UKC

Taking a rope/gear on Slovenia multi-day trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lemonhead 14 Jul 2022

Hi all, I’d like some advice from the wise!

This August me and my girlfriend are heading to Slovenia for an 8 day hike through the Julian Alps. Along the way we are going to do some via ferratas. I haven’t done any via ferratas (although I climb regularly, E1/f7a) and my girlfriend has done a fair few. We’ve both done plenty of walking.

My question is: as we are out for several days, is it worth taking a rope (perhaps one of a 60m pair) plus a very small rack (1 set of nuts, slings and screwgates)?

I would just like to have a few options should we need to bail off anywhere, get to anything unexpectedly tricky/get lost while hiking or encounter some difficult or sparsely protected sections on the via ferratas.

Is it a sensible idea, or is it overkill?

If it’s useful the via ferratas we plan to do are: the east side of Ponza Grande (Italian side of the border); Prisojnik via Kopiščarjeva route and Trgiglav via Cez Prag route.

Thanks in advance!

VictorM 14 Jul 2022
In reply to lemonhead:

A confidence/abseil rope and some crabs, slings and maybe an ATC might come in handy if you're new to VF but personally I wouldn't bother bringing any rock protection unless you plan to rock climb.

Toerag 14 Jul 2022
In reply to lemonhead:

You'll definitely find the mountain VFs under-protected compared to ones further west, Slovenians are obviously quite bold. Not on the hard bits, but on the easier bits - expect to find unprotected UIAA 1+ / UK 'moderate' scrambling sections. Climbing-wise they won't tax you, but if you're not happy scrambling on exposed ground you might want to take a thin 'gap crossing' rope and a handful of nuts.

gethin_allen 14 Jul 2022
In reply to Toerag:

I agree, we did a few VFs in Slovenia and I personally found the harder grades easier because they were properly protected.

John Kelly 15 Jul 2022
In reply to lemonhead:

the prisojnik route via the ' window ' is fairly straightforward, VF kit

The other prisojnik route has a tiny but show stopping glacier buried in a gully - axe, crampons and a rope would be my choice, maybe add an ice screw

Triglav is fine - VF kit

your unlikely to need any climbing gear  however there are some fairly exposed passages just on the walking sections,

I took 20m of 7.5mm as we did these with youngish kids, cant remember deploying the  rope, a 60m might spoil the day

HTH

Ps they are great days out 

Post edited at 18:55
OP lemonhead 27 Jul 2022

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for the useful comments, they've all helped me in the planning for this trip and are much appreciated. 

Enjoy your summers! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...