UKC

Experience Leading Expedition Groups

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Boulderdash86 07 Nov 2012
Afternoon

I was wondering if people know of companies/ best way of getting group expedition experience up - I am applying to World Challenge but would also like to know if there are other places in which you can gain leadership experience. I already help out with DofE and sometime Ten Tors but thats more letting the Groups go off by themselves and you remote supervise. I have Summer ML, SPA (training) and got Winter ML training in Jan 2013 - so next year I would like to try and increase Group Leading Work and get some good quality expeds under my belt.

Thanks for your time

BD
 sheffieldchris 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86:
If you get on the world challenge leader team you will get a months worth of experience straight away. Some on here may mock at taking a group of teenagers on what is mostly easy stuff walking wise, but having lead over 5 now the walking is just the start of the experience. You will have to deal with things 24 7 and when you get back to leading at home you will be surprised how easy it all seems in comparison.

Have you thought of joining the TA, they do a lot more adventure training than most people realise and by holding a qualification you will be able to lead groups straight away.
The Army mountaineering association also carry out trips all over the world they have just come back from the Antarctic and normally go to the greater ranges every 4 years or so.

I very much doubt you would have to worry about Afghanistan we will be home by the time you are trained and would bet my car there will be no more foreign escapades until the coffers are full again.
billy no-mates 07 Nov 2012
In reply to sheffieldchris:
> (In reply to Boulderdash86)
>
> by holding a qualification you will be able to lead groups straight away.

You'd have to transfer to the Army system. I am ML, but not JSMEL, therefore cannot take groups out. The TA and army in general do little AT, the majority of mountaineers do so as groups of friends in their own time.

> The Army mountaineering association also carry out trips all over the world they have just come back from the Antarctic and normally go to the greater ranges every 4 years or so.

You also need to be employed in a unit that can spare you for the training and expedition (and pay you,) I have yet to find such a unit.
>
> worry about Afghanistan

It's a volunteer organisation (like the regulars, you don't have to go if you don't want to (but what's the point then...))
 annieman 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: World Challenge, Wilderness Expertise, Outlook Expeditions all offer a very similar product. Overseas month long expeditions. Been there, have the T shirt. It's good but very demanding 24/7 as above.

Wilderness also have work in the UK - DofE, Activity Camps. Try also Class Adventure. Try Freelance Outdoor Instructors on Facebook. Try IOL jobs page. Try Bluedome jobs.

A wide range of choice and reward. If you are starting out these are good places to start, gain experience and network with others to find other interesting positions.

Good luck
 Pete Pozman 07 Nov 2012
In reply to annieman: I recently went on a selection event for an expedition company (Camps International). I have ML and years (perhaps too many?) of experience as a senior teacher. The other people on the event (most in their twenties) were mostly very experienced already in leading and supporting teenagers overseas and at home and had an impressive array of outdoor interests, skills and qualifications. Operation Raleigh (?) was mentioned.
I thought the ability to genuinely lead a large group of adults and children in all aspects of a months experience was the key; travel arrangements, personal crises, relationships etc was more important than mountain leading/survival/first aid, though they're important too.
I'd recommend attending a selection event, just send in a CV. I found it a very valuable learning experience personally. But you need to be very quick on your feet mentally, and right on top of your game and confident. They don't want a rock hard climber who mumbles.You need to really like teenagers too!
 alexcollins123 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86:

Some explorer groups would love to have someone like you on their books to help lead expeditions throughout the world! (Explorers being the group up from Scouts aged 14-18)
OP Boulderdash86 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: Thaks for all the responses, well hopefully I'm on world challenge Potential Leaders Course soon - so will see how that goes.
 Pete Pozman 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: Good luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...