UKC

Start working as mountain leader

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LuisSFM 01 Dec 2020

Hi everyone! 

I want to start working on the outdoors but I am not sure about how things work and where can I find a job regarding my current situation.

I'm not a ML (yet), and actually, I am obtaining an equivalent training in Spain (I'm Spanish). At the end of it, I will obtain the equivalent to the Interantional Mountain Leader, but with the first course I've done I have something similar to the Summer ML, but with no international recognition.  

I would like to know if it would be possible to be hired by any outdoor company, if they would consider me to any possible job, or which is the best way to start on this world.

Thank you all in advance!

girlymonkey 01 Dec 2020
In reply to LuisSFM:

I would look at companies offering Spanish language guiding walking holidays in the UK. I know there is an Edinburgh based one call explora escosia, and I would guess there might be more. Use your skills to your advantage

climbingpixie 01 Dec 2020
In reply to LuisSFM:

Do you have dual nationality or any other right to work in the UK (e.g. settled status)? If not I suspect you'll struggle to get past our new post Brexit immigration rules, which require minimum skills and income levels and for a company to register as a sponsor.

OP LuisSFM 01 Dec 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thank you, I'll check it

OP LuisSFM 01 Dec 2020
In reply to climbingpixie:

Yeah, I have the right to work now and I applied for the presstlement. Thanks for the advise, anyway

SamR 02 Dec 2020
In reply to LuisSFM:

Sorry can't help you with your question but I'm curious as to the name of the Spanish qualification?

OP LuisSFM 02 Dec 2020
In reply to SamR:

Hi Sam, in Spain, it is called "Tecnico Deportivo (TD) de Montaña y Escalada" (it is something like Sports Technician on Mountain and Climbing). There is a first level (TD1) that is common, but it has limited professional competencies. Then there are three routes in a second level (TD2): "Tecnico Deportivo de Media Montaña"(it's equivalent to Mountain Leader, and depending on where you do it, International Mountain Leader, with the UIMLA certificate. But you can't programme an activity that requires a rope, axes, crampons...), "Tecnico Deportivo de Escalada" (something like "Climbing ML", that I guess is like the climbing scheme here in the UK), and Barrancos (something like "Ravines ML"?, descending through gorges and so on, with ropes, jumps on pools...). 

It would be the third level (TD3) for Climbing and another for Mountain Guide ("Alta Montaña"), although it is more complicated and requires experience (similar to the Mountain Guide here in UK).

They are organized as formal education (actually it is under the kind of student people can choose after high school when don't want to go to the Uni, I guess it should be a similar scheme in UK) and require more time assisting to lessons than here. Depending on the place, it can be concentrate in a couple of months, or distributed along the year on sessions of two, three, four days. There are three parts on each level: one is a theory, other is more practical, with teaching on the hills, and another implies an internship in an outdoor company or with an official mountain guide. Some of the places where it is taught can give you automatically the international accreditations (UIMLA if to do the ML second level and IFMGA (UIAGM in Spanish) after the third level

If you are interested and want more info, let me know

jezb1 02 Dec 2020
In reply to LuisSFM:

I think the difficulty will be whether a company will accept a non UK qualification. There's a shed load of ML qualified people so a company doesn't need to spend time checking their insurance company is happy, looking at your qualification's syllabus etc. I think you'd have to try and get "in" with one or more companies, which may take a bit more effort than just replying to a Facebook ad for example. (Get yourself on the Freelance Outdoor Instructors page on FB if you're not already).

Once you've got IML that's a different matter and there'd be a lot of available work - assuming you do a good job etc.

Toerag 02 Dec 2020
In reply to LuisSFM:

>  Barrancos (something like "Ravines ML"?, descending through gorges and so on, with ropes, jumps on pools...). 

This is known as 'canyoneering' in English.  In the Lake district it's often called 'Gyhll scrambling', a Ghyll being a stream in a ravine.

Do the Spanish level 2 qualifications distinguish between winter and summer conditions? The UK scheme does. If you did decide to go for the UK qualifications be aware that the requisite number of 'quality mountain days' must be undertaken in the UK - experience in Spain / Europe doesn't count (although is a useful addition).

jezb1 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Toerag:

Up to 50% of the QMDs can be from outside of the U.K., as long as the terrain and conditions are similar, which may or may not be the case for the OP.

Toerag 02 Dec 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Ah that's interesting, I specifically didn't bother doing my summer ML as I'd rather walk in the alps than the UK. I suspect 'similar to the UK' criteria pretty much results in Norway being the only close option, or is Sweden mountainous enough? There's too many paths in the alps.

Trangia 02 Dec 2020
In reply to LuisSFM:

You could try a travel company offering adventure holidays? Eg Explore, or Exodus maybe

jezb1 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Toerag:

Yeah there’s not necessarily loads of that terrain in Europe but definitely worth keeping in mind for some aspiring MLs.

Areas of Norway and Sweden certainly spring to mind, and I’ve seen some similar stuff in Eastern Europe. You’re right that the Alps, though amazing, aren’t quite the same!

Gav Parker 02 Dec 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Jez

Slightly off subject but do you think the amount of qualified Summer Mountain Leaders should be capped? I understand loads of people do the award for there own interest...and also providers like yourself run up to 4 or 5 training and assessment weeks in a year...but is anyone actually looking at the numbers of qualified ML’s? Or do you think theres plenty of work for those that want it.....

lpretro1 03 Dec 2020
In reply to LuisSFM:

I have a few friends working in the outdoor industry and right now they are all struggling for work due to Covid. Don't see how that is going to improve in the next few months either

OP LuisSFM 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Toerag:

There is differences and there  are different schemes, altogh not exactly as here. The idea is that if you get qualify in a place where you can receive the UIMLA certificate, you are supposed to have the equivalent as a IML and it is supposed to be recognised for the countries that are part of UIMLA (as the UK).

Regarding the experience, I know. I've being going out to the mountains since I came here, although I'm not sure when you can consider it as  QMD.

girlymonkey 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Gav Parker:

I think you need to sort your niche as an ML. Mine is foreign language work. There are very few MLs who can guide in another language (not just school level "we are going over there, let's go"!). I have to interpret in medical situations, menus in restaurants, distillery tours etc, so proper language skills needed. I am not competing with many others for work. I guess others combine it with other skills too. 

Gav Parker 07 Dec 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thanks...yes a language or two has lots of advantages...especially if you can put them to good use....you sound like you have sorted a little niche for yourself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...