UKC

The never-solved problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reader_Rambles 12 Apr 2023

Sleeping bags and stuff sacks or dry bags or something else...

What do you pack your sleeping back in wild camping/hiking? I am soon to be getting into some more wild camping and camping in general but I am trying to find the near perfect solution to packing my sleeping bag into my backpack. 

Darron 12 Apr 2023
In reply to Reader_Rambles:

Decent plastic bag in bottom of rucksack sleeping bag stuffed into that. Keeps dry and fills bottom of rucksack efficiently. Never in a stuff sack and NEVER on the outside (shudder).

OwenM 12 Apr 2023

I put mine in a drybag but there's no right answer it's what ever works for you. 

Mal Grey 12 Apr 2023

Thin Drybags, as they can help compress down to a small size and are properly waterproof. Obviously don't store them long-term tightly packed.

grectangle 12 Apr 2023

Compression sack then factory stuff sack, on the outside.  Pack cover if wet.  

If you've got space to put it your bag, then just a compression sack.  It's not that complicated.

J72 12 Apr 2023

Agree with suggestions from others on a dry bag, ideally one that is relatively compressible/you can get the air out of it.  I never use a pack cover for my backpack because they just don’t ever seem to work well in rain and wind (ie. in Scotland 70% of the time) so like to ensure anything goes want dry is bagged up in my pack.

In reply to J72:

In terms of dry bags, what do you use? I have a variety of exped, sea to summits and cheaper amazon finds, however one never seems to be the best solution. However, I guess thats it, nothing is perfect for the job. 

Mark Haward 12 Apr 2023

I think there is no one solution and other factors also come into play. If I am car camping then probably keep the sleeping bag in the stuff sack it came in. If overnighting on a walk where weight / bulk is not critical a compression sack reduces the bulk ( and possibly the size of the rucksack I need to carry it in too ) plus a standard dry bag for the sleeping bag ( unless I'm in an area very unlikely to rain or get damp from the ground - so not the usual UK conditions ). Usually have a dry bag liner for the rucksack too. Refuse sacks can work in the short term, and are usually cheaper or even free, but if you are a regular overnighter there life span is usually more limited and are harder to compress.

When multi day overnighting or alpine climbing ( think snow / possible precipitation ) where weight and bulk is more critical then I usually use the smallest dry bag that works for the sleeping bag I am taking that has a valve that really helps reduce bulk.

In reply to Mark Haward:

I have experienced all the above and I'm amazed there still isn't a 'standard' solution I guess. I'll keep on getting dry bags every few years as they begin to leak or don't hold their compression as well anymore. 

Niall_H 12 Apr 2023
In reply to bouldery bits:

I use the Exped version, with compresssion straps ( https://www.exped.com/en/products/storage/waterproof-telecompression-bag ) which works very well in terms of keeping things compact and dry.

J72 12 Apr 2023

Not proud of the ethics but I’ve a whole set of very cheap karrimor ones purchased from sports direct.  They’re fairly thin but robust enough and very cheap and importantly have yet to leave my kit wet despite a soaked through pack on a few occasions.

What’s wrong with what you have, one of those sounds ideal no? 

In reply to J72:

Yeah, I will continue with what I've got, they seem to be the same solution that everyone else is using. I was just wondering if there was any secret life hack I had missed. 

DaveHK 12 Apr 2023

> I have experienced all the above and I'm amazed there still isn't a 'standard' solution . 

Not really that surprising given that people have different sizes of rucksacks and sleeping bag.

All I've done for years is stuff it in a drybag at the bottom of my rucksack. 

Fiona Reid 12 Apr 2023

I pack mine in its super light stuff sack and then put it in a decent dry bag. Down bags don't like to be wet. Then just chuck in the sack and squish clothes, food etc around it

Fiona Reid 12 Apr 2023

A mixture. Heavy duty Exped ones for critical things that can't get wet like my sleeping bag.  Lighter weight Osprey/Sea to Summit/Alpkit or Lomo ones for everything else. I select these mostly based on their size but my sleeping bag always goes in the bombproof one as I want it to remain dry.

Post edited at 17:44
 peppermill 12 Apr 2023

> I have experienced all the above and I'm amazed there still isn't a 'standard' solution I guess. 

It depends on so many factors so there won't be! Size of your rucksack, pack size of your sleeping bag, whether it's down or synthetic, weight and bulk of the rest of your kit etc etc. It's just trial and error and find out what works best for you and your kit. 

Waterproof stuff sac inside the main rucksack at the very bottom works for me. Strapped to the outside is plain irritating and a bit DofE Bronze for my liking!

damowilk 12 Apr 2023

I use 3 different dry bags for overnight tramping(NZ hiking), For gear organisation and a bit of redundancy.

I had 1 trip with a miserable night due to a wet sleeping bag, after water kept getting into my pack when opening and closing it, gathered at the bottom of the pack and the light weight dry bag wasn’t up to keeping it out. 
So I now use one heavier weight kayak type dry bag (Sea to Summit dry river), that has my sleeping bag, mat and down jacket, that sits at the bottom of my sack. 

FactorXXX 12 Apr 2023

Compression sack to reduce volume and then into a polythene bag (heavy gauge bin liner) for waterproofness. 

MG 13 Apr 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

Exactly. I'm unclear what the issue is here!

Dark-Cloud 13 Apr 2023

> I was just wondering if there was any secret life hack I had missed.

urrrggghhhh

Tringa 13 Apr 2023

Compression sack then a tough refuse or a rubble bag.

Dave

Lankyman 13 Apr 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Compression sack to reduce volume and then into a polythene bag (heavy gauge bin liner) for waterproofness. 

Can we just stop stating the bleedin' obvious? There has to be space on UKC for long discussion of expensive, high tech kit with heroic names. Plastic bag my @rse ... 

ianstevens 13 Apr 2023

> Sleeping bags and stuff sacks or dry bags or something else...

> What do you pack your sleeping back in wild camping/hiking? I am soon to be getting into some more wild camping and camping in general but I am trying to find the near perfect solution to packing my sleeping bag into my backpack. 

It's a pretty solved problem. A drybag the correct size. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...