UKC

B1 boots Scarpa SL

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blodwyn 19 Oct 2018

In anticipation of getting some Winter walks in during the coming months, I've just bought the new Scarpa SL and despite having the fitting at a local supplier, trying two sizes and trying different thickness socks find that I can feel my heel moving within the boot, "heel lift". I am able to return them and would appreciate ideas on alternatives!

In reply to Blodwyn:

I purchased a pair of SL Activs last winter and also experienced some heel lift. In the end I changed the way I was lacing them up (copied it off YouTube) which seemed to do the job. I hope that advice is useful.

Welsh Kate 20 Oct 2018
In reply to Blodwyn:

Try lock-lacing (you'll find plenty of images and videos on tinternet to show you how).

And / or take 'em back to the shop and if it's a half-decent shop, they'll help you further with fitting, including potentially a different footbed or different lacing.

angry pirate 20 Oct 2018
In reply to Blodwyn:

I agree with the earlier posters: lacing makes a difference. I switched the insoles for something with a little more arch support and that helped too. They do need a little old fashioned breaking in too.

In reply to Blodwyn:

I’ve have been using SLs for some 40 yrs. Most I’ve had have had some heel lift to start with. 

As others have said lacing is important, and getting that right makes a big difference. I also have found that some replacements needed more breaking in than others, including my last activ model somewhat surprisingly. However, once shaped to my feet and with lacing sorted, they have all been comfortable.

I’ve never needed to change the footbed, but it all depends on foot anatomy, gait, etc. A good shop should help with ongoing fitting issues after selling the boots.

Dave the Rave 20 Oct 2018
In reply to Blodwyn:

My first  proper boots were scarpa trionic sl. For 2 years I let them rub my heels to bits. Then I got a ball pane hammer, scalded them in boiling water and smashed the heel cup until it was soft. No more problems and still got them. 

OP Blodwyn 21 Oct 2018
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thanks to responders, I'm giving the lock-lacing a try!

I have been considering returning them and looking for an alternative boot but will give this a go first.

bouldery bits 21 Oct 2018
In reply to Blodwyn:

I have SL's. Love em. Heel lift for me was countered by the insertion of something like this:

https://www.healthandcare.co.uk/heel-lifts.html

try it!

Alien85 09 Dec 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

Yeah, I wear Mantas and had a similar quandary. When customising them, I ended up buying a boot 1 size bigger, packing them with two insoles and those wedges to which you refer plus wearing two pair’s of sox. Bingo bango bongo! I can go all day with them. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...