UKC

Don't Do Weekends!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Runtothehills 12 Jan 2018

So for the last 10 years I haven't been to the Mountains or been climbing at the weekends, (I work 2 weekends and look after my disabled daughter on the other 2). I was wondering if any one avoids weekends through choice, as we all know more and more people are enjoyng the hills, how busy are they getting, are people queuing for routes?

Downside to weekday trips is partners, but they are quiet, which is why I started going to them in the first place.

Just wanted to here people's experience, and  potential partners.

Stu.

llechwedd 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Runtothehills:

By choice, I avoid the hills at weekends. If I am out, weekends or holidays, it's usually somewhere quiet and  lower level, or late afternoon / evening, when most people are off the hills anyway.

I expect that the option of being out late will diminish as I age, and take longer to cover the distance making routes undo-able. I'm quite lazy by nature, so apart from a handful of head torch walk-offs, I'm usually down before it's pitch black.

A few years back, I did a 4 month walk, without a vehicle, and often didn't know what day it was. Sometimes, during it, the number of people about on the hills, would suggest what day it might be. But as most of the walk route was new to me, the people seen on it were slightly less intrusive than the same number would have  been back home, where I know the routes and conditions intimately. 
The other thing which struck me was that the feeling of being crowded during it was generally not on the hills themselves, but at ( or near) the valley floors: car parks, and hostels. Even if there weren't that many people in a car park, the number of vehicles there gave off a sense of crowding, particularly where litter and inconsiderate parking were evident.

redsonja 13 Jan 2018

I also try to avoid hills at weekends. I usually have the sort of jobs which mean I work weekends, and go out two days during the week when it's quieter. If I can't get anyone to climb with then I just go for a good long walk or scramble instead.

Scott Anderson 13 Jan 2018

I have the sort of business where I work more at the weekends in the form of admin and calls, and then often find myself quiet during the week (with the right planning very quiet).

I’m out walking a lot, and the difference in the volume of cars at say somewhere like Snake summit at 09:30 on a Wednesday and the same time on a sunny Saturday can be astounding.  

Im always looking for folk free during the week as well, as the majority work a Monday - Friday pattern. 

Flinticus 13 Jan 2018

I do weekends but in winter go for early starts or unpopular hills. Rarely see or meet anyone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...