UKC

Drones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MikeMarcus 09 Apr 2018

If you're out flying a drone at say, 10:30 on a Sunday morning on a busy mountain route or walking destination, please be assured that everyone else around you is wishing you'd f*ck off.

Thanks for understanding 

Dark-Cloud 09 Apr 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/drones/how-to/a16756/how-to-shoot-d... *

* Probably very illegal !

Post edited at 12:14
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Thankfully banned in the Dartmoor National Park

DerwentDiluted 09 Apr 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Shame these aren't available youtube.com/watch?v=O164pnjpRz0&

MikeMarcus 09 Apr 2018

Here is a really interesting documentary about a similar topic: having the right to conduct whatever activity you like in a national park (that's their purpose), versus annoying everyone else.

youtube.com/watch?v=6rtD5F5TKgk&

Verdict: just because you can be a dick, doesn't mean you should be a dick.

d_b 09 Apr 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Having flown a drone around crags for the purposes of making 3D crag models I found that approaching people, explaining what I planned to do, asking if they minded and respecting their wishes if they said "yes" worked wonders.

Post edited at 20:15
MikeMarcus 09 Apr 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Having flown a drone around crags for the purposes of making 3D crag models I found that approaching people, explaining what I planned to do, asking if they minded and respecting their wishes if they said "yes" worked wonders.

Another approach which I'm sure most drone pilots use is to fly during quiet times. Weekday mornings and the like.

I find it really useful to see the footage on youtube. Particularly when I'm trying to "inspire" my walking buddy - ahem Laura, Aonach Eagach. But not at the expense of ruining the vibe.

d_b 09 Apr 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

For popular crags you have to do both.

Apparently some drone manufacturers are starting to get the message and are making an effort to make them quieter.  This is welcome but quieter is not silent and there is still the whole "I am pointing a camera at you while you try to concentrate on not dying!" angle which some people prefer to sweep under the rug but I think is just rude.

MikeMarcus 09 Apr 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

> For popular crags you have to do both.

> Apparently some drone manufacturers are starting to get the message and are making an effort to make them quieter.  This is welcome but quieter is not silent and there is still the whole "I am pointing a camera at you while you try to concentrate on not dying!" angle which some people prefer to sweep under the rug but I think is just rude.

Noisy or not, filming me or not, I go outside to get away from the inevitable march of humanity toward being unreflective consumerist zombies. The last thing I want buzzing (silently) at my shoulder is the latest craze in expensive shit we don't need. 

DoctorYoghourt 10 Apr 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Damn right, comrade.  Drones, walking poles, mobile phones, the monetisation of our hills, 'Private' signs on stolen goods...let's make a revolution.  Oh.  We can't.  Crossbows are legal.  Let's shoot down drones with crossbow bolts.  If we miss the drone we may kill a sheep.

I was up on Heron Pike yesterday and I was sickened by the bones of dead abandoned sheep.  What's that about?  I was equally sickened by the number of consumers about.  In four hours I saw thirty-seven goretex consumers and avoided having to wave 'Hello' at all of them.

They wandered lonely as a cloud

That hangs around the lower hills

And all at once they were devoured

By shopping outlet overspills.

Post edited at 02:18
 wercat 10 Apr 2018
In reply to DoctorYoghourt:

Tatty old ventile worn out till it's like a string vest is the way ahead

mighty_mouse 11 Apr 2018
In reply to DoctorYoghourt:

Would love to have seen this post before it was edited. 

In reply to MikeMarcus:

> The last thing I want buzzing (silently) at my shoulder is the latest craze in expensive shit we don't need. 

Like harnesses, ropes, gear, QDs, etc, etc?

ps. I can't stand buzzing drones.

Post edited at 21:00
sarachen 12 Apr 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

We saw a hovering drone looking into our apartment window. Wish there was a good way to disable that one

Billhook 12 Apr 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

The electronic warfare approach would also work, but it would be against our laws on the use of radio (Jamming is prohibited).  

Buying a radio control unit and modifying  the transmitter so it 'scans' slowly across the assigned frequency bands for drones whilst it transmits, would probably disable it long enough for it to go out of control before the operator of the drone regained control.  Alternatively seek out the drone operators signal (there's not going to be many such signals in remote countryside), once you've identified the frequency - start transmitting.  And if you have  a stronger signal you'd even be able to take control of the thing and..........etc., 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...