UKC

Assist me in planning? Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reader_Rambles 29 Apr 2023

Afternoon all, 

Looking at spending some time in the Lakes, after an impromptu plan to go during whit week. 

Aiming to do some wild camping, but some campsite camping in the areas of Keswick, Ambleside and Buttermere. I am noticing availability is likely all fully booked, so I might resort to paying for overnight parking and going off and wild camping, which will mean more summits.

Can anyone recommend campsites near these areas?

Bulls Crack 04 May 2023
In reply to Reader_Rambles:

Campsites at Grange, Stonethwaite and Castlerigg for Borrowdale . Stonethwaite doesn't take bookings so good chance of finding somewhere. 

GrahamD 05 May 2023

No specific itinerary, but I find the BMC Lake District map invaluable for working out routes.  Not only is the whole of the Lakes on one sheet, the coluring gives a very clear idea of altitude and relief.

Wainers44 05 May 2023

Keswick area, Burns Farm and Setmabanning are really good and if you only have a tent I would be amazed if they are totally full? The sites at Stonethwaite are both good. The one by the river can be noisy,  the other is quiet, as you are interviewed before pitching (in a good way!).

We like Gillside at Glenridding,  but so do the mice so have a thick groundsheet!

If you do wildcamp,  think a bit laterally.  All the Tarn spots will be busy that week, so maybe give Angle Tarn (both); Grizedale Tarn etc a wide berth.

loose overhang 09 May 2023

From what I know of the Lakes, you should camp at the nearest place you can to, do the hiking you want to.  Nowadays though I try to be as light as possible and wear trail runners and shorts, so I go from far away.

Post edited at 04:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...