UKC

Dartmoor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tonybiebuyck 20 Feb 2020

I once walked from Lydford to Postbridge, sleeping overnight, about 12 miles I recall. It was so featureless we walked in a compass bearing the whole way. Hard work on soggy ground with no escape or confirmation of where we were. 

Lankyman 20 Feb 2020
In reply to tonybiebuyck:

> It was so featureless we walked in a compass bearing the whole way. Hard work on soggy ground with no escape or confirmation of where we were. 

Were you wearing blinkers? I know nothing about Dartmoor but I've just looked at online OS maps of the likely route you'd have been on and there are loads of landmarks like streams, settlements and outcrops shown. What about Hare Tor https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/135728 How could you miss that feature?

TMM 20 Feb 2020

https://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/lych_way.htm

You were following the Lych Way!

Loads of navigational points to follow. I'll admit there are some fairly bleak sections but a 1:25,000 map gives you loads to aim at.

russellcampbell 20 Feb 2020

I've always fancied walking around the various tors on Dartmoor but definitely not in the mist.

bouldery bits 20 Feb 2020

> I once walked from Lydford to Postbridge, sleeping overnight, about 12 miles I recall. It was so featureless we walked in a compass bearing the whole way. Hard work on soggy ground with no escape or confirmation of where we were. 

Was it dark?

Wainers44 20 Feb 2020

Blimey you thought that was featureless? That area is a theme park compared with the high moor!

The piece around Cut Hill, Hangingstone, south to Statts and out towards Rough Tor is beautifully plain. Night nav in those parts is more like sensory deprivation therapy than walking!!!

Iain Thow 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

One of the weird things about Dartmoor navigation (in daylight obviously) is that when you first see a particular tor it often seems fairly close, but then it doesn't seem to get any closer for ages. Happens a lot, maybe something to do with them being the only landmarks, with bugger all in between to give them scale?

Mark Kemball 21 Feb 2020

A great place to practice night nav, if you can navigate well on Dartmoor, you're probably OK anywhere. I once tried this on Cosdon Beacon in a snowstorm, trying to pace on bearings. After about 45minutes I realised that I couldn't work out to the nearest half mile where I was!

Wainers44 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Iain Thow:

> One of the weird things about Dartmoor navigation (in daylight obviously) is that when you first see a particular tor it often seems fairly close, but then it doesn't seem to get any closer for ages. Happens a lot, maybe something to do with them being the only landmarks, with bugger all in between to give them scale?

Very true!

We are on the South Moor tomorrow and apart from the volcano there are even fewer tors to give you a reference.  Nav in these areas  in poor viz by map only, no compass, keeps it all nice and interesting!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...