UKC

best value gps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d conacher 20 Nov 2012
Hi there,
looking to by a gps,something simple to use and goodvalue with buttons that can be used with gloves if possible
thanks in advance
dougie
 Little Brew 20 Nov 2012
In reply to d conacher: there is one coming up today on the Amazon Black Friday week deals.

Few of my Geocaching friends use it and rate it highly.
 DancingOnRock 20 Nov 2012
In reply to d conacher: Can't go wrong with the basic eTrex. Depends what features you want though as to whether you want a better model.
 Foolow Mike 20 Nov 2012
In reply to DancingOnRock:
Depends what you want to use it for but I'd also go for the basic Etrex (10). There's Review of a few here:
http://peaknavigationcourses.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Which%20GPS%3F

mike
 kestrelspl 20 Nov 2012
In reply to d conacher: Another vote for the etrex, it will only give you a grid reference rather than maps, but it does the job of emergency backup navigation device/track logger well.
marmot hunter 20 Nov 2012
In reply to kestreslspl:
I've got an etrex 20 I don't use as I have a team-standard Satmap. It has some Alps mapping loaded. Only used about 6 times, got it in March.
Would do a deal for £150 posted if you're interested.
Mapping can be bought and downloaded from Garmin as required.
I actually prefer it to Satmap but have been told I don't need two units...
 Carolyn 20 Nov 2012
In reply to d conacher:

The basic ETrex are also dead cheap second hand on eBay - I know because I'm selling one for a relative.....

Personally, I very rarely used one that only gave coordinates - it lived in my bag through many a Scottish whiteout, sometimes brought out at lunchtime to check it agreed with where I reckoned we were. Map and compass were still the main way to navigate. Very much an emergency tool. Whereas the newer ones with electronic OS mapping - fabulous! I'll happily use that as my primary navigation tool on the hill, with map/compass as the back up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...