UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Stoodley Pike and the Calder Valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Drew Whitworth 18 Jul 2020

Stoodley PikeThe area between the National Parks of the Peak District and Yorkshire Dales is known as the South Pennines AONB. It lacks high and prominent summits, so does not attract walkers in quite the numbers that the Parks do, though it is still a popular area. There is some grand countryside here, semi-urban but very attractive. Hebden Bridge is an active walking centre, easily accessible by train from Leeds, Manchester and the towns of Lancashire, and this walk is as good an introduction to the region as any. Geographically, the walk's summit, Stoodley Pike would pass unnoticed without its huge memorial obelisk, first erected to celebrate the victory over Napoleon 200 years ago and rebuilt in its current form later in the 19th century. The rest of the walk takes you across moorland with very fine views of the valley below.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1291

afx22 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Drew Whitworth:

With these route cards, would it be possible to show summarised info, such as total distance, total elevation, difficulty, typical duration and so on?  This would definitely help me decide whether I want to do the route.

Removed User 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Drew Whitworth:

I use to live in the valley and Stoodley Pike was one of my regular runs. Pleased that you're picked up that it's a peace monument and not glorying bloodshed.

In reply to afx22:

Yes, we do! On a computer screen that's all in the right hand column. On a phone you just scroll down and it's at the end

Bacon Butty 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Night mode doesn't darken this section's background and is impossible to read.

OK in day mode.

On a phone this is.

Post edited at 11:20
 afx22 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I’m the same as Taylor’s Landlord.  In dark mode, there seems to be white text on a white background on the right.  I’m using an ipad.

Removed User 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> I use to live in the valley and Stoodley Pike was one of my regular runs. Pleased that you're picked up that it's a peace monument and not glorying bloodshed.

Some of the ladies in Hebden Bridge think its a huge phallic symbol and aren't too pleased about it. There has been rumours of strange goings on up there, aliens and other strange creatures-my climbing buddy camped the night up there and ended up fleeing back to Tod which tells you it must have been scary .Tod itself can be scary on a Saturday night and its had its moments like the policeman that was abducted by aliens (The Bacup Boys perhaps?) and the burnt corpse on the railway sidings etc. Be careful out there.

However if you like the South Pennine hills get a copy of Chris Goddards book on 'The West Yorkshire Moors' ,incredible detail on the maps and well researched.

Albert Tatlock 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

I have been abducted by aliens 👽 up Sharneyford, near to the space observatory.

In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

Thanks, I've fixed the dark mode sidebar.

dread-i 21 Jul 2020
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

>I use to live in the valley and Stoodley Pike was one of my regular runs.

In the Howarth Hobble fell race, there is an aid station about 1k before the pike. One of the offerings that have, along with water and snacks, is whisky. I had a tiny nip, about a heaped teaspoon full, and it was wonderful after eating sugary foods for miles. Cleared my head and generally perked me up. However, by the time i got to the top of the pike, I felt p*ssed. I put it down to me being an athlete, and my blood pumping faster, rather than me being a lightweight. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...