UKC

Short, high reward hike, Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 12 May 2023

Hi, can anyone recommend a walk, maybe 3-4km or less in Snowdonia that gets me to a nice high viewpoint?

I was hoping to take the train up Yr Wyddfa,  but it isn't running to the top. 

Thanks!

Mike Peacock 12 May 2023
In reply to JuneBob:

Do you want easy paths, or is rough ground ok? Clogwyn Mawr above Capel Curig immediately springs to mind, then Crimpiau just beyond it.

If you want closer to Snowdon/Yr Wyddfa then Moel Berfedd and The Horns (as the OS map calls the ridge between the Pyg and Miners' paths) are both nice mini-mountains.

And Clogwyn y Garreg from Rhyd Ddu is a great little hill. Only small but excellent views.

OP JuneBob 12 May 2023
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Great,  thanks.  Easier paths are better, we have a 6yo with us.

I'll have a look at your suggestions.

Tyler 13 May 2023
In reply to JuneBob:

Crimpau from Crafnant the best reward to effort route in the UK! Park at the far end of the lake (through the gate) if there is space although the walk alongside the lake is nice enough. You can also approach from Capel Curig

Bezz 13 May 2023
In reply to JuneBob:

Moel-Y-Gest near Porthmadog might fit the bill with a 6 year old. It's only 263m high but right on the coast so on a clear day has great views inland and out to sea. 

SouthernSteve 13 May 2023
In reply to JuneBob

Idwal cottage to the top of Y Garn (Devils Kitchen up/NE ridge down). Views of the Yr wyddfa, the Carneddau and out to Anglesey. Might be busy at the bottom – watch the parking!

EDIT: Just read the - or less - this might be a little too much although I would have done it at 7-8 years.

Post edited at 08:41
 LucaC 13 May 2023
In reply to JuneBob:

Conwy Mountain/Alt Wen/Foel Lus up on the North Coast. Super paths and a great view of the coast and the mountains (plus easy access to Parisella's Ice Cream afterwards). 

OP JuneBob 13 May 2023
In reply to JuneBob:

Thanks all. I had paid parking at pen-y-pass and finished my hike early enough that we could go back with the family and walk up to the lake llyn llydaw. Very nice it was too.

Also made it to the mini train in betws-y-coed, also fun.

Bezz 13 May 2023
In reply to Bezz:

Interested to know why the down like?

In reply to JuneBob:

Moel Siabod is a gentle hike from various directions, with good views and that special Snowdonia feel. 

ben b 15 May 2023
In reply to Bezz:

Usually it's a 'fat thumbs' issue on mobile devices, I think. Would be an odd one for a downvote. But worrying about these things is not good for our health...!

b

wilkesley 15 May 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

If you start from the Plas y Brenin side it's a decent gradient all the way up. If you start from Capel Curig the final slope is quite a slog from any direction. I remember this as an eight years old back in the 1960s. I have climbed Moel Siabod many times since then and it's one of the best viewpoint from the summit.

LastBoyScout 15 May 2023
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> Idwal cottage to the top of Y Garn (Devils Kitchen up/NE ridge down). Views of the Yr wyddfa, the Carneddau and out to Anglesey. Might be busy at the bottom – watch the parking!

> EDIT: Just read the - or less - this might be a little too much although I would have done it at 7-8 years.

Would have to check exact age with my parents, but pretty sure I did Snowdon via the Ranger trail when I was about that age - I do remember having a sausage sandwich in the cafe at the top.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...