UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Sgurr a' Mhuilinn and Meallan nan Uan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Standing far apart from surrounding larger hills, this pair of Corbetts are the high points of a distinctive multi-peaked massif, a dramatic backdrop to the bleak Strath Bran road. But unless you like bogs and felled forestry, don't try approaching from here; the quietly scenic glen of Strathconon is a much more sensible starting point. It's a bit of a slog to gain height, but up on top there's some enjoyable ridge walking, with views of a huge swathe of the north highlands.

8.08 miles, 13 km, 1,051m ascent, 4 – 6 hours. Dingwall

Read more

kinley2 07 Apr 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Made more sense to me to visit both Sgurr a Ghlas Leathaid and Sgurr a Choire rainich, but definitely worthwhile going to at least one of those peaks, most Corbett Baggers don't bother, despite  them having the best views of the group IMO.

ScraggyGoat 07 Apr 2022
In reply to kinley2:

A set of hills that unless your Inverness area based are low on many peoples consciousness, and you could argue with good reason, slow drive up the Glen, a bit boggy and normally viewed from afar across uninviting terrain.   Would I make a special trip; not sure.  

Fine open views to the N, my partner got the Northern lights from a near summit bivi on one of her winter solo wanderings……jealous; yes.

kinley2 07 Apr 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

We really enjoyed them to be honest. Not returned yet, but then my to do list never slims and I can't think of an attractive, alternative route for these hills.

One of these days perhaps.

Dave Hewitt 07 Apr 2022
In reply to kinley2:

> Made more sense to me to visit both Sgurr a Ghlas Leathaid and Sgurr a Choire rainich, but definitely worthwhile going to at least one of those peaks, most Corbett Baggers don't bother, despite  them having the best views of the group IMO.

Had a very good crampony day on these in early March 1991, with a couple of pals. We went in from the east and had a pretty full round: Creag Ruadh, Meallan nan Uan, Sgurr a' Ghlas Leathaid, Sgurr a' Choire Rainich or however you spell/hyphenate it and Sgurr a' Mhuilinn. Excellent outing, one of those days that stays vivid in the memory decades later.

kinley2 07 Apr 2022
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Aye, we failed to divert out to Creag Ruadh...that is a little itch that I'd still like to scratch.

JimbotheScot 07 Apr 2022

Absolutely tick infested lower down from the car park up to the first ridge ugh!

Post edited at 17:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...