UKC

Summer ML Scrambling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Hill 15 Jun 2021

Hi all,

I have been working towards my summer ML award. My aim is to gain a good amount of experience so I can go into the training reasonably comfortable with the situations I am likely to encounter, leaving my mind more relaxed and free to focus on learning what is being taught. I’m feeling ok with my current kit, navigation, knowledge and experience but I am not always confident on scrambles (i.e. able to do Tryfan’s N. Ridge in good weather but it took me a few attempts to do Sharp Edge due to some serious jelly legs!).

As far as I know scrambling is not part of the ML syllabus, but based on the reading I have done it seems quite possible I will be spending time on grade 1 territory during the training. My question for those who have done the award/training is: Should I aim to be comfortable on grade 1 scrambling ground?

Thanks for the help!

Matt

MuckyMorris 15 Jun 2021
In reply to Matt Hill:

A couple of years since i did the training -not got round to doing the award yet - and this was covered. The stated opinions varied on whether Grade 1 leadership would/should be covered with the award, as its dependant on the individual as to whether they need a rope, but as an individual they should be comfortable on grade 1 terrain. We defended Seniors Gully, Grade 1- I believe, and told it was an example of the type of terrain we should be comfortable on. We also did Gribin Ridge on our scrambling day on the course. Hope that helps.

Martin Hore 15 Jun 2021
In reply to Matt Hill:

hi Matt

It's a long time since I did my ML (1971!) but I was involved in training courses more recently. Unless the requirements have changed I think that, yes, you should be comfortable on grade 1 scrambling terrain and ideally have a fair few scrambles under your belt as part of your logged experience before you go for ML assessment. But I wouldn't worry too much about your experience pre-training. Yes, you need to be a reasonably confident hill-walker to get the best out of the course, but the main thing you will learn at training is where the gaps in your experience are that you need to work on between training and assessment.

Martin

annieman 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Matt Hill:

Hi Matt, the ML traing course is all about training, you don't have to be an expert. You will learn lots of things that will make understanding what is required from the Assessment in a friendly and safe manner.

Also look at the MTA workshops on Scrambling. There are ones on Crib Goch, Tryfan and Striding Edge. I'm an ML of 20 yrs experience and learnt loads from Graham Uney's Striding Edge Workshop. Other workshops are run by equally experienced leaders.

LucaC 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Matt Hill:

Yes, you should be confident on grade 1 ground. There's a 'steep ground' day on training and assessment where you will be expected to demonstrate you can look after clients on steep, broken ground.

If you are confident moving about on graded terrain, then any steep ground on training and assessment won't be a problem. You will probably get more out of your training if you are in your comfort zone when on steep ground as you'll be able to concentrate on learning new rope skills etc. 

Since you mention it, the North Ridge of Tryfan is a common place to see ML training and assessments taking place. We did Seniors Gully and Seniors Ridge on one day of my assessment.

It sounds like you've got the perfect excuse to get away every weekend to log some more classic mountain scrambles! 

OP Matt Hill 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Matt Hill:

Hi all,

Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated.

I'm going to get a few more grade 1 scrambles logged before I book onto the training, perhaps also in less ideal weather and with an expedition pack on. The routes mentioned in this thread look great and should be a good starting point. If I'm having difficulty I might book onto a scrambling workshop to boost my skills.

Matt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...