UKC

Scrambles within 1.5 hours of Glasgow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sabostar 04 May 2022

Could anyone recommend any good destinations for grade 1 and 2 scrambles within a 1.5 hour drive of Glasgow?

Any books or links much appreciated. 

Bulls Crack 04 May 2022
In reply to sabostar:

I've got Dan Baileys Scotland's Mountain Ridges https://www.cicerone.co.uk/scotlands-mountain-ridges whihc looks good but have done few things in it. Also 

Highland Scrambles South https://shop.thebmc.co.uk/product/highland-scrambles-south/

OP sabostar 04 May 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Thanks - those books look perfect!

morpcat 04 May 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Those two books above are probably the best resources, but here are two older ones you might find on the cheap: 

• Arran, Arrochar, and the Southern Highlands
  • Classic Mountain Scrambles in Scotland

I got both either on UKC or in charity bookshops, whereas I paid full price for new versions of the Highland Scrambles South and Scotland's Mountain Ridges. 

In terms of route recommendations, here are some classics I regularly visit:  

• Arroachar / Cobbler: Climb southeast ridge (Mod) , descent the original route (Mod), climb the arete (Diff)
  • Glen Coe / Buachaille Etive Mor: Curved Ridge (Grade-3/Mod) 
  • Glen Coe: Aonach Eagach (Grade-2)

Plenty more obscure things out there if you look around though! Arran is also worth the trip as it has miles of ridges with anything from Grade-1 up to Diff.

OP sabostar 04 May 2022
In reply to morpcat:

Brilliant, thanks morpcat!

peppermill 04 May 2022
In reply to sabostar:

A bit crappy compared to the West Coast/Highlands but an alternative could be drive to the Lakes if the weather is all rubbish up north, probably not much further than Glen Coe but the opposite direction. Just don't bother making the trip for Sharp Edge alone.

Otherwise agree with suggestions for Arran etc. 

OP sabostar 04 May 2022
In reply to peppermill:

Thanks. I live in Dorset so will be taking in the lakes on the way, but really want to get into the Scottish mountains when I visit Glasgow.

peppermill 04 May 2022
In reply to sabostar:

> Thanks. I live in Dorset so will be taking in the lakes on the way, but really want to get into the Scottish mountains when I visit Glasgow.

Oh I see. 

In that case I'd allow a bit more than 1.5hrs to get to Glen Coe, and get up early if travelling from Glasgow, especially as we get towards summer but perfectly doable for daytrips. 

kathrync 04 May 2022
In reply to peppermill:

> In that case I'd allow a bit more than 1.5hrs to get to Glen Coe, and get up early if travelling from Glasgow, especially as we get towards summer but perfectly doable for daytrips. 

Yes, Glencoe is realistically about 2 hrs from where I live in north Glasgow - but very doable as a day trip, and all the scrambling you could want!

kaiser 04 May 2022
In reply to sabostar:

OP posts in hillwalking forum and wants Grade 1 scrambles and gets recommended a Mod descent!

Very UKC

morpcat 04 May 2022
In reply to kaiser:

Pleased to be of service

subtle 04 May 2022
In reply to sabostar:

If you have time (full day) then you can’t get better than Arran.

If pushed for time, and ferries not playing nice then either Cobbler or Buachaile 

If short quick day then Ben A’an is good value

Left field option would be Ben Donich and playing about on there - always quiet and good value

Enjoy your trip, hope the weather is kind

Mark Bull 05 May 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Sticking strictly to the brief, there is not very much! 

There are some good outings which are mostly walks with a few bits of easy scrambling: e.g. N buttress of Stuc a' Chroin, NE ridge of Beinn an Lochain, NE ridge of Beinn Ime, E ridge of Ben Lui. 

Flinticus 05 May 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Arran is great but takes far more time than 1.5hrs and you do have to plan to the ferry timetable. Miss the return and you'll be kicking cans about for a while. 

morpcat 05 May 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

> Miss the return and you'll be kicking cans about for a while. 

I'd be drinking the cans personally

OP sabostar 06 May 2022
In reply to kaiser:

I can work with a Mod

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...