UKC

Carneddau Tunnel/Excavation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 07 Oct 2018

I took a walk today up towards Braich Ty Du and Carrnedd Dafydd starting from Ogwen Bank.

At approximately SH 630 654 I noticed what appeared to be the entrance to a tunnel. Going uphill it was just to the left of the path and the entrance was about 3 to 4 feet in height. there was little if any undergrowth and what appeared to be a decent path entering it. Not having a torch I could not see inside. There is no indication of it on the OS map.

Has anyone else seen it or does anyone know anything about it?

Fruitbat 07 Oct 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

Just looked at the GR on the 1:25k map and it's the one I thought it would be as soon as I read your post - down to the left, not long before you reach the gate. Ive always assumed it's either the remains of a trial pit, of which there are loads around those parts, especially in the Moel Faban - Drosgl - Moel Wynion area, or it's a quarry/mine entrance. 

Post edited at 19:17
Removed User 07 Oct 2018
In reply to Fruitbat:

> Just looked at the GR on the 1:25k map and it's the one I thought it would be as soon as I read your post - down to the left, not long before you reach the gate.

That's it! I always thought trial levels/pits  etc are usually indicated on the OS maps

Dave the Rave 07 Oct 2018

It’s the entrance to the old Lyles Treacle mine. I once found one of the old tins there a few years back, rusted, but the emblem still visible. 

Removed User 07 Oct 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

In that case it must go all the way to Cwm Eigiau. I found one there!

Fruitbat 07 Oct 2018

Maybe this was not visible to the mapmakers due to the tree cover? There's nothing at all indicated on the 1:25k map.

I can't remember if there is any spoil or remains of workings on the other side of the path and down the slope in line with the hole.

Fruitbat 07 Oct 2018

> In that case it must go all the way to Cwm Eigiau. I found one there!

Ha! We were in Cwm Eigiau today - plenty of industrial history to see there. No treacle tins, though...

Dave the Rave 07 Oct 2018
In reply to Fruitbat:

> Ha! We were in Cwm Eigiau today - plenty of industrial history to see there. No treacle tins, though...

They are as elusive as sloes but once you find one!

> There is no indication of it on the OS map.

Have you tried looking at the map on Midsummer's Eve under a Crescent Moon?

toad 07 Oct 2018
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Ooh. Does that mean Smaug is going to level Bethesda??

I was talking to a mine explorer about this last week. Has it still got the old stile dumped in it? 

Mal Grey 07 Oct 2018

He already has...

profitofdoom 08 Oct 2018

> It’s the entrance to the old Lyles Treacle mine.

Sorry but no - the tin was from a picnic - treacle is pumped up into North Sea oil rigs then to Aberdeen & treacle tankers

Removed User 08 Oct 2018
In reply to Fruitbat:

> Maybe this was not visible to the mapmakers due to the tree cover? There's nothing at all indicated on the 1:25k map.

> I can't remember if there is any spoil or remains of workings on the other side of the path and down the slope in line with the hole.

Cant say I was aware of any

Fruitbat 08 Oct 2018
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Hi Mike, it's neither of those: the first is fairly close to the road, the second is on the other side of the hill.

I've just had a walk up there this morning and am fairly certain that it's a trial pit, although I'm not sure what for. Slate is the obvious thought but it could be minerals like those on Gyrn Wigau. It's only about 4m long, fairly level floor and sloping roof, all very similar to the other pits around. 

RRD: there was no sign of a stile but I'd like to think that there was a bit of style whilst I was in there...

Mike Peacock 08 Oct 2018
In reply to Fruitbat:

I'm surprised it isn't on Adit Now - that's normally quite thorough. There are iron and arsenic mines not far away, but like you say, slate is presumably the most likely.

Toerag 09 Oct 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Sorry but no - the tin was from a picnic - treacle is pumped up into North Sea oil rigs then to Aberdeen & treacle tankers

Surely you mean treacle rigs?

Bob Kemp 09 Oct 2018

Peripheral, but the treacle chat reminded me of Paul Farley's poem about it...

youtube.com/watch?v=xlUkMinegsg&

profitofdoom 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Toerag:

> Surely you mean treacle rigs?

Exactly, slip of the tongue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...