UKC

descending Heather Terrace

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 12 Feb 2013
What is it like as a route down from Tryfan?
aultguish 12 Feb 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
It's an easy enough walk, over the usual boulders etc. Can't recall doing it in winter tho, so sorry if that's what you are looking for.
In reply to An Triubhas: I find it much easier to decend to bwlch tryfan and drop down either side (depending where your car is) to the footpath in the valley.
OP AdCo82 12 Feb 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

just never been on it and fancied something a little different than the usual descent routes that I've done many times.

Dom Whillans 12 Feb 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: i seem to remember dropping down a couple of gullies from the summit back to heather terrace to do more routes. they were both ok (disclaimer - it might not actually be that easy. i did it in summer. i was climbing well that day). heather terrace back down to ogwen is an ok walk, too
In reply to An Triubhas: Navigationally it's more straightforward to decend via Bochlywd or down to Gwern Gof Uchaf via the valley IMO
 richparry 12 Feb 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

You can also descend the west face easily.
OP AdCo82 13 Feb 2013
In reply to richparry:

which is the most enjoyable?
In reply to An Triubhas:

The descent from the lower end of the Heather Terrace is a short, simple open gully. If you've parked at Gwern y Gof Uchaf, or whatever it's called, that's the way to go. If you descend the west side you'll have a much longer trek back.
 wilkie14c 13 Feb 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Depending on the sure footedness of your party you can decend the east face just below adam and eve and pick up a faint path that leads you back to the NE ridge, I've always found this way to be the quickest means of getting off mount ogwen. If you still have plenty in the tank though, carry on through the south col and do bristley ridge and turn right to take in the cantilever stone & the rocky peak of glyder fach and come down via the devils kitchen, nice day of scrambling and mountain walking that is. In direct answer though HT is pretty straight forward and when it joins the bottom half of the NE ridge you can go directly down to the the milestone car park or turn right on a path that takes you to little tryfan and the camp site.
I was a lot leaner and fitter a couple of years back and we did the adam and eve to the chippy in Bethesda in one hour dead! Summer though, don't be trying to beat that in present conditions! Enjoy, I always enjoy a day on Tryfan
 Simon Caldwell 13 Feb 2013
In reply to richparry:
> You can also descend the west face easily.

providing you miss the crags. Not a route for poor conditions IMO.
 richparry 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to richparry)
> [...]
>
> providing you miss the crags. Not a route for poor conditions IMO.

They are pretty easy to miss and It's a very fast descent, especially in winter.

Mike Peacock 13 Feb 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Do you mean as a route off the mountain from the base of the South Ridge/Bwlch Tryfan?

If so it's an easy enough walk with good views of the East Face and of Cwm Tryfan. Towards the end you either drop down a scree run to Cwm Tryfan, or continue a bit further to a path that drops down the same direction through a small canyon/gash in a little crag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...