UKC

Backpacking with 10yo? Route advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lostintrees 03 Mar 2023

Gaming obsessed 10yo backpacking without WiFi or power,  good idea or not? 

Either way does anyone have a good idea for a week long trip in hills with wildcamping and campsites? He's a fit enough lad who's done some decent cycle tours before including 50 miles a day at 4.5 yo. It's just I need a route to grab him and keep him occupied. Possibly an impossible thing to find. 

Lankyman 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Lostintrees:

West Highland Way

In reply to Lankyman:

> West Highland Way

Second this! It was my first backpacking trip with my dad at 11 and it's where I got my love of mountains and all things wild! Seeing Glen Coe is in my top five memories of all time! Its such a varied trip you get all terrains and scenery. 

Go for it! 

Post edited at 19:13
 CantClimbTom 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Lostintrees:

Snowdonia, Assynt, if you tell us vaguely where you are based you might get a better suggestion 

montyjohn 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Lostintrees:

> He's a fit enough lad who's done some decent cycle tours before including 50 miles a day at 4.5 yo. 

What? Do you mean in tow? Or is it a joke that I don't get? It's a good day for a typical 4 or 5 year old to cycle 200m.

ExiledScot 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Lostintrees:

A week is long time when you're 10, I'd try one night first. Pick a spot by a lake, stream, or river to mess about in the evening. 

Tringa 04 Mar 2023
In reply to Lostintrees:

At less than 5 years old he could do a 50 miles bike ride in a day, really?

Agree about the length of the trip you are suggesting.

How about a few days - a night in a campsite, next night wild camping and then another night at a campsite. Without knowing where you are based and how you will travel its not possible to suggest anything useful.

Dave

Post edited at 13:51
In reply to Lostintrees:

> 50 miles a day at 4.5 yo

Get that boy to the special forces

biggianthead 05 Mar 2023
In reply to Lostintrees:

When my children were 7, 9 and 11, we walked around the Lakes in a week at Easter.  My 9 year old daughter planned the route.

The game was to pick up a stone at Bassenthwaite  and chuck it  in Derwent.  Then pickup a stone in Derwent and chuck it in Thirlmere, etc.  We went over the passes and stopped in YHA. 

The advantage was that we had brilliant mountain days, but in the evening the kids could do what they wanted to do to chill. We had days of fantastic weather and days of pouring rain/gales. If we had camped we would have baled out half way round. We all got home fit as "butcher's dogs"; and 25 years later it is still a strong family memory.

If your lad wants to take his technology with him let him (as long as he carries it)

Post edited at 10:37
 J72 05 Mar 2023
In reply to Lostintrees:

Most important thing is to keep it less ambitious so he enjoys it, or he’ll never want to get out again.

I’d start with one night, somewhere with easy escape if needed and go when conditions are really good.  Always worth throwing in something that’ll give them something to be proud of (a hill/summit) and have everyone make a fuss of their achievement when they return.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...