UKC

Clavijas de Cotatuero

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 29 Jan 2013
HI,Anybody been on the Clavijas de Cotatuero, in Ordesa National Park Pyrenees? Ill be walking there in october and justed wanted to know just how tricky they are. Ive seen the photos and youtubes on the internet but its hard to judge how long the actual stretch of pitons is and wether you need a safety harness.
All info is welcome and thanks in advance
Phil
 Vince 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed UserBradleywigginscyclingshorts:

It's not that tricky, even for the reach challenged like me. It's more the exposure than the technical aspect. When I was first there over 10 years ago, we had to back up the pitons with our climbing rope. On our subsequent return 7 years ago, the pitons (on the traverse) were equiped with steel wires similar to via ferrata.

Cheers
Vince

ebygomm 29 Jan 2013

it's fairly exposed. Whether you want a harness or not is really down to how comfortable you are with that. We met people at the start who were turning round as they weren't happy to do it without harnesses. We didn't feel they were essential

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebygomm/228616032/
Removed User 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Vince: Yes I seen the steel cable that you can use on the internet. I wonder what its like with a fairly heavy pack, also what distance it covers?
 ebygomm 29 Jan 2013

It's not very long, takes a few minutes. With a full pack on I'd have wanted some sort of backup
Removed User 29 Jan 2013
In reply to ebygomm: Thanks thats interesting, you can't really know how you will feel until you get there. So you wouldnt class it as a climb then? I'll have a look at the pics later, can't access flickr from work,bah!
thanks
 ebygomm 29 Jan 2013

No, wouldn't really call it a climb from a technical view. I was with a non-climber and they had no issues with it.
 ebygomm 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed UserBradleywigginscyclingshorts: it's really lovely up there BTW, well worth going. There are some photos of it in my UKC profile. I would say if you're doing it as part of a longer walking route I'd take a harness in case it's wet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...