?

3hours each way drive for me, and little dog legs means we usually take the max amount of time to do the walks people give plus an extra few hours for frequent stops means i was planning to make a few days of it at the different hills and sleep in my car 

i dont mind paying the £40 to be in a carpark overnight rather than a layby but im lost at why I can choose to park there for 24hrs if i cant sleep in it 😂

has anyone done this? would a car be the exception or is it strict no overnight parking (and if so why is the option there) 

Jenny C 15 Apr 2022
In reply to tala1984:

Probably to stop it from becoming an unofficial campsite.

OP tala1984 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

Oh i can completely understand why, i just dont get why the option for 24hr parking is there 😂

In reply to tala1984:

So you can be out late/overnight/multi-day.

ianstevens 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

And/or stay in the youth hostel

Marek 15 Apr 2022

> So you can be out late/overnight/multi-day.

Ooh, is that actually what the signs say? I've see plenty of "No overnight parking" signs (frustrating when you want to do a multiday outing), but I've always assumed that means you can't leave the car (empty) overnight either. The other frustrating aspect I keep coming across is being able to pay for 24h, but no more. In effect you can stay overnight but you can't do day-night-day.

In reply to Marek:

Dunno, sorry. I don't know the specifics (never park there) but just answering the in principle question. can't see why else they'd offer a 24h option, other than for yha residents.

The pyp booking website says no overnight camping, not no overnight parking.

Post edited at 10:48
OP tala1984 15 Apr 2022

so, theoritically speaking, by not having a van/trailer etc  (its literally a normal car, its not even some suped up land rover) or pitching a tent i could stay in a car overnight 

i'm just lost at being able to park for 24hr without being qble to stay in it (Like Marek I took it to mean no empty cars overnight as well, which defeats the purpouse of parking for 24hr)

In reply to tala1984:

> so, theoritically speaking, by not having a van/trailer etc  (its literally a normal car, its not even some suped up land rover) or pitching a tent i could stay in a car overnight 

No. It's a car park. What you're looking for is a campsite. Which, incidentally, would be a lot cheaper than the £40 pyp will cost you.

OP tala1984 15 Apr 2022

not when I'll have to pay 12 hours parking minimum any way 😂 (youngest dog wont sit on bus to do park and ride - unless hes busy he wants to talk to everyone 🙈)

In reply to tala1984:

12 hours is £25. The £15 you have left will get you a pitch in Nant Peris and might even stretch to a pint in the Vaynol.

BuzyG 16 Apr 2022
In reply to tala1984:

> Oh i can completely understand why, i just dont get why the option for 24hr parking is there 😂

So you can park there and stay in the YH over the road. Though by some minor miracle I have always found a spot outside the YH for over night, when I stay there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...