UKC

Cairngorm conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 29 Oct 2018

Was anyone on top of the Cairngorms at the weekend? Is there much snow underfoot? Thanks.

inboard 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

Not Cairngorms but staying in Laggan and walking on Ardverikie/ Glenroy mountains over weekend. Much whiteness above c500-600m. A fair amount of drifting took place (with winds from Nish then Eish) so patches up to 50-60cm deep on lee slopes but also lots of scoured areas which we’re just cosmetically white with rocks poking through. View to Feshie/Cairngorms from the house suggested broadly similar conditions (albeit possibly more snow). Not sure what happened after 1600 yesterday (Sunday) though.

OP Phil1919 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Ah yes, helpful that! I know which boots to take now........and an axe!

OMR 29 Oct 2018
OP Phil1919 29 Oct 2018
In reply to OMR:

Great. A good dose of reality. I'll leave my shorts behind and put in my balaclava.

n-stacey 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

Should that not be a b*llocksclava??

EuanM 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

I ran up the goat track and across Cairngorm on Sunday. 

The coires look very wintery, I was close to turning back on the goat track (no axe) but managed to kick steps. The ground wasn't frozen. At least 3 teams out climbing..

The snow is deep in the drifts but only ankle height elsewhere 

alibrightman 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

I waded over to Ben Macdui from Coire Cas on Sunday, wishing I had my skis. It was knee-deep in places, particularly on all southerly aspects above 1000m or so. We didn't use crampons. There's some freeze-thaw in the forecast which could change things, depending on when you're going.

Cheers

Al

OP Phil1919 30 Oct 2018
In reply to alibrightman:

Going up today. Thanks for that. So you've cleared a path to Ben Macdui......perfect : )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...