UKC

All day rain trousers for hiking? 'On' instead of 'over'...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crayefish 04 Jun 2023

Since ceasing to be a semi-broke student a decade ago, I've learned that for the mountains in winter one should just wear (and invest in) goretex as one's main trousers/salopettes, rather than bothering with waterproof over-trousers on top of ski type trousers when required.  Expensive but worth it.

However, for some reason I never experimented with the same for hiking in the past couple of decades.  I've always hiked in shorts or quick drying trousers and then just had to hope they dried in the tent overnight.  While I don't mind wet legs one bit, wet boots from water running down is rather more tiresome.

Presumably fabrics have moved on a bit and there are now goretex type hiking trousers that can fully replace normal trousers for autumn to spring use?  Obviously breathability is rather important, while proper pockets and a less plasticy inside (for not wearing long johns underneath) would be rather essential.

Can anyone recommend some models to investigate?

Mike-W-99 04 Jun 2023
In reply to crayefish:

Can only think of paramo. Can be a bit marmite for some folk though.

In reply to crayefish:

+1 for Paramo.

OP crayefish 04 Jun 2023
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Thanks.  I'll check out some reviews.  Why would they be a bit marmite though?  Varying opinions on breathability or waterproofness.

In reply to crayefish:

Paramo for warmth and snow/Ice/active days. 

Decathlon sailing salopettes for warmish but very wet days. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-waterproof-overalls-sailing-yacht-racin...

StuDoig 04 Jun 2023
In reply to crayefish:

as folk above have suggested, the main selling point of Paramo is that it;s supposed to be worn all day regardless of whether it's raining or not.  Some find it too hot and as it's not a membrane if you sit down on wet ground etc then damp can be forced through the fabric.  Personally I really rate it.  for some reason it just doesn't seem to work for some people and they will find it leaks horrendously.  very much marmite as someone above posted.....

Alternaitve might be heavy soft shell like the ME Vulcan Trouser which are membrane based and very waterproof for a softshell might be suitable for you.

Cheers,

STu

DaveHK 04 Jun 2023
In reply to crayefish:

> Presumably fabrics have moved on a bit and there are now goretex type hiking trousers that can fully replace normal trousers for autumn to spring use? 

Not really.

Gormenghast 05 Jun 2023
In reply to crayefish:

Rohan trousers such as their dry ranger are waterproof yet feel very much like a normal trouser.

They use a drop liner made of barricade fabric so are a bit heavier than a lightweight trouser but they’re 100% waterproof even in torrential rain and comfortable enough to wear all day long.

They even look reasonably stylish too.

Being Rohan they aren’t cheap but are durable.

PJ2398 05 Jun 2023
In reply to crayefish:

Have a look at the Rab Kinetic pants. I’ve got a pair and they are almost like a pair of light soft shell trousers but waterproof, with taped seams. They are very breathable, though not quite as good as normal soft shell, but they are very comfortable. They won’t cope with a full on downpour for hours  but, in my experience, are plenty waterproof enough for general hiking. I tend to grab them on days when it’ll be showery or a bit mixed and can’t be bothered with the faff of putting on/taking off waterproof pants. I’ve also used them in snow with a base layer underneath and they were good, but don’t catch them with a crampon!

Doug 05 Jun 2023
In reply to PJ2398:

Anyone tried ventile trousers ? I had a ventile jacket which was good in light rain & very breathable, but never tried trousers

In reply to crayefish:

> for autumn to spring use?

I assume you mean over winter with that wording, rather than spring to autumn over summer?

Paramo I always used as my go to in the hills for colder periods. If over the spring to autumn period though, Craghopper still do a trouser that is waterproof.

Not tried recent versions, but I had a pair years ago and they did what they were meant to. I liked that they looked and felt like normal trouser and could be used when in mixed conditions (even in dry conditions if weather forecast changed though not if really hot summer weather). Used them even when it was not raining but in long wet vegetation to save getting wet legs. Didn’t like them for the winter cold though as felt too cold on my legs.

timparkin 05 Jun 2023
In reply to PJ2398:

> Have a look at the Rab Kinetic pants. ...  I tend to grab them on days when it’ll be showery or a bit mixed and can’t be bothered with the faff of putting on/taking off waterproof pants. I’ve also used them in snow with a base layer underneath and they were good, but don’t catch them with a crampon!

Same here - the Kinetic Alpine are a bit more substantial but the Kinetic are softer. I have the alpine and have worn summer and winter when I know the rain/snow is going to pass rather than be biblical

Toerag 07 Jun 2023
In reply to Doug:

I would suspect Ventile would be fine until you kneel or sit on wet ground based upon my experience of a single layer smock.  However, even if water does come through at pressure points it's probably not going to ruin your day?  I'd suggest that unless you know it's going to be tipping down all day, Ventile, ETAProof, Fjallraven G1000 or Schoeller trousers would be fine for a single day hike where you don't need to worry about a second day and wet kit.

At least one manufacturer recommends double layer Ventile for proper waterproofness, but that's going to make trousers super-hot and heavy. Perhaps double layer on knees and backside would be the best solution?

wercat 09 Jun 2023
In reply to Toerag:

How about gabardine?  The 1960 pattern combat smock and trousers seemed to be made of this.  I think my first hillwalking was done in them as a student and they were OK in the rain. and protected against barbed wire but a bit low in the crotch

Foggy wore the smock in LOTSW

Post edited at 11:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...