UKC

Snowdonia scrambles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey guys since the borders are open again I want to go back to Wales and go do some more scrambles but I was wondering how many I could do in 1 day so here is my plan. 

So start off at idwal staircase then get to the top of the continuation 

Then next step is walking over to main gully ridge then getting to the top of that then get down somehow .

Then go up tryfan im not sure what routes there is from that side but ye then come down tryfan then go back home .

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on how to make this route better or put more scrambles in 

Or how to save time and what routes up tryfan etc and how long would this take ?

Suncream 16 May 2021
In reply to Cneifion Arête:

How long it will take will vary massively between different people. Just make sure you have easy routes down for when you've had enough (that should be relatively easy round here, e.g. just skip out Tryfan).

The classic linkup is the Blochwyd Horseshoe: up Tryfan North ridge, down the South, up Bristly ridge, down Y Gribin. Though I appreciate you might want harder scrambles.

1philjones1 16 May 2021

If it’s been wet, and it obviously has been, I think Idwal Buttress is a better choice than the Staircase due to the amount of water that is likely to be coming down the Staircase. 
After I usually drop down to Cneiffion arête (if you’re happy soloing a G3), then up Gribin ridge, as far left as possible to maximise the scrambling. Then down climb Bristly ridge, various lines possible, and then up to Tryfan summit and down the North ridge.

How long it will take is very much down to the individual’s level of scrambling ability and fitness, but there are several bail out points on this route if you’re behind time.

LucaC 16 May 2021

You want more scrambles in one go? Ok, here's a link up for you.

Up Y Garn East Ridge. Descend to Cwm Idwal via Devils Kitchen path towards Idwal Slabs. Possible bail out by walking back to car around the lake.

Up Idwal Buttress and Continuation, scramble across and down into Cwm Cneifion. Bail out by descending Seniors Gully to Cwm Idwal.

Up Cneifion Arete or Tower Rib and down Y Gribin until you can drop down to the right towards the cliffs of Glyder Fach. Bail out by walking down Y Gribin to Cwm Idwal and the path to Ogwen Cottage. 

Up Dolmen Ridge or Shark Buttress, across to Bristly Ridge and descend this before scrambling down to the Heather Terrace. Bail out at Bwlch Tryfan and descend to Llyn Bochlwyd and path back to Idwal Cottage. 

Up Nor' Nor' or Bastow Buttress, descend Tryfan North ridge before heading down to Tryfan Bach.

Victory lap of Tryfan Bach Arete. 

Post edited at 21:42
In reply to LucaC:

There's a few problems with that 1 i hate y garn East ridge 2 could I turn idwal buttress into idwal staircase because I've done idwal buttress before 

What scramble do you mean on cwm cnefion 

The other problem is my dad won't do cnefion arete for some reason I'm tryna convince him to but it probably won't work since we only done 1 grade 3 before that was pinacle ridge St Sunday crag and that was with a guide although I felt like that was easy I could of soloed it 

The other problem is he wouldn't do dolmen ridge either so could it be main gully ridge ?

Main gully ridge is shite, dolmen ridge is absolutely brilliant. Although the crux section is definitely more mod (or diff) than a scramble.

SimonCRMC 17 May 2021

You'll get a variety of opinions on here but the start of Cneifion Arete is often graded Mod so depending on how good your scrambling is you might want to rope up. Likewise you wouldn't want to fall on the crux section of Dolmen Arete.

wilkesley 17 May 2021
In reply to SimonCRMC:

As you say the first part of Cenifon Arete is the hardest. If you manage that without a problem the rest is much easier but in a great position. So, if you manage the start you don't need to worry about the rest of it.

LucaC 18 May 2021
In reply to SimonCRMC:

To be honest, you don't want to fall off any sections of any scrambles...

CantClimbTom 18 May 2021

As much as I love Ogwen and Cneifion Arete etc  --> the route I mean (sorry Cneifion Arête, I'm sure UKC loves you too) I have 2 things to say about these as being unimaginative choices

1) Overcrowding

2) Parking-Armageddon

Half of me wants to suggest great days out, classic scrambles, lonely ridges, soaring heights, underground adventures. But the other half of me knows that if I post say: 3 names here I will attract crowds to those 3 as well.

I'm sure you guys are wise enough to know or with only a small amount of Googling work out some other classic days in that general area ish without double yellow parkageddon

SimonCRMC 18 May 2021
In reply to LucaC:

Wise words!

C Witter 18 May 2021

My honest impression is:

• 1/3 of the joy of a big day out is planning the route and the anticipation
  • 1/3 of the joy is doing it
  • 1/3 of the joy is a pint, chips and going back over the day with your friends in a warm dry pub - including a blow by blow account of why you bailed and didn't end up doing everything you'd planned

On top of that: never trust the opinions of some random bloke on the interwebs.

So, really, I'm doing you a favour by telling you to go work it out for yourself - or with your scrambling partner.

Post edited at 10:49
In reply to wilkesley:

I want to do cnefion arete but my trouble is 

I don't have ropes 

I've never soloed a grade 3 , the only time I've done a grade 3 is pinacle ridge and that was with a guide and ropes however I did feel like I could solo it 

The other problem is convincing my dad to climb cnefion arete it was a pain to convince him to do crib Goch although he loved it so convincing him to do cnefion is another thing 

In reply to C Witter:

Yes I get what you are saying my problem is I'm only 14 nearly 15 so I can't drive so when I go out on a scramble I want to make the most of it .

So I try to get as much opinions on a route so it gives me a step in the right direction if you get what I mean 

In reply to pancakeandchips:

Is main gully ridge really not that good I thought it would be a good route since it's a 3 star on Steve Ashton and I think dolmen may be a bit above my abilitys whats North butress on tryfan like?

CantClimbTom 18 May 2021

> Yes I get what you are saying my problem is I'm only 14 nearly 15 so I can't drive so when I go out on a scramble I want to make the most of it .

> So I try to get as much opinions on a route so it gives me a step in the right direction if you get what I mean 

You should have included that detail in your original post, it affects the advice given you're dependant on your dad driving and your need to keep lots of routes in one compact space (+ less knowledge/experience of more outlying areas).

Good for you! I'm always pleased to hear younger people who want to do much more than some decaffeinated DofE country walk. I went youth hosteling with mates (Crib Coch, Tryfan North ridge, Bristly ridge and so forth from Idwall to Moel Hebog and much in between) with friends for a week when 16 but things were different years ago (buses and hitch hike) and not the health and safety phone call to social services it'd cause now.

Accept that you can only do what your dad can follow you on for this trip, so plan it around his ability not your admirably large enthusiasm. For the future, see if you can find a local climbing club that accepts under 18 members. Good luck, enjoy!

Post edited at 14:26
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Accept that you can only do what your dad can follow you on for this trip, so plan it around his ability not your admirably large enthusiasm. For the future, see if you can find a local climbing club that accepts under 18 members. Good luck, enjoy!

This is great advice CA.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...