UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: The Atlantic Ridge of Carnedd Y Filiast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 07 Aug 2019

Looking across at the Atlantic Ridge with two scramblers dwarfed by its size.This is one of the more extreme scrambles in Snowdonia. Whilst never technically hard, a mere grade 2, it goes on at that grade for about 400m. As such it is both committing and exhilarating in equal measure. For most parties it is a roped up adventure of the highest order of difficulty, and will require a full day to complete due to the number of pitches. Only true expert scrambles should consider soloing this route. The route climbs a gentle slab of immaculate rock which was once the ocean floor, and it is for this reason that the rock appears 'undulated', like the sand on the beach of a gently retreating tide.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1233

Mal Grey 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Mark Reeves:

This was one of my favourite days out back in the day when I lived close enough to nip over to Snowdonia for a day, back in the early 90s. Once you're a few pitches up, the convex nature of the slab means that you can no longer see the bottom, and there's just you and your mate(s) on this patch of rock half way up to the sky. The climbing is never difficult for the grade, just exposed, though if you do rope it, there were sections with little gear in for the more nervous leaders. It would take for ever if you put lots in though! Mostly its just wandering around near the edge of the slab until your rope starts to get heavy, then find a belay. Though easy enough, its highly recommended for anyone with a sense of adventure, whatever grade you climb.

pasbury 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Fantastic and unique place. I can't remember what routes I did up there and I don't think it really matters, the rock is lovely and rough.

ScottTalbot 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Mark Reeves:

This looks awesome! It's definitely going on my to-do list..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...