UKC

G20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frank Boase 03 Jan 2020

Good Afternoon,

Has anybody walked the G20 in Corsica?

Your impressions/how tough?

Thanks for your time.

jon massey 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

GR20? Did it in 2018, north to south. Found days 2-3 tough, but stuck with it and found a rhythm: "hike your own hike". Did it September: always space in the huts (we never booked), so you can travel very light. All huts sell food for the trail. Food is expensive: about 30 euros evening meal, a bed a further 8 euros. Never a problem with water: managed carrying 1.5 litres max. Huts are outrageously basic: one or two warm showers on the route, but most just a cold tap. But that's all part of the appeal and challenge. Route finding simple: virtually impossible to lose it. Biggest tip: carry as little as possible. 2 of everything is more than adequate: wash clothes each night, and hang off ruc sack to dry the following day as you walk.

mbh 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

Only the northern half, SN from Vizzavona in 2011 for what it's worth now, with three not very outdoorsy teenagers, who all coped admirably despite that it is very hilly. There was only actual crying once, on the first big ascent up from the railway station, and that was when she fell over. The next day, when we got really soaked, that and how we'd (allegedly) mis-sold the whole thing to them were just stories to entertain the rest of the hut when finally we were dry and warm. If you set off each day when everyone else does, and do one hut at a time, you typically arrive in the early afternoon, and then can spend the rest of the day reclined on a rock in the sun with a tipple of your choice. So it's that tough.

We stayed in the refuges, which I liked but which latterly have acquired a reputation for bedbugs. Camping at the refuges is an  option, including hiring tents, I think. I'd probably do that, next time.

Eating in is really expensive and not always very good, especially the breakfasts.

edit:

The Cicerone Paddy Dillon guide is OK, but the French and German guides had better maps.

Going SN you are in the minority.

Personal highlight: Scrambling up and down Paglia Orba next to Ciottulu di i Mori before everyone else got up.

Post edited at 15:18
 Pedro50 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

Long thread last year - search GR20. Did it in 12 days in early June 2006, camping. Very worthwhile though probably crowded now. Reasonable fitness required for 6-7 hour days. 

OP Frank Boase 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

This is not a reply, it's a question.

Would the people who kindly/helpfully replied suggest boots for this walk.

My preference would be for leather  (very un-pc).

But willing to hear another point of view.

Again thanks for your time. 

JStearn 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

I hiked it in 2017, there's a lot of up and down but it's not as bad as its reputation suggests. As with any other long-distance trail I would recommend trail runners and going as light as possible. This is even more important on the GR20 as there is a lot of downhill on bouldery trails so a heavy load (including boots) will knacker your knees. I've recently hiked the Transcaucasian Trail in a pair of North Face Hedgehogs and they are very comfortable for me, YMMV.

Solsbury 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase: Hi, I did it S-N in Salomen Exit Low approach shoes, I so loved those shoes. It was fine, enough support across the foot and nice and nimble.

Worth building in time to do the two summit, whose names escapes me, right now. This allows you to really appreciate the scale of the mountains in relationship to the island.

Septmeber is good, still warn, hot, but less crowded, S-N means you dont have the un in your eyes and you are walking against the flow of people so yu see more people for an hour or so and then very quiet.

mbh 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

When we did it, in late July, the whole thing was dry.

I wore flimsy* Inov8 roclite trail running shoes and was perfectly happy with them. 

I saw people doing it in all sorts, including Nepal Extremes.

*not so flimsy: I later attempted the BGR in them, and 9 /12 years on they now are my allotment footwear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...