UKC

GPS recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Wimbush 15 Mar 2018

Has anyone got any advise or recommendations about gps devises for hill walking? I’m tempted by the Garmin GPS Map 64, but the screen looks a bit small.ive also Been looking at one of the Satmap ones.. bigger screens but getting quite expensive. I guess battery life is an issue as well. Any advise?

Dark-Cloud 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Pete Wimbush:

Do you need a dedicated one ?

For quick reference checks against a map  i just use one of the many apps for iphone

OP Pete Wimbush 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I’ve used my phone in the past, but have not always found it to be totally reliable. Battery life is also an issue. 

Dark-Cloud 15 Mar 2018

OK, was just a thought, more than happy with my iPhone for what i use it for, depends what you want it for really, if its constant use for following a route etc. then i agree a dedicated unit will be better.

Welsh Kate 15 Mar 2018

I've used the Satmap Active 10, Active 12 and now the 20. Tbh I wouldn't use a different dedicated unit, and the latest one which charges on a standard micro usb and can be used with push buttons (for gloved hands) or touch screen is just awesome. I'll use my phone if I just want a quick grid ref, but phone gps eats the battery, so a dedicated unit is safer in terms of power consumption.

Can't comment on the Garmin - I'm happy to admit that I'm a Satmap fan.

Colin Wells 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Welsh Kate:

How are you finding the robustness of the micro USB cover on the Satmap 20 Kate?

Several folk have apparently had problems with this falling off and thereby rendering the unit somewhat less than waterproof! (It could just be that they're ham-fisted lummoxes of course).

Battery life on the written specs doesn't look too impressive compared to, say, Garmins - but how do you feel it stacks up in real world usage?

Cheers,

Col

Welsh Kate 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Colin Wells:

The cover's still there, and seems to be fine, but I do keep it in the pouch I got with my original Satmap (even though it's slightly too long for it) so it's protected. I had more problems with the 10 whose charge cover largely tore off quite quickly.

Haven't run down the battery yet on the hill, I think I charge it more regularly than the 10 or 12 but that's because it's easier to charge (I don't have to take it out of the waterproof covering the others were in in order to access the charging port). But it's early days, I only got it at Christmas and it hasn't had multiple days on the hill in succession yet.

blurty 15 Mar 2018

I've got an old SatMap 10 - still works very well. I got it for Scottish/ Alps ski-touring (after we'd skiid down the wrong valley in poor vis). The LiOn battery will last about a week of daily use, if power settings are set to max longevity. I've got an AAA adaptor too. They are very waterproof and the rout planning website is OK)

That all said, for general hill walking and only needing to check a position in case of cock-up I'd use a phone.

Post edited at 15:41
 Tringa 15 Mar 2018
In reply to blurty:

I'm old school so, when I need it, I always have a map and compass.

However, I also have the OS Locate (https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-locate) app on my phone. Provided the GPS system is working it will give you your six figure grid reference. At the least it is quite fun and useful and could, when combined with a map, be a lifesaver. I have tested it out a few times and it seems to be very accurate.

More for interest than anything else I have the OS maps (about £25 for a year's subscription) and also Viewranger. The maps are not as detailed as those of the OS but they are free.

Dave

Colin Wells 15 Mar 2018

Hi Pete

I use/have used a range of GPS units over many years for both work and play and I think it's probably safe to say the perfect device doesn't exist! (And probably never will).

The Garmin GPSMap 64 is, however, a solid & reliable choice - as long as you can put up with Garmin's clunky interface and the fact that OS map resolution looks pants compared to your average smartphone rendering. I personally feel the screen size is adequate for regular navigating - it's always going to be a compromise in order to keep weight down and battery life reasonable. It has good satellite reception and finds a lock speedily even in wooded areas and the processor is also adequately fast - quick enough not to be annoying as it is on smaller units such as eTrex for example. (Also now has the facility to charge rechargeable batteries in the unit via micro USB, rather than having to use a separate battery charger - great for reducing clutter and when travelling)

eTrex are great as get-out-of-jail units for doing infrequent position checks as they are so small and light and with long battery life that you can put them in a pocket and forget about them till you need them. But you also need the patience of Job to use them for intensive navigation as the map rendering is painfully slow - plus the 'joystick' is an utter pain to use.

The other potential show-stopping disadvantage to Garmin units (but this is more or less true of other manufacturers too) is the ridiculously eye-popping amount they demand for OS mapping. Luckily, eBay (other internet auction sites are available) is your friend here if you are prepared to 'do a bit of research', otherwise they are prohibitively expensive for most folks.

As many others have noted, the 'best' GPS in fine weather is probably a smartphone with OS mapping. The obvious disadvantages to this (relatively poor battery life and generally not waterproof, plus the batteries draining quickly when it's properly cold) can be obviated to an extent by waterproof cases and carrying a small charging pack. (And if you are lucky enough to own an old iPhone3g/3gs/4 or 4s you can get a Magellan Toughcase for just a few quid on eBay these days which converts your phone into a bomb-proof, waterproof, ruggedised GPS with double the battery life and a higher precision antenna. This is defintely the best GPS I've ever used).

Even then, the touch screen will not work properly if it is really siling down - another victory chalked up for dedicated GPS units with buttons.

The new Satmap 20 - which I have no experience of sadly - looks rather nice and sounds like it might tick many of the boxes with relatively good resolution screen and both touchscreen capability and buttons for when it's soaking. But it is relatively heavy, chunky and expensive - and many reviewers seem to have been less than impressed with its robustness. But it would be good to hear some real word opinions from normal users rather than tech- or outdoors reviewer types.

Cheers,

Col

Colin Wells 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks for that Kate, always good to hear how people find these things in practical terms.

Cheers, Col

Removed User 15 Mar 2018

Got an Etrex 10. Mostly lives in the bottom of the rucksack and only fired up in extremitus. 

Thanks for all the advise from everyone. That was just the sort of information I was looking for. 

In reply to Colin Wells:

Thanks for all that info Colin. I’ve been using my phone up until now, but it just wipes the battery out!

In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks for that

Trangia 15 Mar 2018

>Battery life is also an issue. 

Not with a  battery pack which will cost about £30 and will last all day.

I’ve had a Garmin 64 for some 8yrs. Never had any problem with it. I should say that I didn’t get it for the maps though but they are ok in use; I always have carried paper maps and a compass which can and are used for more precise mapping when required.

Edit: The 64 is so easy to use with winter gloves on compare with some other units. It was the main reason at the time that swayed me as some of the early unit with maps had touch screens which IMO didn’t then quite work easily with thick gloves.

Post edited at 19:40
 FreeHeelSki 17 Mar 2018
In reply to Colin Wells:

Thanks Col, the Magellan Toughcase looks a great solution.  I was surprised how much I relied on Viewranger this Scottish season, but I've always been very reluctant to use my phone due to it being my emergency comms.  

A Magellan is now inbound from the States... 

Thanks again Col.

StuDoig 17 Mar 2018

Hi Pete,

I've a 62s (64s's predecessor) and find it a great wee unit for mountaineering.  Smaller screen but I find it fine for general nav use, only restriction is trying to get an overview of the terrain.  Satmap isn't much better though.  

62s has been reliable and will normally last me a full weekend tracking without running out of battery.  Easily customisation to reduce movement through screens.  Garmin mapping isn't the best, it's not really HD, this is due to the amount of info the jam in behind the tiles to make them routable so that it can be used as sat nav.

No issues using it in crappy weather, though the buttons can be a little small for big gloves.

I'd certainly recommend it. 

I also use phone apps (view ranger), but last weekend dropped my phone and seems to have knackered the GPS function.  I've also had problems with the touchscreen in cold and wet (or both!) conditions so whilst I'm happy to use, I'd not rely on it in dodgy conditions (even before I broke it....).  

Cheers,

Stu

Root1 17 Mar 2018

Viewranger on a phone with  battery case for backup. I tend to only switch on the phone if needed for getting out of a tight spot or as backup to a map and compass. Used seriously in anger in aCairngorm blizzard successfuly. 

A small Ortlieb bag is useful as you can still use the screen when the phone is inside. 

Post edited at 14:40
 PB40 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Root1:

I also use viewranger for walking and cycling, I  have a anker portable charger for batter..  It's great when the visibility is poor or plotting routes before you head out.  Iv used it for years now and it's free on your smartphone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...