UKC

Deer sleeping in the day / not moving.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Donotello 08 Sep 2020

Just on the dog walk and came across a deer, just curled up like it was asleep on the side of the track. 

It’s breathing and he opened his eyes when I approached, didn’t look injured and was in what looks like a sleeping position, but it didn’t move any more than that. 

Can anyone summise what may be up with him? 

tehmarks 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Didn't look like this guy by any chance, did he?

https://images.app.goo.gl/yJY8c5yz84ybbaBY6

Diddy 08 Sep 2020

What size was it ,fawns are left and the mother comes back to feed;fawns should not be moved.

If full grown it is not normal; but again unless you want a lot of hassle taking to a vet etc it is best left alone; maybe give it some water.

summo 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

It's pretty normal, they'll be active at dawn and dusk, but during the middle part of the day they'll usually lie up and rest. At night they will eat and move as they are more vulnerable to predators, or they'll set in thdmiddle of an open area where they cant be crept up on easily. 

I think it just made a poor choice of location to settle. 

OP Donotello 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Diddy:

It’s got full on horns and everything. Looks like it’s super tired and maybe thinks if it doesn’t move I won’t see it? Although I went pretty close.

Heres a pic hopefully it works https://ibb.co/X5JZ9Yg

Dave the Rave 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

No idea sorry.

ROFFER 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

It's an adult Roe buck and their mating season has recently finished. It could just be knackered after spending all its time chasing the ladies and not eating or resting properly.

If it doesn't appear to be suffering, leave it alone and let nature take its course, whatever that may be.

In reply to Donotello:

It does look a bit thin :/ Not really much you can do apart from call the RSPCA if it's still there tomorrow 

elliot.baker 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

At Wollaton hall in Nottingham we saw a massive stag in a similar state just lying passively looking almost asleep but dozing with its eyes open and not moving at all. 

We asked the staff about it and apparently it’s because it was mating season and they’re up all night fighting (can’t remember the proper name) and so they are absolutely knackered during the day (if they survive the night) so just relax being still all day. 

Frank R. 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Any nearby Brassica (Rapeseed) fields? It is usually poisonous to the deer.

loose overhang 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Where is it?  I'm hunting deer next month, mule and whitetails.  Tell it to "sit!"

mick taylor 10 Sep 2020
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I also think it looks a bit thin, and I watch loads of roe deer (8 this morning).  Fozzy who posts on here is an expert on deer (think he stalks them), but his view may be the most informed.

The roe bucks I've seen recently look in tip top condition.

Post edited at 16:21
In reply to Donotello:

I don't think it's unusual for the rut to take so much out of an alpha stag that it dies afterwards, especially if it's at the end of its reign. Non-stop shagging doesn't seem a bad way to go. Not so sure about the roaring and fighting required to fend off the younger stags...

Fairly sure I've seen this reported in nature programmes. 

In reply to loose overhang:

Maybe go soloing instead.

About 3 grades above your limit 

loose overhang 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Justsomeclimber:

Hey Justsome, thanks for your advice, I might try that...

But should I do sport or trad climbing?

Fozzy 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

It’s a roe buck (with rather a good head on him!) couched up, but getting that close without him bolting is a bit odd. It may be that he’s still rutting & is knackered, but most of that has finished now. 

Are there any brassicas growing nearby? It could be ‘rapeseed blindness’, which is brought on by excessive sulphur consumption from browsing brassicas. 

It’d be worth mentioning it to the farmer, if you can find them, so they can let whoever has the stalking know to keep an eye out in case he is in trouble & needs dealing with. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...