UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Ben Cruachan - the Classic Circuit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Monday afternoon on Drochaid Ghlas - it sure beats the officeStanding sentinel over Lochs Etive and Awe, Ben Cruachan is arguably the greatest mountain in the Southern Highlands. An extensive granite massif of several sharp peaks, its characteristic sawtoothed profile is recognisable from afar. Cruachan's many ridges all deserve attention, while the sheer number of spurs and corries allow a wide choice of routes. While there’s a lot to be said for the dramatic northern side above lonely Glen Noe, its inaccessibility deters most. Walkers generally attack Ben Cruachan from the more convenient south, and a majority follow the very same route. This may lack originality, but on Ben Cruachan it’s worth going with the flow, because the mountain’s most popular round also happens to be its best. The circuit of the main peaks enclosing the Cruachan Reservoir is a Scottish ridge walking classic.

7.83 miles, 12.60 km, 1,362m ascent, 6 – 7 hours. Oban

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1226
 IanMcC 04 Mar 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

The SMC guidebooks always used to include Ben Cruachan in the Central Highlands. Wherever it is, it's a great hill range.

In reply to IanMcC:

I've always thought of the 'southern highlands' as everything south of Glen Coe/Etive/Rannoch Moor. To me 'central' means Alder/Dalwhinnie/Meagaidh sort of area, maybe down Schiehallion way too

I guess Cruachan could also be considered to be in the West Highlands? 

Pretty arbitrary really. As you say, great hill...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...