UKC

Whernside from Ribblehead

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blunderbuss 29 Oct 2020

Plan to take my son up this tomorrow.....are there any significant parts of it that are likely to be a bog fest after the recent wet weather?

Thanks

DaveHK 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

It's all pretty well slabbed as I recall, assuming you're going up the main path via Force Gill.

static266 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

As said it’s got slabs laid over the boggy sections but last weekend the  streams were high and plenty of water running down the paths. It’ll be wet but you shouldn’t sink!

Lankyman 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

As others have mentioned, it's a made path all the way up. You might even get a view if you arrive on top later in the day - might be sunny in the afternoon? You can make a circuit by continuing south over the summit and descending the Three Peaks path. Easy tracks lead back to the Ribblehead Viaduct and the start. Make sure you have a good look at this and show junior just how fantastic Victorian engineering could be. There's a great plaque under it which was put in when they refurbished the viaduct about 30 years ago.

OP Blunderbuss 29 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

I was thinking the direct route via the farm....does this still exist? .... been 30 years since I've been up it. 

In reply to Lankyman:

Yes I'd like a view of the Lake District if possible so it will be a afternoon trip.... 

The New NickB 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

> I was thinking the direct route via the farm....does this still exist? .... been 30 years since I've been up it. 

Only on race day, by agreement of the farmer.

Lankyman 29 Oct 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

> Only on race day, by agreement of the farmer.

It used to be the original way the Three Peaks went and got horribly eroded. It's been blocked off for decades and thankfully has almost disappeared. The way up following the railway and past Force Gill is far more scenic and interesting.

In reply to The New NickB:

> Only on race day, by agreement of the farmer.

Thanks

In reply to Lankyman:

> It used to be the original way the Three Peaks went and got horribly eroded. It's been blocked off for decades and thankfully has almost disappeared. The way up following the railway and past Force Gill is far more scenic and interesting.

It is for sure, my son prefers the most direct routes up hills though  

DaveHK 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

As other's have said it's a no-no now and if it's been rainy it will be a total quagmire too.

In reply to Blunderbuss:

You can force a route not a million miles from the original which is on access land. Direct it is, but pleasant it's not. 

yorkshire_lad2 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

web cams courtesy of the Settle Carlisle : https://settlecarlisletrust.org.uk/webcams/

It's looking pretty murky on Whernside at the moment (Fri morning)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...