UKC

Cuillin Conditions leading up to May Bank Holiday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Lates 23 Apr 2013
 drunken monkey 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Mike Lates: Thats a LOT more snow than I was expecting to see in Skye in April!
 Nathan Adam 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Mike Lates: And there was me thinking everything had been washed out last week ! Looking forward to some time on the ridge this weekend, maybe see you out and about !
OP Mike Lates 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Nath93: Better news for those after some snow free times today; Snow-field down into Coire a Bhasteir had softened to sugar consistency. Hopefully some tracks may get laid before it all goes solid again. Snowing on top but not setling yet. I'll put a couple more shots onto the Blog
 Joak 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:
Aye conditions caught me out a wee bit at the weekend Mike. Set of to help a female pal bag Sgurr a Mhadaidh and Sgurr a Ghreadaidh. Low cloud, with rain turning to snow at 600m, thick clag, strong winds. Cramponing up towards An Dorus, no rope, no gear, no way, we turned around and headed back down. Due to the low cloud obscuring the snow fields we carried axe and crampons as a "precaution" Haha! On the plus side the stormy conditions helped me and a mate fill a wee gap in our complex Cuillin jigsaw with a wee low level walk up Glen Sligachan and Harta Coire towards Lota Coire. What an awesome place!
OP Mike Lates 25 Apr 2013
In reply to Joak: Here's what you would have found- http://skyeguides.co.uk/sgurr-a-ghreadaidh-24th-april/
Awesome as you say!
 BnB 25 Apr 2013
In reply to Mike Lates: Damn. I had planned to visit home on Sleat this week but postponed owing to a forecast of wet and windy for the week. What an idiot!! Conditions look great fun.

Snow will have gone by my rearranged visit in 10 days I fear.
OP Mike Lates 28 Apr 2013
In reply to BnB: New blog http://skyeguides.co.uk/munros-update-gillean-mhadaidh-am-basteir-25-27apri...
up but didn't comment on conditions yet so here goes-
Old snow pack started to go off on Thursday but top 100m of An Dorus rock hard on Fri. Softening again Saturday. Fresh building up on the old snow but reasonably well bonded.
Fresh snow each day added interest to the ridges; quite good quantities actually made far more pleasant than expected with mostly good footings rather than squealing on rocks.
Overall you do need crampons for any of the narrower sections of Ridge for sure. Easier peaks & slopes may be okay just now but beware days following clear sky nights.
Full Traverse looking very improbable for a wee while yet...
 wilkie14c 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:
Hey Mike

Jaala and I are planning on coming up for 5 days at the end on May, camping at GB. Not climbing but will be out walking/scrambling. She wants to get the boat across and walk glen slighan so need some transport advice, will email you off forum. See you soon! <its your round BTW>

blanchie
OP Mike Lates 28 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: I guess I could open up the wallet for a wedding present
 Offwidth 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:

Superb info as ever.
 drsdave 02 May 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:

Mike Lates, as echoed thanks for bothering to inform us.

d
 Milesy 02 May 2013
Any ideas how things are looking now and with weekend forecast?

I have no idea what to pack yet lol B3s and G12s or B1s and G10s. Winter Softshells/Hardshells or summer trousers and a pair of waterproof!
OP Mike Lates 02 May 2013
In reply to Milesy: Fresh snow down to 150m today and quite a lot. Did Thearlaich on Tuesday from Bealach Mhiccoinnich (wasn't going anywhere near Collie's ledge or Kings Chimney!). We touched rock for about 20 steps the whole way & abbed into the Stone Shoot. The top 100m of most of these big slopes of old snow have still got some hardness and a bit worrying.
Clach Glas/Blaven was crampon free yesterday. I'll update the blog with recent pics some point this afternoon.

I've been in G10's but on B3 boots but G12's would be better. Carrying lots of clothes on approach but using them! Mixed routes on Thearlaich looked A1 yestersday choked with fresh ice!
 Nathan Adam 02 May 2013
In reply to Milesy: Bring "proper" waterproofs, its been pissing down since half 8 this morning, and like Mike say's, the routes are still in winter nick.

Been feeling a bit ill since easter so not been out for a while, hopefully this weekend.
 Milesy 02 May 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:

Thanks Mike. Is 150m a typo I take it?
 Milesy 02 May 2013
Thanks. I hate packing for fickle weather haha. I like it to be clearly winter or clearly summer
 BnB 02 May 2013
In reply to Milesy: I'm planning on coming up to Skye next week and everytime I look at Metcheck it's a whole new weather pattern they're predicting.

Guess it'll be the full kit bag: winter, summer and shoulder season gear.
 Milesy 02 May 2013
Stuff it. A pair of jeans and I am going to spend the weekend at the Talisker distillery lol
OP Mike Lates 02 May 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to Mike Lates)
>
> Thanks Mike. Is 150m a typo I take it?

Nope & it is bucketing!
OP Mike Lates 06 May 2013
In reply to Mike Lates: Wee update of thoughts on conditions leading up to next weekend 11/12th-
the current poor weather is needed to strip out the snow so good news for some but not for those here today;-(
i'm hopeful that crampons will be carried but unused by friday but cooler temperatures are still threatened from thursday. the thaw just now will be helpful but is unlikely to get rid of all the snow on banked out bypasses, particularly on the northern aspects (mainly pinnacle ridge, collie's ledge, ghreadaidh & thearlaich) .
the full traverse is likely to still be too serious & time consuming for the vast majority of aspirants.
the in pinn should be clear, the west ridge & descent slab approach mostly so too but not guaranteed. the slabby descent below the pinn down the an stac bypass is very banked out still & may be scary in descent in particular.
a bit of spring sun would make things fine in a couple of days so i'm not pessemistic- been a great winter but it's time to step aside!
OP Mike Lates 07 May 2013
In reply to Mike Lates: The clear-out of snow is better than I'd hoped. Collies Ledge is now passable, Thearlaich OK by the Lagan side bypass, Coire a' Ghreadaidh round far less worrying. Only Pinnacle Ridge remains a serious snowy outing but now exciting rather than suicidal
 skippyridgway 13 May 2013
In reply to Mike Lates: Hi guys - any updates on the ridge as current?
 Nathan Adam 13 May 2013
In reply to skippyridgway: Fresh snow last night, could see from the house this morning. Freezing level is pretty low as well, winter looks like its hanging on a bit yet.
OP Mike Lates 14 May 2013
In reply to skippyridgway: Ridges just got smattering of hail & snow. Old patches to worry about are still An Dorus (Lou was glad of crampons on Sunday), Bealach a Bhasteir approach (update tonight) and a tiny section just below the Pinn on An Stac bypass.
Classics-
Pinnacle Ridge of Gillean will still be thought provoking & cramps wise.
Dubh Ridge is fine. Crossing bealach na Banachdaich to descend into Coruisk (for Dubhs) isn't a good idea yet without cramps.
CG Blaven fine.
Traverse now pretty much "normal" and we're going for our first ones of the season Fri/Sat.

Plenty to go for.
 Pero 14 May 2013
In reply to Mike Lates: It's a pity it's not like this every year. The only thing in the UK better than the Cuillin Ridge is the Cuillin Ridge under snow and ice!
 ColdAndWet 17 May 2013
Hi All

Can anyone provide an update on the ridge conditions? Essentially has all the snow gone such that if the weather is dry will the ridge be in summer conditions this coming week?

Cheers

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...