UKC

Alpine Grades for Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Malpractise 23 Feb 2013
If the ridges of Tryfan and Snowdon were in the Alps, what grade would they go at?
 Only a hill 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Malpractise:
I think they would get F.
 GridNorth 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Malpractise: The approach walk. Seriously I know some hut approaches that are harder and longer than these.
 Banned User 77 23 Feb 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Malpractise) The approach walk. Seriously I know some hut approaches that are harder and longer than these.

which?
 LakesWinter 23 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Couvercle hut, Cabane de la Maye, Conscrits hut, Ecrins hut, Pelvoux hut and none of these are even in the climb to a hut category
 Banned User 77 23 Feb 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: So you seriously think crib goch should be ungraded?

Solaris 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Malpractise:

Given that quite a few hut approaches are graded climbs in their own right - eg the Couvercle (F+), Conscrits (F) and the Ecrins (F) - I'm not sure that suggesting that the Tryfan and Snowdon ridges are *only* hut walks is particularly illuminating.

I think Crib Goch and Bristly Ridge would be F.
 MG 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Malpractise: Agree with F for these.
 Billhook 24 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
I don't think he said, or meant that. It was in reference to the fact that some approaches to alpine huts are harder than Grib Goch even though the alpine approaches have no grade.
In reply to Dave Perry:

They do in Martin moran's guidebook- is that not common practice? It's.the only alpine guidebook I've got so I assumed they all did the same
 Kid Spatula 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Malpractise:

The approach to the Mischabel hut is longer and harder than Tryfan North Ridge, and is given W2. It's also the steepest walk in I've done. Coming down is knee shattering.
 Banned User 77 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Dave Perry: n = 1 science...

Just because the odd route is ungraded.. grib goch shouldn't be.. its a serious route.. to argue otherwise is crazy. In winter its ruddy serious.
 MG 25 Feb 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
> (In reply to Dave Perry)
>
> They do in Martin moran's guidebook- is that not common practice? It's.the only alpine guidebook I've got so I assumed they all did the same

They do, or at least all the common ones do. Some huts get quite high grades for the approach.

Oujmik 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Malpractise: What about Scotland then? Say Aonach Eagach or Curved Ridge, or Tower Ridge? I guess it depends whether you assume they'd be in their winter or summer condition...
 Solaris 25 Feb 2013
In reply to MG:

Quite right - as I tried to point out in an earlier posting...

Pejorative comparisons between the OP's routes and hut approaches don't help answer her/his question. But at least Iain, you and I seem to be agreed that the answer is F.
 Solaris 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Oujmik:

Scottish winter grades in comparison with the alps has been fairly widely discussed elsewhere on UKC. Interestingly, the OP's comparison hasn't, iirc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...