UKC

Bull in feild (field)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 28 Jan 2023

Saw this when out walking today

Photo: https://imgur.com/CZnIXtY

Had to chuckle.  Either at the typo or the humour.  And on top of that, there are no rights of way or open access in that field, so no real reason for anyone other than the farmer/landowner/tenant to go in there.

Approx Location: http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=380903&Y=468557&A=Y&Z=115

Post edited at 17:19
 Fat Bumbly2 28 Jan 2023
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

I once actually saw a bull in a field with won of those notises.

Siward 28 Jan 2023
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

There's a lovely route that I used to ride which includes a cow field with a cattle grid at each entrance /exit. Usually fine but a few years ago I encountered a huge brown bull who was standing right in the middle of the single track lane.

I think, I'll cycle around him on the grass, which looked eminently doable. A nice wide berth. Trying to keep cool because the beast was looking at me and was too close for comfort. So I start on the grass, almost immediately hit what were sun baked ruts of hard mud hidden underneath and toppled over hurting my leg. Huge egg sized swelling on my shin which I thought I'd broken. 

The bull was still eyeing me suspiciously and the adrenaline took hold and I hastily got back in the saddle and escaped. It remains the only time that I sheepishly called my wife to come and pick me up in the car.

Bull no doubt thinking who's this idiot... 

ams 29 Jan 2023

seen in field in Ireland - "do not enter wicked horse"

Diddy 30 Jan 2023
In reply to ams:

Once saw a homemade sign saying; You might at best run a fifteen mph, the Bull does twenty mph.

Seriously, good advice is to avoid eye contact with animals; that is where they pick up threat signals and decide appropriate action.

Lankyman 30 Jan 2023

Most of the bulls I've encountered have been pretty docile, just happy to give me the stare as I pass by. Bullocks can be 'lively' in a generally good-natured, frisky kind of way befitting of their adolescent status. Cows with calves - now they can be pretty alarming. Yesterday, I just happened to walk along the only footpath where (a few years ago) I've had truly serious doubts about making it to the far side of the field. The ladies definitely wanted my blood! I'm not sure, but yesterday some of those ladies were happily munching their fodder as we walked past their barn, gazing quite unconcernedly at us.

Toerag 30 Jan 2023

We have this one. The bull is massive!

BuzyG 30 Jan 2023

Met a few Bulls over the years.  They get my respect and distance once I realise there is nothing between us.  Once on Bodmin moor, in thick fog I got myself into the centre of a herd of Cows, only to notice the one about 6 feet from me was a Bull, complete with ring through his nose.  I actually smiled pathetically and said good morning Mr Bull, before moving off into the fog. He clearly had other things on his mind, than conversing with some scrappy little 6ft 4" human.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...