UKC

A good summary of laws around wild camping E&W

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CantClimbTom 11 May 2021

Apologies if this was posted here before and I missed it, but it may be of interest to people here

Legal aspects of wild-camping, right to roam etc in England&Wales. Sure nothing in it is shocking or revolutionary but it's a good clear summary from someone who actually know what they're talking about (not merely an opinion of a random idiot like me )

youtube.com/watch?v=4sHIrzWEZjA&

richprideaux 11 May 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

It's very well made, and will hit the right terms for a search result. But like his video on foraging law - he omits some important information and it will likely lead to false confidence (legally speaking).

crayefish 11 May 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

There are only two 'laws' for wild camping in E&W:

1 - Don't leave a trace

2 - Don't get caught

Easy

Neil Williams 11 May 2021
In reply to crayefish:

In essence "if you were caught you weren't doing it properly", give or take that Peak landowner using drones with thermal imaging cameras.  Though TBH other than maybe some of the more isolated bits towards the Snake Pass to me most of the Peak isn't rural enough for it.

IOW if you put up your bright orange tent at Stanage at 3 in the afternoon you should expect to be caught and were doing it wrong.

Post edited at 12:31
OP CantClimbTom 11 May 2021

Agree with crayefish!  I was taught the value of the 11th commandment (don't get caught) and believe don't leave a trace as part and parcel of that -- not only didn't you catch me, you didn't even know I was there and there's no evidence anyway

Lankyman 11 May 2021
In reply to crayefish:

> There are only two 'laws' for wild camping in E&W:

> 1 - Don't leave a trace

> 2 - Don't get caught

> Easy

From an earlier epoch:

'Thou shalt not wreck the place'

peppermill 11 May 2021
In reply to crayefish:

3-Don't tell anyone where you're nice wee camping spot is, let them find it themselves ;p

tehmarks 11 May 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

Plenty of the Peak is rural enough for it, keeping in mind the aforementioned eleventh commandment. If no one stumbles upon your camp, and no one knows you were there, does it really matter if you camp up, for example, overlooking Edale? No harm caused, no trace left, no one any the wiser.

In contrast to the gentleman seen a few weeks ago striking his tent...next to the plantation next to the High Neb parking, at 10:00, in full view of every person in the vicinity.

Denning76 11 May 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

I seem to actually recall a recent case involving people camping overlooking Edale. Because they were in sight of the village, someone saw their lights flashing and called mountain rescue.

tehmarks 11 May 2021
In reply to Denning76:

A rubbish waste of MR time, but I'd argue that they've failed at:

> ... If...no one knows you were there

OP CantClimbTom 11 May 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

> ... stumbles upon your camp....

Then you're obliged to kill them and eat the body  to keep the secret

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...