UKC

Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) confirmed legal for use on Land

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gerald Davison 29 Dec 2011
OFCOM has confirmed that the recent consultation on a number of categories of radio frequency transmitting equipment has been concluded with confirmation that Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) will be permitted for use on land in the UK from 31/12/2011 (i.e. tomorrow).

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2011/12/29/official-new-year-go-ahead-for-...
 winhill 29 Dec 2011
In reply to Gerald Davison:

Good news for horse riders everywhere.
In reply to winhill:

Heh heh, you made me chuckle with that one....
 CENSORED 29 Dec 2011
In reply to Gerald Davison: I use this model for sea kayaking and have taken it into the hills with me in the last 18 months or so since I acquired it.

http://www.summittosea.co.uk/product/mcmurdo-fast-find-plb

On the sea I regard it as insurance, in the hills it's been a back-up.
Ooops, turns out I can't read the 34 page Ofcom amendment document right... there are three amendments to be made and the third and final one doesn't come in until 12th January 2012, so we all have to wait another couple of weeks......
 Dee 30 Dec 2011
In reply to Gerald Davison: Thanks Gerald. I'd recommend buying one with in-built GPS because they allow faster location and rescue by providing a very accurate position than non-GPS beacons. Non-GPS beacons rely on orbiting satellites to identify a position which can take more time.

It's worth pointing out that each country has an individual 406 code, so make sure that your beacon is coded for the country which you intend to use it in, because when it is activated the satellite may notify the wrong rescue coordination centre.

Their real benefit occurs in terrain where the mobile signal is non-existent or very poor.
 drunken monkey 30 Dec 2011
In reply to Gerald Davison: We had a callout on xmas night to a guy who had activated his beacon.
 liz j 30 Dec 2011
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to Gerald Davison)
>
> Good news for horse riders everywhere.

Why are some people so 'anti' when it comes to other people's pastimes?
 Ridge 30 Dec 2011
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to JIB)
>
> ummm GPS uses satellites too..

I did wonder after that post..
 Niall 30 Dec 2011
In reply to liz j:
> (In reply to winhill)
> [...]
>
> Why are some people so 'anti' when it comes to other people's pastimes?

You obviously don't remember THAT thread...
 Ridge 30 Dec 2011
In reply to Niall:
> (In reply to liz j)
> [...]
>
> You obviously don't remember THAT thread...

I remember it well
cp123 30 Dec 2011
In reply to Anonymous:

uummm yes but there are enough GPS satellites to ensure there is at least three in line of site at all times, the satellites that pick up the distress radio signal are not ubiquitous in their coverage.
 liz j 30 Dec 2011
In reply to Niall:
> (In reply to liz j)
> [...]
>
> You obviously don't remember THAT thread...

No, I don't!!
 Martin W 31 Dec 2011
In reply to liz j: THAT thread was this thread: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=272218 - 469 posts and ran from 22/11/07 to 16/03/08!
Outdoorsman 15 Jan 2012
In reply to winhill and a couple of others:

Having taken part in that long-ago string, I'll highlight a few (spurious) points made by the then detractors:

1. The much discussed point about how much the new Registration Database was going to cost has been proved to be mistaken - PLBs have simply been included in the already established EPIRB Registration Database at MRCC Falmouth
2. It was intimated that false alerts would be rife – well, we'll see, and there will likely be a few (that can mostly be filtered out at the UKMCC stage), but this has certainly not been the experience of other countries (we're talking PLBs on land here, not ELTs or EPIRBs, folks), and it’s worth noting that the several thousands of SPOT Messengers in the UK have produced only two semi-false alerts in the past 5 years that required no SAR responses, and that their 911/SOS responses have been genuine, time-saving, pain-reducing and in one case at least, arguably life-saving. Because the SAR agencies knew where the casualties were, it eliminated the need to search, thereby saving voluntary SAR and helicopter time - and the taxpayers' money that some previous respondents were seemingly so concerned about.
It's maybe worth considering that, of the hundreds of thousands of folk who go walking and climbing every weekend, there are very few SAR incidents as a result. The Exchequer is coining it in - from the tax on the fuel, accommodation, food equipment and clothing that is spent by those outdoors folks. The money spent on those few unfortunates who come to grief is but a drop in the ocean. The health and psychological benefits to the country are immeasurable.
3. There wasn't apparently an outcry on this site about SPOT Messenger or mobile phones: one wonders why all the vitriol came about just because a lady fell from a horse, genuinely perceived a need and tried to do something positive about it. By the way, SAR folks in the UK had by then already started the process of getting PLBs legalised for land in the UK, with the purpose in mind to put land users on an equal footing with their maritime and aviation counterparts - professional and recreational.
4. Have a look at what such as New Zealand’s SAR agencies, which have several years' experience with land PLBs, have to say - all positive.
5. PLBs were never claimed to be the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything; the effort was just to make the option available to those who wanted to carry them and to make us compatible with the majority of the rest of the land area in the world.
6. Another point made was that some hill users would be forced or obliged to carry PLBs against their wishes because of insurance or Health and Safety concerns. That hasn't happened with SPOT Messenger or similar devices, so it is unlikely to come about with PLBs - I certainly hope not. It's worth mentioning that there aren't many people who don't carry mobile phones on the hill now. Remember the similar racket there was about them, and they're now positively viewed by Police and MRTs, and obviously all those who carry them on the hill – no, I know they’re a pain-in-the-neck!
For those who are going on long and hazardous routes by themselves, consider instead the merits of having a SPOT Messenger on 'tracking' mode. That way, if you fall and become unconscious (or worse), or even destroy the device, there is still the tracking snail-trail to lead to within ten minutes of the last position burst. Just be sure your nominated Points of Contact have been told how to track you on the Internet. Activated PLBs have ultimately more chance of getting through, but they are manually operated. In a group, a PLB would arguably be the better option; it has a 5-watt data-burst, does not rely solely on GPS to provide the position, and has a homing transmitter/transmission for SAR helicopters to source the beacon

The lady who fell of the horse and 'we' have successfully managed to get the PLB legal for use for those who want it and, in response to the few who continue to field negative remarks just for the sake of it, or to belittle the horsewoman, I'll just say - "Whatever!"

Thanks very much to those who supported the process and to those who produced constructive points - for and against.
 Jim Fraser 16 Jan 2012

I remember ringing the Home Office (was it the Radio Agency then or was that later) about PLB in about 1991 when I was paying the bills by writing manuals for the marine industry. This was pre-mobile-phone in most rural parts of the UK, so the need was actually far greater than it is now. PLBs had been used legally in the UK around that time, but only in a small number of special instances that I believe may have been by utility companies.

The Home Office seemed to be quite against PLBs back then. I'm reading between the lines here but it seemed to be on the basis that the general public couldn't be trusted with such things. I have a vision of a bunch of pencil-pushers in a lush Whitehall meeting room agreeing that the 10 mile jog to the nearest phone box was useful for weeding out those troublesome false alarms.

They were not worried about illegal PLBs at the time and thought it was never going to be a problem because they surely must cost a fortune. The Home Office guy was horrified when I told him that I could get one mail-order from Norway for £135.

2012. Ah, yes, the present. Well, PLB are a great idea. 'Somebody', above, has already pointed out several key aspects of PLB use. I shall mention, and possibly repeat, a few points.

PLB

- GPS: makes a major difference to the time taken to establish a usable position fix. This probably makes more difference for mountaineers than for marine users.

- SELF-TEST: make sure you understand the procedure for this thoroughly so that you do not generate a false alarm while testing. Don't do testing too often and certainly not more than the maker's recommendation.

- ACTIVATION: Make sure you understand the difference between TESTING and ACTIVATING the beacon.

SPOT

- SOLO WALKERS: this is where SPOT can score over PLB (as stated by Outdoorsman above). There is a method for inaction (assumed incapacity) to trigger a form of alert.

- MESSAGING: a new version, called Spot Connect, works with Bluetooth mobile phones to do short text messages. I have not seen one of these yet or had reports of its use.

- LATITUDE AND TERRAIN: it is important to realise that SPOT has some limitations in the UK because the satellites used for SPOT never come north of Birmingham. At sea, or on the Canadian prairie, that's not a problem, but in mountainous terrain it makes the device less reliable. We already know this can occasionally cause problems in the NW Highlands. In less steep terrain, plains, plateaus and at lower lattitudes, I would expect this system to be very reliable. (One might assume that recent satellite launches will improve things for SPOT in most locations but this cannot change the basic geometry of the latitude problem.)

- ANNUAL SERVICE CHARGE: a second limitation is that there is an annual charge for a basic service plan and further annual fees for additional services.
 George Ormerod 16 Jan 2012
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Some thoughts on the SPOT and SPOT connect (not a positive review of the connect).

http://gravsports.blogspot.com/2011/09/quick-notes-on-spot-system.html
 Jim Fraser 16 Jan 2012
In reply to George Ormerod:

A number of differing viewpoints expressed on there. Going through them, I tend to get a sense of people not appreciating the points I make above about latitude and terrain. The guy at McMurdo in Antartica had no problems, but although it's 77 deg south, it's a flat place with 100% sky.
Outdoorsman 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Jim Fraser:

All good gen, guys.
There's a mew Iridium device that should get around the latitude limitations of SPOT Messenger. Will look it up and put it on here in a bit.

All the best on Burns Night.
 Dee 14 Mar 2012
Advice to keep your beacon registration updated after a successful rescue in NZ was triggered in the UK.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6565668/Man-saved-with-help-from-18-000km-a...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...