UKC

Challenging Lake District walks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RuthW 20 May 2018

I was hoping that someone could recommend me a big (12hour ish) walk in the Lake District.   I have previously done the Scafell, Scafell pike, Great Gable, Kirk fell, Pillar round from Wasdale, and was looking for something of a similar length and difficulty with perhaps a little scrambling along the way.  Any ideas?

Cheers

DaveHK 20 May 2018
In reply to RuthW:

> I was hoping that someone could recommend me a big (12hour ish) walk in the Lake District.   

Half a Bob Graham?

Jim Nevill 20 May 2018
In reply to RuthW:

the complete Ennerdale Horseshoe, starting and ending at Ennerdale Bridge?

Would take me 12 hours!

In reply to RuthW:

You could get a fair bit of scrambling into the Langdale skyline: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/destinations/the_big_routes_langdale...

Another great one is the Patterdale Parish boundary (The Dodds, Helvellyn, Fairfield, Kirkstone Pass, High Street, Place Fell... and a lot of other fells in between)

Ratfeeder 20 May 2018
In reply to RuthW:

1. As mentioned above, Ennerdale Horseshoe.

2. Newlands/Buttermere Triangle: Hawse End to Honister Hause via Catbells Maiden Moor, High Spy, Dale Head; Honister to Buttermere via Drum Hause, Haystacks, High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike; Buttermere to Hawse End via Whiteless Pike, Wandope, Eel Crag, Sail, Scar Crags, Causey Pike. 36km, 2880m ascent.

3. Northern Fells Round: Starting and finishing at Mosedale. Bowscale Fell, Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Mungrisedale Common, Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw LM & Skiddaw, Bakestall, Great Calva, Knot, High Pike, Carrock Fell. (Can't remember exact distance & ascent.)

4. Ullswater Watershed. 60km, 3000m ascent (took me more than 12 hours!).

Wainers44 20 May 2018
In reply to RuthW:

A bit devious...

Start Stonethwaite. Direct path climb up Bessyboot and then on to Glaramara. Ridge to Allen Crags then drop to Sprinkling Tarn and up Custs Gully to Great End. 

Down to Esk Hause, Esk Pike, Ore Gap, Bowfell. Drop down beside Flat Crags to the Waterspout and the Climbers Traverse. Follow Traverse left and make the link across to Rossett Pass (easy). 

Finish along Martcrag Moor and as many of the Langdale Pike as your leggies can take, or head straight down Stake Pass and back down to the start.

Long day so don't hang about!

OP RuthW 20 May 2018
In reply to RuthW:

Great! Some excellent ideas!  Thanks folks....off to look at maps

Jon Stewart 20 May 2018
In reply to RuthW:

Here's a nice scrambly route around Patterdale/Brothers Water:

St Sunday Crag by Pinnacle Ridge - towards Fairfield, but drop down to scramble up Greenhow End onto Fairfield - ridge walking along to Red Screes and a steep descent to Kirkstone. Have some chips in the pub. 

Up the boring, long ridge to Cauldale Moor, over Stony Cove Pike, and if you have the energy, drop down to scramble up Blea Water Crag Gill (personally I would skip the ravine of certain death) onto High Street and an easy walk down to Patterdale.

alimckay 21 May 2018
In reply to RuthW:

How about the "Moasdale horseshoe"...

Start at Cockley Beck between Wrynose and Hardknot Pass, over Crinkle Crags, Bowfell, Esk pike, Great End, Scafell Pike to Scafell (Via Broad stand if feeling up to it or via Foxes tarn if not) then back to Cockley Beck.

I'm hoping to get this done one day this summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...