UKC

York Moors Location Sleuthing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TeeBee 06 Apr 2022

I was wondering if anyone could help with identifying the location of an old photo - hopefully this will be easy for people familiar with the area, but I've never been and there's little info provided with the picture. 
I'm assuming it was taken somewhere on the Yorkshire Moors, as it's from a collection of pictures my mum took when doing a dissertation on dry-stone walling in the area (coming up to fifty years ago now, but that's nowt to geology) . And it looks like it features a pretty distinctive rock that I imagine locals would recognise in a trice. Any ideas?

ebdon 06 Apr 2022
In reply to TeeBee:

Allthough I cant be specific it looks very much like the sort of thing you find at Bridestones near Dalby forest

Billhook 06 Apr 2022
In reply to TeeBee:

The only area in the NYM with stones like that is, as ebdon says is the Bridestones in grid sq, 87/91.

Is your mother's dissertation on-line anywhere?  50yrs ago I know, but I'm also a drystone waller - had to ask!

mikej 06 Apr 2022
In reply to TeeBee:

Possibly one of the Doubler Stones on Ilkley Moor West.

Billhook 07 Apr 2022
In reply to TeeBee:

Ignore my reply - I misread Yorkshire Moors for North Yorkshire Moors.

Sam Beaton 07 Apr 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I agree too. The rock looks too dark for it to be at the NYM Bridestones

ebdon 07 Apr 2022
In reply to Billhook:

Same here, I clearly have North York Moors on the brain.  The above suggestion looks spot on.

OP TeeBee 07 Apr 2022
In reply to everyone:

Outstanding - I hoped the UKC hive mind would come up trumps, but that was even quicker than I was expecting. Thanks very much all!

To Billhook - I doubt the dissertation's online, I'm afraid, at least not in a form my mum would have been involved with. It was through Leeds Uni, I believe; possibly they have a digitised version, but it seems a long shot. I'll try to remember to ask next time I see her.

Billhook 07 Apr 2022
In reply to TeeBee:

Thanks TeeBee.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...