UKC

Eloping on a munro summit, recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Josoannoying 15 Oct 2021

Hello. We are a pair of experienced walkers and fell runners but we aren't familiar with most of Scotland's mountains. We are based in Yorkshire. We want a legal outdoor wedding and only Scotland is enlightened enough to allow them! It seems we are spoiled for beautiful places to get married. We have decided we want to get married on the summit of a munro if the weather is kind. We have walked up Ben Lomond and Lochnagar and found those pretty straight forward but we wanted to explore other options. There will be no wedding dress and tux, just hiking gear! 

Ben Nevis is top of our list simply because it is the biggest and is a straight forward walk, but with all the crowds it might not be the most private spot and feels like a bit of a cliche, it does however have the halfway lochan which is an attractive compromise if the weather is bad at the top. Otherwise we would prefer something on a par with Snowdon in terms of challenge as I have been up that 8 times and I used to the sort of terrain there. I don't mind a small amount of scrambling so long as i'm not staring down into an abyss or likely to be risking more than a broken ankle if I put a foot wrong in the rain. I'm not completely terrified but I'm keen on straight drops beside me so I would probably enjoy the experience more if there weren't any really really high ones. I don't mind climbing steep scree slopes but I can get a bit of vertigo if the ground just falls away right next to where I am walking. I'm thinking about the summit of Ben Nevis here too, how close do you get to precipices at the top on the main path, can you generally keep a big distance?

The summit needs to be wide enough for a celebrant, us and a few witnesses comfortably, also any other walkers that are about need to be able to enjoy the views without our group being an obstruction. We need suitable stopping points further down if the weather becomes too wild as we want to reduce the risk of not being able to do it at our chosen location at all or a modified version of that as then the marriage isn't valid without giving notice again. It would be nice to have other features and drama in the landscape nearby to take advantage of for photos after the climb like the Steall falls in Glen Nevis.

What are the torridon munroes like? Assynt? What are they like if there is still snow on the ground?  Or Ben Macdui in the cairngorms? I don't think we have ever needed to use more than basic navigational skills so I'm not sure whether we have the right skills for that one if it is foggy or is the path fairly well defined? We are looking at late april or May as usually there is a a warm spell to melt the snow by then.

Post edited at 13:35
 wiwwim 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Josoannoying:

Your user name is brilliant!

Mmm any day of the year can have such a huge range of weather conditions in the Scottish hills especially the higher ones if that’s what you are after. Late April/early May can still have a surprising amount of snow on many such that conditions can be very hard. I’ve had to abort a few walks at that time of year where someone in the party was not able to continue. I’ll therefore refrain from making suggestion of hills as it would have to be subject to a lot of assumptions.

However, I was actually at a wedding on Beinn Dorain, Bridge of Orchy so it can be done! The weather happened unfortunately to be so bad on the day with really high winds and horizontal rain that the ceremony had to be carried out in the relative shelter of the main bealach before BD situated between that and it’s sister Beinn an Dothairdh. It would have been too dangerous to have the whole wedding party up at the summit on that particular day.

Beinn Dorain is generally quite straightforward I’ve found as long as it is not a whiteout when navigation is very difficult, but it’s not a simple gentle walk by any means. Has some fantastic views in good conditions. You might want to research that one.

BTW the couple are still together many many years later and have a family since. Best of wishes for your plans, just take care and research and plan meticulously.

Post edited at 13:57

Ben Lawers?  The car park gives you a good head start and there's a smaller munro on the way you probably won't even notice but could be plan B if the weather turns bad.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/ben-lawers.shtml

Howard J 15 Oct 2021

> We are looking at late april or May as usually there is a a warm spell to melt the snow by then.

Don't count on this.  There could still be snow around then, and the weather in the Scottish hills can be fairly grim at any time of year.  It could be glorious, but also be prepared to hold the ceremony in horizontal sleet. Definitely have a Plan B ready. 

The innpinn? It doesn't tick all your boxes but it would be memorable...

Any of the Geal Charns should provide enough room.

Offwidth 15 Oct 2021

Ben Nevis will almost certainly still have snow on top then and is more likely than most other peaks to be in clag (when navigation up there can be serious and skills important). The far NW is my favourite part of the UK for mountain scenery and it's at its best in May. So, my choice would be Stac Polliadh as it's accessible and the views from the top are as good as any anywhere; but the final bit of scrambling and drops might be too much for you unless you don't mind not being at the very top. Flexibility would also help....one fixed day/time might turn out horrible but generally weather is good in May and forecasts are pretty good these days from about a few days out for fixing final plans. After a wonderful peek in a joyous peak on a great peak... go visit some of the lovely places in the region: amazing islands with white sand beaches, other nearby mountains that soar out of a mosaic of green and blue... delightful towns and villages....

Post edited at 14:11
 Route Adjuster 15 Oct 2021

Presumably you will have to be married by a certified registrar so their ability to get to where you want them to be might be most limiting factor.

I like your style by the way, a wedding is about the two people getting married not about fancy dresses and fancy parties so getting wed in your hiking gear sounds spot on.  Enjoy your day.

Kalna_kaza 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Route Adjuster:

This is actually the key point otherwise there is no (legally recognised) wedding. Your date will have to be fixed unless you book them for more than one day. Pick a mountain which has excellent scenery at the bottom such as a pretty loch and or trees. I would say the OP choice of hills is optimistic, go for a lower hill.

john irving 15 Oct 2021

I imagine you want to reconnoiter the options before committing, on the basis of some online recommendations?

Torridon is beautiful. Perhaps more rugged / scrambly than you would like. 
Ben Alligin is mostly a walk with some space near the summit, Liathach is very scrambly. Ben Eighe summit is a bit of a trek from the road  

there is a beautiful flat grassy area near the top of the buttresses in Coire Mhic ferracher

Assynt is very special  I have only been up the Munros on a terrible day 35 years ago, but the smaller hills are all amazing  

Suilven is always worth visiting but quite a long day, Cul Mor and Canisp are shorter trips from the road and have tremendous views  the South peak on Quiniag has a nice flat summit with some cliffs on the North side  

PaulJepson 15 Oct 2021

Are there no old or infirm who want to see you get married?

I remember an episode of Don't tell the Bride where the fella was desperate to get married on a hill. That'd be worth watching for sure. Think they ended up doing Snowdon because those less able could get the train up and still be involved (as it turned out, they did the wrong time of year when it was only going halfway up, so the summit marriage never happened). 

In terms of the views (if you get one), I don't think you can beat the north-west sandstone giants.  

Harry Jarvis 15 Oct 2021

It's not quite a Munro, but I'll suggest the Cobbler. It's a very appealing mountain, with a good path most of the way up, easily accessible (relative to Torridon!) and there is a decent-sized summit plateau for you and your celebrant and guests. There is of course also the added spice of 'threading the needle' on the central summit.

The downside is that it is a popular outing and you would probably be sharing your wedding with a lot of strangers (although that might introduce its own memorable moments).

coachio 15 Oct 2021

We just hosted a couple from the states on an elopement at our B&B on Skye. Until then we knew it was a thing but not how much of a thing a wild Scottish elopement is. They started at ours with two photographers capturing their day. They then had a brilliant day at a couple of the well known hilly tourists spots and even though the weather threw everything at them it just seemed to add enjoyment to their day. They ended up in an Indian in Portree in their sodden dress and suit for their wedding meal where they unbelievably met another bride and groom. Don't think I've seen two happier people ever.

Pm if you want some further info and I can send links to pics etc. 

CurlyStevo 15 Oct 2021

I'd avoid most the munros within a 3 hour drive of glasgow / edinburgh if you want to avoid the crowds, especially if you don't want a massive trek in to it.

Also you'd be best heading for one of the lower munros if you want to increase your chance of the summit not being snowy.

April would be quite a big gamble IMO, especially on the higher hills. I'd be thinking mid may is your best chance of good weather / conditions but up to mid june often isn't too bad either and midgies often don't get going higher up until late June or so.

Post edited at 16:08
 girlymonkey 15 Oct 2021

Mayar and Driesh often catch the good weather and are fairly straightforward underfoot. You do need good navigation at the top though if the cloud is down. I have never seen them particularly busy (although I haven't been up since the Covid mayhem, no idea how they have fared in this period.

CurlyStevo 15 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thats true, perhaps not the most scenic Munros in Scotland but rarely busy. I suppose those rounded ones near the A9 are probably fairly quiet (I've only done a couple there). Even Beinn Dòrain and Beinn an Dòthaidh have been fairly quiet when I've been and they are pretty nice and not too remote.

Doug 15 Oct 2021

Some 25 -30 years ago I went to a wedding held in Coire Lagan, Skye. The ceremony (by a local hill walking priest) was held just at the base of the  cliffs below the Cioch. This was a compromise between the couple's wish for a wedding somewhere on the ridge & accesibility by their parents & more elderly relatives. Reception was in the Sligachan. It was a resonable day weather wise (May) but they had a viillage hall somewhere as a backup in case it had been too wet/wild outdoors

CurlyStevo 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Stac Polliadh is not a munro and like you say a bit beyond the remit asked for. Some of the other hills around there are easier ground to get there and have a friendlier summit like Quinaig or Cul Mor etc Also not Munros though, but a really nice area like you say.

Post edited at 17:25
 Flinticus 15 Oct 2021

Beinn na Lap.

Easy ascent. Brilliant views (on a good day). Romantic train journey. Nearby hotel. Or stay at Fort William or along the line.

Toerag 15 Oct 2021

Does it have to be a mountain wedding or will anywhere outdoors do?

Andy Hardy 15 Oct 2021

Anaoch Mor and Cairngorm have mechanical uplift which might be a consideration, if any of your guests are less than sprightly.

profitofdoom 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Toerag:

> Does it have to be a mountain wedding or will anywhere outdoors do?

I highly, strongly recommend underwater weddings. Not too deep, 30 feet is fine 

wintertree 15 Oct 2021

Beinn a’ Chearcaill

Simple if dull ascent.  

Flat, other worldly summit plateau that could be a photo from a Mars lander.  All the space in the world for guests, photographer etc to get a good set up.  Unlikely to meet anyone else.

Big Torridons as your backdrop. 

Main problem is variability in conditions.  

Ridge 15 Oct 2021

Is there any reason it has to be on a summit, or why it has to be a Munro?

It's a lovely idea, but there are places, including smaller hills, where the view is equally, if not more, spectacular than from the higher mountains. You also have more 'Plan B' options should the weather turn.

kinley2 16 Oct 2021

Weather/safety issues aside....

The Munro Top of Beinn Eighe, Coinneach Mor has a nice, flat mossy area and has views down the Triple Buttress. Fancy camping there one of these days. Link to a pic.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1389/1462918691_f538b42c33_o.jpg

Sgorr Ruadh is another.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8487/8286460415_c57f22043f_o.jpg

Cairngorms have a number of potential spots but, in general, the Munro summits would not be the most dramatic as the broad summits often have lesser views, better spots away from the summits.

Personally I'd suggest any number of Corbetts and Grahams, they're often quiet and some have sublime views.

Beinn a Chearcaill as mentioned above.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5581/14458407072_41eb94a79a_o_d.jpg

Cul Mor

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4348/37287829171_bba3d76637_o_d.jpg

Beinn Ghobhlach

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5270/5658346372_2c70500f01_o.jpg

Sail Mhor

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7277/7718451600_544a0daa89_o.jpg

Sgurr an Airgid

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5470/16593800943_f9bbfa720e_o_d.jpg

Could go on and on tbh.

Good luck.

Lankyman 16 Oct 2021

Burnswark Hill is just over the border so not too far from Yorkshire. It's got space on top and is the site of an Iron Age hillfort. It also has two huge Roman siege camps so you and your guests can contemplate the likely goings on as you tie the knot. It's as well to bear in mind not everything turns out well in the end.

SFM 16 Oct 2021

Ben Chonzie could be worth a look. The approach is via Glen Lednock (which is lovely in itself) and once you leave the car, a track takes you most of the way with the summit being a broad plateau with good views all around(weather permitting).

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/ben-chonzie.shtml

deepsoup 16 Oct 2021

It seems like you're making it unnecessarily difficult for yourselves trying to incorporate the legal formalities into your unconventional outdoor wedding.  Would it be ridiculous to suggest splitting your wedding into a legal bit and a ceremonial bit? 

A minimalist registry office job first - the legal formality, followed by your proper ceremony with all the friends and family in attendance where you'd be free to organise the day and conduct the ceremony however you like without having to worry about whether it's 'legal' or not.

I've had a couple of friends organise their weddings this way, and there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that the rather beautiful somewhat unconventional ceremony I attended was the proper wedding.  That was where they made their vows in front of friends and family who wished them well, nobody cared that they'd already signed the legal document a couple of days beforehand.

Pero 18 Oct 2021

I'd say you want something accessible with a short ascent. And a decent backup plan. As others have said, you'll have to be prepared for snow well into May. You never know.

One option is Glencoe, with Buchaille Etive Mor as the primary option, Buachaille Etive Beag as a second option and Glencoe itself as the bad weather option. 

Another option is Schiehallion, with a fallback to Meall nan Tarmachan and the Falls of Dochart as the bad weather option.

The Cairngorms are too big, remote and snowy generally.

If you want something remote, look at Sgurr a'Mhaoraich. 

smithg 18 Oct 2021

Cairngorm.

Easy access, almost zero navigation (unless it's clagged in and wintery, in which case, bail), no one will be upset with you bringing a group as it's usually busy, but easy to get photos with nothing but hills in the background.

If the weather is too poor up high, the pine forests around Loch Morlich will also provide solitude and pretty views without having to go too far.

wercat 19 Oct 2021

to elope on a hill would mean you'd have to live there as it is the act of running away to get married!

You could still do it I suppose - go on the hill with a stern person who wants you not to marry x and then run away far far from them into the arms of the other ...

In reply to wercat:

Maybe the couple could run away from their current homes on the backs of Harry Hill and Lauryn Hill? I can’t see Damon Hill being up to it, he looks very slender. The heyday of Hill riding would have been when Benny and Jimmy were alive. What a site that would have made. 

tlouth7 19 Oct 2021

Not a munro but how about Ben Vrackie? It's a reasonably short, but interesting walk (no scrambling). The summit has excellent views and feeling of exposure, but a fair bit of space.

It's also pretty easy to get to, and you would be spoilt for choice if you wanted to stay in a nice hotel nearby.

Also being further East than most it might have more reliable weather.

freeflyer 19 Oct 2021

Thankyou for brightening up my wet and gloomy day

My main comment would be that the drama of the location and the ceremony is very important.

I once went to a wedding in a ruined abbey, which sounded like it could be good, but in fact it was awful. We all stood around for a couple of hours in inappropriate clothing in spitting rain trying to find cover (there was none), listened to a couple of boring speeches, drank a glass of champagne and ate an inadequate piece of chocolate cake, then then went gratefully home. It was made much worse by the knowledge that I had turned down a three day wedding in the Gers in south-west France, because the invites arrived in the wrong order; this was a mistake.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...