UKC

Campervan in Langdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 07 Oct 2020

I'm driving up to the Langdales in late November, probably arriving early evening in the 25 Nov. I'll be leaving my van for two days as I go for a saunter over the hills (and far away), returning teatime on the 27th to set off to Scotland for a few days.

Is the NT campsite the best option at £22 - I like the idea of knowing it's safe as well as the  option of showering before heading North.

spenser 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Tony the Blade:

If you're an NT member you can park at the sticklebarn or the ODG for free, I think the ODG has its own private car park, can't remember if that is available for none customers to park in or not.

Dark-Cloud 08 Oct 2020
In reply to spenser:

It is as long as they have room, can stay there overnight for a few quid too.

J1234 08 Oct 2020

You could possibly leave at Baysbrown campsite and support a local business. £10 a night.

Ridge 08 Oct 2020

If it's bright yellow and doesn't have a bog just leave it at the side of the road...

(Sorry, couldn't let it lie)

In reply to J1234:

I'm happy to support local business, however their website says they close for the winter on 31st October. 

In reply to Ridge:

I'm sorry, I have no idea what this is a reference to. 

Lankyman 08 Oct 2020

> I'm sorry, I have no idea what this is a reference to. 

It's referring to a recent UKC article in which a pair of camper van social media stars glorified their perfect van lifestyle by parking up in remote, quiet and unknown laybys such as Elterwater Common and Wast Water and shitting at least 2 metres away from a water source. I think it generated enough mouth foam to fill an Olympic swimming pool.

In reply to Lankyman:

Aha, I missed that article. Thank you

GrahamD 08 Oct 2020

I don't know but I'd be surprised if the NT one allowed overnight parking.  May be worth a punt phoning the ODG.

65 08 Oct 2020

I'd second Bays Brown as a good campsite and locally owned business.

If you are planning on visiting Scotland, check the latest Covid guidance first.

Andy Johnson 08 Oct 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> I don't know but I'd be surprised if the NT one allowed overnight parking.  May be worth a punt phoning the ODG.

My club had a weekend meet at the Raven Crag hut in January, and as an NT member I parked in the NT car park. From memory I'm almost certain that overnight parking is not allowed even for NT members, but I had no problems (membership card left on dashboard, sticker in window) so it may be tolerated in quieter times. I have a smallish hatchback, not a camper van, though.

The ODG car park is fairly small and they may not be keen on a camper. Personally I'd use the NT campsite for security (they have a barrier) and use of the showers.

Post edited at 10:26
 Bulls Crack 08 Oct 2020

Announcements expected on Monday might make a difference to overnight plans depending on where you live?

Dark-Cloud 08 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Johnson:.

> The ODG car park is fairly small and they may not be keen on a camper. Personally I'd use the NT campsite for security (they have a barrier) and use of the showers.

They are normally fine with it, left ours there before as have friends.

J1234 08 Oct 2020

Apologies, I did not read your OP properly, you did actually say NT campsite, I wrongly assumed you meant NT car park, which is where I normally stop. My comment re Baysbrown was not a criticism of you using the NT as opposed to local/private enterprise.
If the NT campsite is only £11 a night, thats an excellent choice.

Lesson to be learnt here, read twice, post once.

Post edited at 13:04
 Tobes 08 Oct 2020

> Aha, I missed that article. Thank you

You didn’t miss much ; ) 

In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Announcements expected on Monday might make a difference to overnight plans depending on where you live?

In reply to 65:

> If you are planning on visiting Scotland, check the latest Covid guidance first.

I know - best laid plans and all that  

Exile 08 Oct 2020

The NT campsite has a small overall carpark on the left before you get to the barrier. Give them a ring, I suspect you could leave your van there for a reduced fee having stayed on the site for your first night?

In reply to Exile:

Thanks for the advice, however I think I'll book on-line. It's only £22 for both nights which I am willing to pay. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...