UKC

Radnor Forest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Podd 13 Aug 2019

Has anyone walked the 2000ft hills since the recent access prohibitions due to the range in Harley Dingle? I'm going to walk these hills soon and don't want to die, but not averse to trespass.

lone 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Matt Podd:

Hi Matt, 

I've attached a link of a photo of the current exclusion zone, gives you an idea of how you can work around the zone keeping West, the fence at the top of the zone that's South of the Great Rhos trig I used this fence and followed it East to an old gate at the far end and yomped over to Great Rhos, the rest of the route to the other hills Black Mixen and Bache Hill was pretty easy going whilst keeping out of the Zone. 

I've never seen anyone up there in an official capacity before. As for safety, probably best to just keep out of the zone. I suppose you could be a rebel and cross the Zone but if you loose a foot in the process that would be a real bummer indeed !

Have a good walk

http://www.herefordshireramblers.org.uk/Great%20Rhos%20M.jpg

L

Medleysdad 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Matt Podd:

I did it last year without any problems.  Coming the other way round and doing Great Rhos last. Wasn't aware I was crossing the exclusion zone as I made my way down the ridge over three riggles.  But you can avoid ii you are nervous by veering off to the right and dropping down the slope until you meet the footpath.  Sort of the reverse of lone's route and very similar to as described by the Nuttalls

Moley 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Matt Podd:

Some years ago when we were dealing with an application for it to be used as a target shooting range, one of the sticking points was that it had previously been used by a company for testing explosives (my basic recollection). So H&S never got cleared as there was potentially unknown unexploded "stuff" lying about in the valley.

I presume that is all long sorted now, but don't step on anything dodgy looking!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...