UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Ben Macdui and the Cairngorm Plateau

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The classic way to climb Scotland's second highest mountain, this long but relatively un-taxing route provides a huge hit of scenery for the leg work investment, with a great variety of craggy corries and sprawling plateau that between them define the character of the Cairngorms. Among the snow patches and gurgling ptarmigan of these high table-lands, you feel as close to the arctic as it's possible to get in Scotland. On a wild winter day this is a serious place to venture, while in the mist your thoughts might turn to the ghostly Big Grey Man said to haunt these heights. Save it for good weather, and savour the surroundings.

It's a route open to variation. Snow conditions permitting, mountaineers might ascend to the plateau via a winter gully in Coire an t-Sneachda (0.5 Gully at the west side of the coire may be a good rope-free option), while the Fiacaill Ridge is a popular scramble in any season. The route described here is more walker-friendly, but does still include a path-free leg across the plateau to boost the scenic impact and the challenge. In poor visibility it'd be better to stick to the clear paths.

16 km, 880m ascent, 6 – 8 hours

Read more

Harry Jarvis 17 Mar 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I far prefer a route from the south. From Linn of Dee along Glen Lui to the Luibeg Burn, a steep climb up Carn a' Mhaim and a pleasant high-level horseshoe to Ben Macdui, Creagan a' Choire Etchachan and Derry Cairngorm, and back down into Glen Derry or Glen Lui. Bike into Derry Lodge is an option. 

I'm afraid the mess that is the ski centre and associated infrastructure is not what I want from a pleasant day out. 

In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Thanks, we'll do that another time Harry. There's more than one way to skin a cat

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=88

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...