UKC

Hadrians Wall walk: accommodation tips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 20 Mar 2019

I'm planning a trip on the HW walk in May for me & my nephew. Apart from looking in the usual places/sources (guidebooks, online etc), does anyone have any particularly useful tips for planning/booking overnight stays on HW.  I'm aiming for B&B for two, but happy to go a bit above (hotel) or below (hostel) depending on availability etc.  Does anyone have any tips/gotchas, and particularly any "do not miss" recommendations (places that you may know or have stayed and they simply just added to the whole experience, in a good way, of the trip); by that, I mean the equivalent of the ODG or the Wasdale Head Inn etc, so places that if you happen to be walking past, you should stop in etc even if only for a drink if not the night.

TIA

acrkirby 20 Mar 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

It really depends on how many days you want to take as this really decides your accommodation, personally i do it in 4 days but i think most people prefer a 5 or 6 day trip.

Whatever your choice is i strongly recommend the Youth Hostel at twice brewed, its dead on half way is less than 5 minutes from the trail and is attached to the newly renovated museum (and the local pub).

Also right next to peel and crag lough for a cheeky climb  

Other than that im slightly drawing a blank on hostels as i usually camp but im sure you can find something, if not the campsites are numerous, directly on the path and treat you to some glorious Northumbrian views.

Other pubs work a visit: The mile castle, Errington arms

MeMeMe 20 Mar 2019

We mostly camped but we did stay in the youth hostel in Greenhead which was cheap and cheerful but perfectly nice and the people running it were really friendly.

Or the Sampson Inn in Gilsland does accommodation which I've not stayed in but it's a nice pub.

We made the mistake of staying in the Euro Hostel in Newcastle for the night before starting which was a bit of a mistake, it was a right dump and really noisy!

rlocock 20 Mar 2019

We did the North West Way a couple of years back, It follows Hadrians Wall for the last two days and we used Florries On The Wall bunkhouse. Very comfortable with good food, and licensed!

In reply to acrkirby:

+1 for the new Youth Hostel - excellent accommodation and breakfast but I still visited the Pub next door for a brilliant meal. If you need a rest day Housesteads or Vindolanda are worth a visit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...